Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best USA maps for Navtech/Medion PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best USA maps for Navtech/Medion PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick2me
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Best USA maps for Navtech/Medion PDA Reply with quote

Is it possible to obtain maps for USA that will run on the Medion (Aldi) PDA, either with Navtech or other software?

I need Greater Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Florida Central and South,
with spoken directions.

I have seen BMW and other make of Navtech CD's. Do the maps on these CD's work on the PDA?

Or is there a better system than Navtech for USA maps.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navtech is a map data provider (as is TeleAtlas), they don't sell street routing programs. Your PDA can run any of the street navigation programs, independent from the map data origin.

Navtech originated maps are more precise than TeleAtlas based maps, but the latter are more current. And to complicate mappters more, this also varies from state to state.

I would recommend you ignore the map data provider and rather focus on what is important for you in a street navigation program. There are plenty of them available for the US - Destinator, CoPilot, Mapopolis, ToimTom, TeleType etc etc. They all cover the areas that you entioned.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I use the TomTom Package in the USA on my Medion, and would recommend it as about the best overall, it does have its niggles but a lot less than some of the others

It will cost you about £130 in the UK, about $150 in the US, Its on 7 CDs and you can load in sections, so if you have a 1GB card you can load the whole of the USA, 256MB gives you about 1/3 of the US, I tend to keep 2 256MB cards loaded, 1 with West Coast and one with East Coast Its fairly hard to get lost on I10 in between the edges Laughing

Worth a look if you dont mind spending £130, depends on how much you use it, it my case 40k miles a year in the US makes it a worthwhile investment

Regards

Victoria
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed I didn't answer your other question regarding the car navigation packages. For business reasons it is not possible to re-use those CDs even though they may be based on the same map provider. It is not in the vendor's interest to make map formats interchangeable, most times not even within different versions of the same program (remember TomTom 1 to 2 or Mapopolis NB to NC). The vendors have to buy the map data from the map providers regularly, and they need to get these costs covered somehow.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: