Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do I want TTN v6?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I want TTN v6?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Do I want TTN v6? Reply with quote

I'm struggling to sort out the various options for upgrading my TTN 5 maps to the latest versions, and the possibility of upgrading the software as well. There are lots of related posts, but I can't find a simple overview so I'll ask anyway.

I have TTN 5 running on an HP5550, and own the full Maps of Western Europe set.
Tom Tom's website and TomTom Home both offer me the new single map of Europe for Euro 99.95 (about £60). I know that the 5550 is not officially a supported device for TTN 6, but understand that if I tell it I have a supported machine I can get TTN 6 as well as the map for the same price. My questions are:

1. Are there any real advantages to v6, or am I better staying with the approved (for my machine) v5. I'm basically happy with the functionality I currently have in v5.
2. Are there any disadvantages to putting TTN 6 on the (unsupported) 5550? I know people have it running successfully, but are there any drawbacks?
3. If I do want to force an update to v6, am I right in thinking that I have to do it via the TomTom website (and tell it I have some other, supported, machine), or can I do it via TomTom Home?

Obviously my easiest option is just to buy the maps (only) for my TTN v5, but if it's worth getting v6 at the same time, for 'free', then I might as well.

Sorry if these questions are obvious to seasoned readers.

Thanks,
Paul
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a decision to stick with TTN 5, and just get new maps, so no need to reply. Thanks anyway.
VEX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had done that!

Now stuck with TT6 on an iPaq that can not find its maps and not getting much help on here.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VEX wrote:
Wish I had done that!

Now stuck with TT6 on an iPaq that can not find its maps and not getting much help on here.
Why don't you restore your backup of TT5, if you're having problems with TT6?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
adlondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Upgraded to TT6 and hate it can i use maps with TT5 Reply with quote

I have the Dell Axim X30 and upgraded to TT6 from TT5 and found the programme slowed to a snail's pace - so much so i would miss exits on round abouts waiting for the map to catch up to my position. TT5 was much smoother and managed to keep pace with the car more readily with no jumps in position.

i have read comments from other posts suggesting that the move to TT6 has not been so frustrating for other X30 users...is this the general perception or am i right in thinking TT6 is nowhere near as smooth as TT5 for Dell X30 users.

Also does anyone know if i can use my TT6 maps with TT5 or do i have to pay again if i want the latest maps which i bought with TT6 to work with TT5 by buying the updated TT5 maps?

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: