Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Strange navigation instructions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange navigation instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwren
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Strange navigation instructions Reply with quote

Can anybody beat this for the most ridiculous route instructions given by a TT One?
Earlier today I was travelling home from central Manchester and thoght I would try the shortest route according to TT.
About 2 miles into the journey I reached a crossroad where I know I have to turn right. The TT thought it would be a good idea to turn left into a cul-de-sac, turn around when possible and then go straight on.Thus acheiving exactly the same as turning right. At first I thought I may have missed some restriction on turning right but no. I know this area well and the TT also has the roads named incorrectly.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it lost the plot and then corrected.. thinking i am in a field while going down the AI and trying to persuade me to make a miraculous fifty foot leap into the air and turn right every time i pass under a flyover is the most hilarious example i can think off..

at least your "correction" made sense even if the initial turn left didnt..

its pretty good as a general rule at correcting.. i quite often ignore it for one reason or another.. it goes thru the turn around routine for a while then it computes another route from wherever u are.. its one feature i like about the device.. its ability to accomodate my ignoring it.. he he

trog
jwren
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "shortest route" an option best avoided. Unless your fond of getting out of the car to open farm gates.
By the way this turn left then turn around routine was not a correction, it was in the route as originally calculated.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the open farm gates thing.. never had mine make such a silly mistake thow as u mention deliberately..

trog
jwren
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Garmin i3 which tried to send me down two tractor ruts through a field in Derbyshire once but to be fair it was shown as a road on the map.
The TT seems a better unit in as far as keeping a lock on your actual location but, it seems to me that the maps and routing software on the Garmin units are superior.
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, in defence of TomTom (for once). Last year I was in Cornwall travelling west towards Looe. At a particular roundabout TomTom told me to turn right i.e. away from the coast - even though I knew I should really be heading south. I allowed 'common sense' to prevail and turned left. In a fit of pique TomTom then showed me as travelling about 100 yards to the right of my true position, through fields. No matter, I followed the road signs and, sure enough arrived in Looe. The following day, returning to Looe with time on my hands, I decided to see where TomTom's 'magical mystery tour' was going to take me and, at the same roundabout followed the instructions and turned right. After a few hundred yards I was directed to turn left, and the road led directly into Looe along a far better road than the one I had used the previous day! Embarassed Embarassed
jwren
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really knocking the TT one, I think it's a good piece of hardware, good value for money, but somewhat let down by the software.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Croydon today (from Bristol). I put the identical destination into both my devices, GO700 and GO710 (they both have "the latest Software and the latest Maps"). The 700 gave me a route via M25 and 138 miles. The 710 gave me Wandsworth etc and 118 miles. I SHOULD have gone round the M25 (perhaps), but saved 20 miles and nearly half a gallon of fuel by taking three hours instead of two and a half. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Arimus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was one set to shortest and one to fastest?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arimus wrote:
Was one set to shortest and one to fastest?

No, both were set to fastest. I put it down to some small differences between software and maps on both devices - as I ruefully said, both have "latest software and maps" - no doubt one has almost the latest and the other has less than almost the latest! For example, the 710 doesn't know the speed limit from Chiswick Roundabout to Hammersmith, but the 700 does. I should have added that I chose to use the shorter distance because they BOTH gave the same ETA - 1:26pm (and I got there at 2pm).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do a lot of backroad touring.. what impresed me is the sheer detail on the gb maps.. forest tracks.. u name it.. its on the map.. a plus side if u want forest tracks.. a downside if u never want to get sent down them.. or over a cliff cos the village the road goes to has long since disappeared into the sea.. he he he

its a plus to me.. but..

trog

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: