Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Back end of beyond
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Back end of beyond

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noddydog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Back end of beyond Reply with quote

I'm a Video Director/Cameraman and I've just landed a job with a Charity that means I will be doing quite a lot of projects out in Asia. We are talking about going to remote places in countries like China, Vietnam, Korea, etc.

In quite a few of those countries they do not use the Western Alphabet and so street names become almost illegible and it is very easy to get lost without a soul in the world to tell you where to go.

Obviously a GPS is going to be a must, but I need something with some sort of street level mapping. Someone suggested that I get a Garmin 60CS however I have two GPS units sat here at home. One of them is a little Holux Bluetooth GPS receiver (GPSlim 236). Normally I use this with my Ipaq 4150 PDA to navigate using TomTom. The other unit is a basic all in one Garmin eTrex.

Can someone tell me if there is some decent software that I can purchase that I will allow me to download specific world regions onto my PDA (store on SD) and then use it with the Holux GPS to get street level mapping? Remember this software needs to support bluetooth. Or will I have to purchase something like the Garmin 60CS or similar?

Any responses are very much appreciated.
noddydog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess from the lack of response that I might be expecting too much in terms of decent street level maps of Asia? However I have an old version of MS Autoroute that allows me to download chunks of maps (mainly Europe) from the main programme onto my PDA and then when it's connected to my eTrex (via cable) I was able to see my position on the map. Admittedly these maps don't have a lot of detail, anything is better than nothing. Is there any software like that out there our does Autoroute now cover Asia?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of is to use [url]www.oziexplorer.com [/url] to calibrate scanned maps and use these on your PDA. The problem there is that you would need to know the co-ordinates of the map very accurately.

Also it wouldn't do routing.

Phil
noddydog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this;

http://www.mgmaps.com/

Has anyone used it and is it accurate?
noddydog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the above. Is it any good?
noddydog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: