Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has anybody actually used Wayfinder and can review?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anybody actually used Wayfinder and can review?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindenteal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Has anybody actually used Wayfinder and can review? Reply with quote

Dear all,

I have avidly read 'reviews' of the Wayfinder product but as yet, other than snippets from a few most of the text available on the internet appears to be the marketing prose form the compaany themselves.

Can anyone actually give real-life experiences of the product for example ease of set-up, in use, problems, issues, sighting in car - e.g. can the BT receiver be sighted anywhere other than on the dash, will heated windcreens affect signal and ways to overcome etc.

I have taken the plunge and ordered one (here in the UK to be used on the T-Mobile network (contract)) so will happily add my comments if people wish once it arrives. In the meantime I would love to hear from others

All the best Smile

Philip
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From posts others have made about Wayfinder, it seems that the most important thing is to ensure you have full Internet access over GPRS available to you. You can use 'dial up' Internet with Wayfinder, but that can get extremely expensive; as it's typically charged at your voice call rate for every minute you're connected.

I'm not sure what T-Mobile have actually released on this front. Of the four GSM networks, they seemed to be the most backward when it came to GPRS. For a long them, they had only one bundled deal, which was marketed primarily for picture messaging. The only other alternative was paying 2p per KByte, which made them by far the most expensive network.

Judging by this page they are offering GPRS bundles from 1 January 2004 - though I'd argue that their deal still isn't as good as my (now unavailable for new users) Vodafone GPRS Select add-on, which has no monthly charge and costs 235p per MByte, charges rounded to the nearest 0.1p per session. Most networks offer a deal at around this pricing now - though they may require you to have one of the more expensive voice price plans to get it.

Before you get your Wayfinder, probably the easiest way to check out your GPRS Internet access is either to set up the email client in your phone (not WAP or MMS; neither of those use GPRS Internet access). Failing that, you could make sure you can use your phone to connect an external device like your computer or a Pocket PC to the Internet over GPRS. If you've got GPRS Internet access working, you should be ready to use Wayfinder.

The uk.telecom.mobile newsgroup is a good place if you're having problems with GPRS. I'm fairly experience with GPRS - but on Vodafone contract rather than any other network.

I've no experience with Wayfinder; I don't have a suitable phone. It's still pretty new in the marketplace.

David
lindenteal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

David,

Thanks for your reply. I have set up the box of tricks and added my review in another post.

Kind regards

Philip
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wayfinder for Nokia 6600 review is now up on the site click here for the full article

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: