Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fortuna clip on with TT3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fortuna clip on with TT3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arklite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Fortuna clip on with TT3 Reply with quote

Hi there
I brought my first GPS bundle 3 weeks ago. 1940 with ppc2003, fortuna BT clipon and TT3. All was setup fine untill i come to the clipon,
The instruction say to use a 38400 baud rate and a proper com-port.
This I did but I can see no satellites on the TT3.
So I read up again on the sales spiel on the clip on which clearly states that it has Sirf chipsets and is a "bluetooth" device.
filled with confusion I re check the manual which says use 38400 nmea???

so now I spend a second week scouring the web forums for some advice.
And what do I find. Yet more inconsistancy !
Some people say use NMEA 38400 ; some say sirf bluetooth others reccomend Tom Tom wireless, some say use port 8 other port 5, one even said try port 3.
and thats before i even get on to the suggestions on patches for TT3,bug fixes for Clipon, updates for PPC3003...........and so it goes on,what a minefield.

Does anybody have any real experience of the setup I have and a definitive combination of what is the correct Protocol and port settings
or should I just go buy an AA map of Great Britain?

deeply frustrated Guinness
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arklite,

I'm no expert but I would say that most of the posts you've been reading are actually correct. For instance I have a Ipaq 2210 and a clip-on with TT 3.

I usually run it on : NMEA 0183v2 38400 - Bluetooth Serial Port COM8
I have run it on: TomTom Navigator GPS - Bluetooth Serial Port COM8
I could, although I haven't tried, probably run it on SiRF 38400 and run it with a lower baud rate.

What the difference between these settings is beyond me, but the one thing you should check out is the Bluetooth COM port number. I understand that different Ipaqs have different COM port settings. I know a colleague running with your Ipaq model, I think he uses COM 5.

You're not very specific about the actual problem. Did you manage to pair the PPC and the clip-on e.g enter the pass key '0000' and make a connection? When you go to the GPS icon (Tom Tom driver) did you see the scrolling dots between the satellite dish and the pda icon - that tells you that Tom Tom is receiving data from your GPS.

Also be patient the first time you use the Clip-on. When you unpacked it, it thought it was still in Taiwan and takes time to realise now it is in the UK.

I know it's frustrating but once you get it working you be over-the-moon with it. Hang in there and tell us more about your problem Thumbs Up
arklite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TC

I had managed to pair the Clipon with the 1940, however There is no scrolling dots. Using BT manager on the PDA I can view a connect status screen which although it shows me its connected at " ideal signal strengh" I can see no data flow.
The Clipon its self I asume is getting a Sat fix as the associated LED is green.
Am I barking up the wrong tree by suspecting the protocol used between TT3 and the clipon then?

I tried last nite to download winfast navigator application to my PDA, this was after reading editors thread about using this to test GPS reciever
but wasnt able to get it from desktop zip file onto the pda via activesync.

???
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the following article and download WinFast Navigator and you will be able to see the data if it's working.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/winfastnavigatorppc.php

The correct settings are NMEA 38400, and you can either choose this in TTN3, or use another profile, but this would be recommended.

I wouldn't really look at using the BT GPS in SiRF mode, primarily because 100% of software support NMEA as a protocol and an extremely high percentage of applications do not natively support SiRF.
arklite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave
I tried this link lastnite but, the instructions thread is broken.
Which port would you recomend with the NMEA 38400? 8 or 5.
From what i have learnt 8 is for incoming and 5 for outgoing. Is this
correct?

A
arklite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK at last!

I have finally got the clipon and TT3 to talk. I had to set the protocol
to NMEA 3840 and I used COM 5. But this wouldnt work untill I had the Clipon up and reading Sat's and then i had to turn on BT and finally start the TT3.....................And low and behold its reading 7 sats.
I did try to use the Winfast Navigator but I tried all the combo's
of port and speed but none worked, but then again there is not an option for Com 5.
So I gets to thinking maybe I got sold an imported or Old PDA. The version is a 1.00 and then I look in the Asset viewer and under system the country ID is Asia pacific ?????

Ol' well its working,what the hell. Guess I'll go and try and get lost now. Taunt

many thanks to those that bothered to reply

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: