Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin incar power cable with combo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin incar power cable with combo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kieran
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Garmin incar power cable with combo Reply with quote

I'm running TomTom2 on my Ipaq 39xx using my Garmin Vista as a GPS sourch via your combo cable that powers my ipaq. A fantastic set which but really compromised by the battery life of the Garim Vista that EATS batteries.

I've tried using rechargables but it is a clumsy solution.

I read on the PC mobile website that you do not sell a Garmin & Ipaq power combo. Is this still true? why not? I know it is technically feasible as I remeber a guy in N Ireland selling a bespoke cable that powered both.

All help appreciated,

Kieran
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many reasons, both technical issues and viablility.

Etrex series use 3v so separate power supply (regulator) has to be used apart from the one for the PDA (5v).

Garmin R series are even worse, with the same connector different GPS requires a wide range of input ranging from 3v (76), 5v, to 8-12v. So a different one has to be made for different models. If one use a 12v on in
a 3v device (as the connector is the same, the mistake is quite easy), the
GPS will certainly be ruined.

Moreover, most of the GPS, eTrex particularly, happily run on batteries for hours (2 in eTrex should last 10 hors or more, you just have to make sure you use good rechargeable batteries). It really is not an issue as you just hav to carry more batteries. Unless you will be in the middle of nowhere for many days (you can still charge AA batteries in car) but that situation is rare.

If you still have to use car power for your GPS, you can still fall back to the combo serial cable you get from the GPS manufacturer, and have a different setup. Orthere are suppliers (e.g. supplynet.com) who sell the thing you want, but we stick to our original believe that it is not necessary.

Everything is possible, it may cost more or not so neat.
Sometimes one cannot have everything.

Believe me, batteries for the eTrex is the best solution. It is a lot neater set up. You probably used not so good batteries (or not properly charged).
Kieran
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Greedy Vista! Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed reply. I take your point on the batteries however the Vista is particularly greedy, a normal etrex gives 22hrs on 2xAA whilst the Vista gives 12hrs - these are the manufactures figures which I have yet to emulate - usually much less even with most of the options switched off. Ideally I wanted a plug and go solution without the hassle of a pocketful of rechargables.

Thanks again for the recommendations & advice

Kieran
AlanS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 hours battery life? Did you read the comment they put with it? You need to look more carefully at what is actually written. not what you think they are saying because it sounds good.

'Battery Life
The quoted figure reflects battery life when using Battery Saver Mode. '

Normal operation is more relevant here for your use of the machine not a marketing inspired impractical long life in the case of routing software because the gps receiver meust be awake to track satellites, not sleeping.

If you are walking you can use the power saving effectively- you only need to look at where you are every now and then- inbetween these points you can save power.

Continous tracking used with mapping software uses more power- I probably get around 12 hours or so depending on the batteries when used with mapping software. This varies depending on the battery make/type.

Bottom line is they are right in what they say, but that is not how you are using the machine. It's no good being dissatisfied - they are right. You need to take a little more care with claims- understand exactly what manufacturers are claiming, don't assume that everything fits your situation. It makes more sense for them to be able to use a long life as a marketing claim, not a shorter life- no wonder Companies do it, not just Garmin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: