Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REDUCTION IN SPEED CAMERA DATABASE THIS MONTH
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REDUCTION IN SPEED CAMERA DATABASE THIS MONTH
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

MaFt made passing reference to a team of Moderators/Verifiers.... Someone then said they found the concept "amazing", basically saying nothing had changed. Well, I'll leave it up to MaFt to make any "official" announcement.

Fair enough, i shall give the people more info about the verifiers.

at present we have a team of 27 verifiers who get sent regular updates of all the pending submissions for cameras around the uk. they drive round seeing if cameras really are there (or in the case of a mobile site whether the area looks feasible) - this all goes into confirming the activation of cameras in the database.

if another set number of submissions with similar information/location are sent in before the verifiers have got there then that is classed as being verified too.

anything else you'd like to know?

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
Must say I am miffed that the mobile camera that I reported (and caught a van ahead of me) has been removed.

which one are you referring to?

25631 51.62594 -2.13172 Mobile30

25637 51.62521 -2.12989 Mobile30

26013 51.91464 -2.20909 Mobile50

MaFt
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dennis - I agree totally. If more people took the time to report cameras and in turn to help others then we wouldn't be in this situation. I reported one mobile to Mods this week that has been listed with incorrect speed for actual road (cam 40, road 60) and doesn't actually exist (we work 100 yards from the site) so I understand the Mods wanting to verify sites. However a site which I reported and was on the database has been removed because it hasn't been verified. Can't win really.

@ Andy_P - agree - the PGPS databse was and probably still is better - tried the TT data today and notice misktakes in their database havent been corrected in 6 months. Just a bit narked this AM when the cam I reported has been removed. I stand corrected.

I believe the Mods are only implementing the rules that already existed.
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MaFt

the first and second is the same camera and is the one I reported.
the third is in the North Sea (If i pasted the co-ords into Autoroute correctly).

Cheers

Bad day this AM keep up good work!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the third is in the North Sea (If i pasted the co-ords into Autoroute correctly)......Bad day this AM keep up good work!
The third one is Mobile 26013@50 located on the A38, I have highlighted this example as it goes someway to explain the problems when people quote locations, and differences between the various systems. Hence the need for verification of locations, a camera at sea is an easy mistake to make, but a similar mistake could easily move the location of a camera miles away from its true location - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... on the A38 at the wonderfully named "Notron Juxta Kempsey" :P
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Oh I see, PGPSW remove cameras so people can report them as new cameras, the first one gets free life membership. Yeah right, an ideal way of generating more revenue.
I'm not sure how this increases revenue, and even more importantly I don't believe PGPSW give out liftetime subscriptions for mobile cameras.
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like the bad AM continues to PM then - pasted correctly it is Norton (Glos) and yes the Gasto 50 has been removed a while ago.

Better go for a lie down Guinness
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt
Can you please say whether or not we can have the unverified ones in a separate list? Sounds as though it will solve the problem in a simple way to suit all.
colinm345
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
colinm345 wrote:
I find this quite worrying as it is a toss up whether to subscribe to this database or the gar min one,as I have just had a Nuvi 300 I was going with this one but now I am a little unsure as it looks like empty boxes are being deleted but what happens if they go live again Confused

The decision of course assumes that Garmin's database is better! There is no perfect system for collating and verifying this type of database but we work very hard to make ours as good as it can be. Garmin buy in their data and my experience of their provider is that whilst the data is good it is far from complete.

If a camera location goes 'live' again then we will receive a report and it will be added.

No not at all I tend to favour this one to be honest I just want to clarify a few things but as people have already said Id rather have false alerts as well as the real ones Smile to keep me on my toes Smile
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, removing the M42 empty boxes is in line with the M25 speed cameras - although nearly every gantry with a speed limit on it has white lines painted on the road, and many are capable of being fitted with speed cameras (*), the PGPSW database only contains the locations of where the speed cameras are actually located.

(*) Despite the fact some have a bridge next to them preventing the gantry from ever being used, as it would simply take a picture of the bridge, not the speeding car!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MaFt

the first and second is the same camera and is the one I reported.
the third is in the North Sea (If i pasted the co-ords into Autoroute correctly).

Cheers

Bad day this AM keep up good work!

Mikealder has already pointed out the problem with two reports for one camera.

Now for ringing alarm bells - that number of yours did for me.
Let me hold my hand up to involvement with Mobile 26013 at Norton. I submitted the removal of a Gatso from that point, saying it wasn't there and the road markings were very worn out. I then received a message from somebody at pgpsw asking if it was possible a mobile could have taken its place (which they'd had submitted) and on my next trip that way I agreed a mobile would fit in.

Looking at the locations for 25631 and 25637, I also remember thinking those were in a pretty poor spot - narrow bending road, so if they're gone I couldn't disagree with it - How did you choose the coordinates? Next time I'm up that way I'll have another look, but I'd have sworn there was no roadside space for even one mobile van between Pump Lane and well along the road towards Tetbury, let alone two - the problems of two first-time reports being put into the Database unchecked! If the pgpsw checker went past Pump lane then turned up to Long Newnton, he/she would not see anything. I remember the day and the cameras well, because having done my delivery to Chipping Campden, I chose to come home the "scenic" route which took me through a very decent ford on a day of downpours and floods throughout the land! The site of those "two" cameras was partly blocked by a landrover and trailer full of dogs and folk with flags (I coudn't pass it, too narrow) I think going trailing. Oh and by the way, these two have not been removed by pgpsw by this update - I've checked back with my old downloads and they only seemed to last until early December - they've been gone more than a month.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Quote:
If there are only 50 added thisd month and 1000 deleted, I think I will take a chance and not update this month.

That's rather contradictory, you would rather have false alerts yet are also willing to take a risk by not updating this month! It only takes one camera after all!

Simple arithmetic Darren. Add 50 and remove 1000; what are the best odds?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor.dowle wrote:
Simple arithmetic Darren. Add 50 and remove 1000; what are the best odds?

As those 50 are confirmed I'd rather have them, and if you save last month's mobile file you can have the 1000 unconfirmed too if you really wish!
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dennis

Going SE from Tetbury you enter the village of Long Newnton, There was a cop car with a copper out the car with a camera on a tripod facing back over the brow of the hill toward Tetbury. He stopped the transit and direct him to the end of the village where there was a small entrance on the left (under trees) with a couple of cop cars and a few folk being booked. All very orderly.

Whilst I was lucky it wasn't me - I looked up the position and submitted the details to PGPS as I wouldn't want to be the guy in the transit who's job will depend on his licence. Hopefully by submitting the mobile (tripod) it has helped other folks avoid the tyrrany of modern police work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: