Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - eTrex Legend HELP - HIDE or DISABLE the basemap
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

eTrex Legend HELP - HIDE or DISABLE the basemap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppeccin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: eTrex Legend HELP - HIDE or DISABLE the basemap Reply with quote

Hello,

Please help me.
Does anyone know any way to HIDE or DELETE the built in basemap?

I live in Brazil, and the basemap for my region is low-detailed and completely wrong. It's VERY annoying to use the Legend with this map showing!
It's useless to me.

I am not a newbie (I think! :D ), and already tried all of the options and read the entire manual and the Garmin site and tech support. Did not find any help. Even after dowloading other MapSource maps IT IS STILL THERE!

Please help me, I'm desperate. Sad

Apologies for my English.
Thanks,
Paulo

MORE INFO BELOW.

I live in Brazil (state of Sao Paulo), and have recently purchased a Legend.
Started using it, and noticed how low-detailed the basemap is for my region. The problem is not only the lack of detail, the roads are in the WRONG positions.
I've already tried loading some other mapsource maps to the unit, but the problem persists. The basemap is still showing. It's always there! Whenever a drive through a certain road, the track shows completely off the road shown on the basemap! It's very bad....

I see Garmin does not have any product that has the right maps for my region, so I think the only solution is to disable the basemap.

Does any one know a solution to this? Maybe a software update? A non-documented key sequence?

PLEASE HELP!
Paulo
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo, AFAIK there is no way of removing the basemap on Garmin handhelds. From what I recall this is loaded into the firmware, some people have managed to change the basemap by loading on an incorrect firmware in the past but this can break the GPS and I think Garmin now protect from this.

The basemaps really aren't that great, the UK basemap is only a proximation.

The basemap will still reside even if you download mapsource maps, but I think the maps overwrite the area of the basemap you have downloaded to although I have only used MapSource on a GPSMap76S.
ppeccin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave!

Anyone else? Please!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bad news is that you can't remove the basemap.

There may be a couple of things you can do though.

Zoom out on the map so it looks like you are closer to the road. The basemap is not a detailed map so if you over zoom on it then it looks worse.

Alternatively you could have a look around for maps of Brazil. Garmin don't do them but if you are keen enough then you can create some yourself!

Check out GPSMapEdit which allows you to create uploadable maps for your Garmin GPS. You may be able to scan a paper map and create yourself a map of your area. It's a lot of work but may be an interesting project.

http://kgy.narod.ru/util/mapedit/mapedit_e.htm

You could create yourself a blank map of your area and upload that. The basemap will still appear for wide zooms (where the rough accuracy is not such a problem) and then disappear as you zoom into your blank custom made map.

Also take a look at http://www.gpstm.com/port/ (Em Português!) Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: