Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS / PDA Installation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS / PDA Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgt-spam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: GPS / PDA Installation Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions / advice here...

Got my install finished up Wednesday or so, and so far it's working great. My hardware consists of:

• 2004 RSX Type-S
  • HP iPAQ H5550
  • Emtac Trine BT GPS Receiver
  • External GPS Antenna
  • Arkon Powered PDA Mount
  • Radio Shack Accessory Outlet Splitter
  • Custom Fabricated Steel Plate
  • 3/4" 8-32 Machine Screws and Nuts
  • Automotive Loc-Tite
  • Mapopolis Navigator 4.42

The PDA mount you see in the pictures is from Arkon, but they don't have it listed on their web site. The first thing I did was have one of the guys here at work draw up the mounting point of the PDA mount on AutoCAD and burn it out of thin carbon steel. This piece of steel provides a firm backing for the mount to be mounted to.

The install was actually completed in two steps. Sunday I did all the wiring, and Wednesday when the steel was finished, I did the drilling and actual mounting.

I didn't use the suction cup because my PDA in the window distracted me. Since Mapopolis provides spoken instructions with street names, I feel this is much safer.

I chose to NOT splice the power supply from the mount into my cars' electrical system. Had I done that, I would not have been able to use the mount in my wife's car... Instead, I pulled the center console apart, traced the power wire for the rear accessory outlet, and tapped that. I connected both female receptacles from the Radio Shack splitter together and connected them to the tap. I used the common grounding point behind the radio for my negative / ground wire. As you can see from the pictures (link above), there's enough wire for the connectors to barely hang out of that hole, which means they tuck in nicely.

I then ran the wire for the antenna across the roof, down the driver side, and under the dash - basically following the wire I pulled for the V1. There was plenty of wire left, so I just coiled it up behind the console and left myself about four inches or so.

Wednesday, the console came back out. I pulled off the small panel to the side of the cup holders (three clips - use pliers to remove it) and used a speed square to make the holes even. Start drilling with a very small bit and work your way up. Check after each drill to make sure the holes line up with the mount base. The steel piece fit perfectly behind the plastic, and I tightened everything down. I did have to make a hole in the plastic behind where the mount mounts to - the screw was a little long in just that one spot.

Because the power cord needed to stay intact, I just ran the wire down the mount and pushed it up under the edge of the console. There was more than enough room, and you never see where it plugs in.

All said and done, I'm very happy with the way this works... I'm still able to open the glovebox with no problems, and the mount doesn't interrupt shifting (even in spirited driving). Only thing I've found so far is that if the PDA is in the mount, the power cable will hit the passenger seat if the seat is moved up. No biggie, as no one is ever in the back seat.

Just thought I'd share...
sgt-spam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I didn't hit stop fast enough. Sorry for the double-post. Mods feel free to remove one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: