Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Add-on Map Support
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Add-on Map Support
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you may have noticed from my signature, I don't have an Etrex. I have used the GPS18 PC which is a serial device coupled through the Serial/ USB adapter and the USB dongle to provide a signal on Comm 4 and the Que software works great with it. I haven't tried it with my SPIII yet but it should work fine.

I assume, because you can use NMEA with other programs on Comm 1 that you have a serial adapter for your E800.If the Que software does not see the data, then you are not sending Garmin formatted data through the interface.

Confirm this by using Mapsource on a PC. It will tell you which format it is seeing. Or better yet with nRoute as it will only work with Garmin format.

On my GPS 18 and GPS 10, nRoute will automatically switch the GPS to Garmin format. Whether it will do that with a 60cs, I don't know.
Terry
Mapwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On my GPS 18 and GPS 10, nRoute will automatically switch the GPS to Garmin format. Whether it will do that with a 60cs, I don't know.
Terry

Yes, it's the same with the 60CS, it has both usb and RS232 ports. It is working fine with nRoute on my laptop. I really don't understand why the 60CS doesn't work together with Garmin Que. There is not much I can do wrong, besides I work with Garmins for years now.
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But does your laptop have a serial port or are you using the USB connection? These are seperately set on the 60cs and using one does not test the other.
Terry
Mapwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works now. :D
During my experiments I actually had no 2D/3D fix. I decided to leave the office and find out for once and for all what the problem is.
I found out that as long as the 60CS has no fix the Que software doesn't see it whereas I expected to get the usual message "Aquiring sattellites". As soon as the 60CS has a fix the Que application sees it and works but it is not able to show the sattellite signals, all 12 fields stay blank!
It seems the 60CS is sending nothing through its serial port in Garmin mode untill it has a fix !?

So now I know how to make use of my 60CS in case of emergency (the gps 10 is much nicer in combination with a PDA offcourse) I want to thank all of you for your help.
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you have it working. Yes the GPS10 is better because it eliminates the wiring jumble.

Interesting about the lack of signal with no lock. You should try to confirm that on a PC with a serial port. I can't say if the GPS18 behaved that way as it was already recieving satellites when I plugged it in. I got the 'acquiring satellites' message and lots of satellite bars including the D indication on each when a WAAS satellite was in range.
Terry
Mapwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The European version of WAAS (EGNOS) is still in test-phase so I always turn WAAS off as it sometimes locks up the gps and it saves some power.
Actualy I discovered that I can use the gps 10 much longer than 12 hours with WAAS turned off. I also use it when hiking now, put in the top of my backpack and it lasts for 16-18 hours!
cancak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Using Garmin Rino 120 with Que Software Reply with quote

- I set interface to Garmin
- I have a GPS fix
- Com 1 is working with PocketStreets in NMEA mode
- I modified E800 cradle to make a Com port

But Que fails to find Rino after a while. Any suggestions?
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancak,
The information you provide is confusing. Did Comm 1 work with Streets after you modified the cradle? Comm 1 is serial connection which is not normally available from the cradle. Does the Rino 120 have serial output or are you using a USB Host setup?
Terry
cancak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Terry,
Yes, Com1 does work with Streets. I connected three cables corresponding to TX,RX and Ground inside the cradle according to the pinout table in http://www.tosha-e800.narod.ru/. Rino 120 has only serial output in Garmin and NMEA formats.
Can
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you consider that the Garmin format may need confirmation that a connection is present. You might want to look at null modem strapping at the 9 pin end such as RTS to CTS (7-8) and DTR to CD (1-4).
Terry
cancak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: 9 pin straping Reply with quote

Using my multimeter, I tested each and every straping combination that might have been present in the 9 pin end; it does not exist. I have the original 9 pin end at my hand now. I could not see any straping by eye as well.
cancak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: It works! Reply with quote

Thanks Terry, following your remark on strapping, I started suspecting from the current three cables I have soldered according to the pinout table. It turns out that pin 24 is not a ground at all and Garmin protocol needs ground. In addition, diffently from the NMEA protocol, Garmin protocol as implemented in Rino, does not send any information unless there is a satellite fix. From now on, I can enjoy voice guidence from my car stereo in Turkey.
tcassidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you aced it. Enjoy!
Terry
mato
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tested Que with old eTrex. I have selected com port1 and garmin protocol on eTrex and it seems working fine, except it is not transmiting satelite signal. You don't see satelite status on pocketPC and it is showing 2d fix even when the unit is locked on 4 and more satelites.

I have one more question, if I want to unlock Coty Select for this eTrex as a second unit, what serial number should I use?
heatman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Garmin Quest Reply with quote

Being new to this group, excuse my ignorance, but I have a Garmin Quest, how would I load the programs for speed cams. Also which programs would these be.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: