Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SpeedPilot C510 Undocumented USB mode...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SpeedPilot C510 Undocumented USB mode...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: SpeedPilot C510 Undocumented USB mode... Reply with quote

I know I'm a newcomer, but I happened upon something that I've not seen documented anywhere else and it seemed worth mentioning:-

Normally, when you connect the SpeedPilot C510 to the PC via USB, it enters Mass Storage Mode, i.e. two new disk drives appear in the system, one for the unit itself and one for the SD card.

However, if you stick your thumb on the time in the top-right of the screen for 7 seconds, so that the Diagnostics screens are activated and then plug in the USB, the C510 gets detected as a "Garmin USB GPS" instead. Once detected, you can exit out of the diagnostics screen. You'll need the drivers from http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=591 (They seem to be bundled with the various Mapsource products as well)

In this mode, you can get Garmin's NRoute (and similar software) to talk to it. If nothing else, this lets you see the satellite reception data, that you assumed was going to be on the unit itself somewhere...and wasn't Smile

If you want to interface the C510 to Microsoft Autoroute, or something else that expects NMEA, you'll need a copy of Franson's gpsgate from http://www.franson.com/gpsgate/guide.asp?section=Garmin_USB_GPS_200&platform=winxp
hodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say this works for me...

If anything, it doesn't get recognised at all and the time on the unit resets to 1:00am, other than that, nothing i'm afrad.

That's with the aforementioned drivers installed at using MapSoure 6.11.6

Matt
hodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for using the wrong words here and there, it's still early for me...

I have noticed that plugging into USB whilst in diagnostic mode allows the unit to charge from USB, unlike usual when it runs from battery - useful if you need to charge outside of the car.
hodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for 3rd consecutive post...

Just updated to latest nRoute and I can confirm it works as described!

Sorry for doubting you!

Matt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: