Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman T1 traffic module
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman T1 traffic module
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Navman T1 traffic module Reply with quote

The Uk price of this unit seems to hover around £70 but Amazon UK say they sell it for £53.91 free of postage BUT it says "Navman T1 Traffic Module by Navman USA , Inc."

Anyone know if it would work in this country Question
darkvisor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what is says in there add on Amazon

"The T1 traffic module works on most major roads in the UK, France and Germany"

so it should, but if not, send it back and state that your add says it works in the UK, nothing to loose really
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And although it may or may not apply to the NAvman as well, the EU TomTom TMC units are different from the NA ones.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkvisor wrote:
this is what is says in their ad. on Amazon

"The T1 traffic module works on most major roads in the UK, France and Germany"
so it should, but if not, send it back and state that your ad. says it works in the UK, nothing to loose really

Yep, I have found that in the tech details of the unit. When you get to the shopping basket it says " Shopping Basket Items, Navman T1 Traffic Module- Navman USA , Inc. £53.91"
So, you are right, if it fails to work, then I should have no problem in returning it.
Thanks
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on with it - you've no doubt seen the different stories on here of people's bad and good experiences with it. Some people seem to just trail the antenna round the windscreen and it works like a charm but others have had to get external aerials and all sorts of gubbins. Be nice to see if it works out of the box for you?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I queried the purchase source of this with Navman and they firstly could not find the reference to this being sourced from Navman USA. Inc so I have sent them the link - I await a further response. But, in their reply they did say that the T1 does not work in the USA only in the UK and a few countries in Europe. Accordingly I will go ahead with the purchase but the wait is about six weeks Crying or Very sad

Watch this space Wink
Itzme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the US, and I got the ICN 530 for Christmas. I wonder if Navman plans to offer the T1 or some ofther traffic devise for the US. I wrote them, but no reply as of yet. Is the traffic module a proprietary add-on? I'm wonder if I can get a tracffic module made by some sort of 3rd party.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itzme wrote:
I'm in the US, and I got the ICN 530 for Christmas. I wonder if Navman plans to offer the T1 or some ofther traffic devise for the US. I wrote them, but no reply as of yet. Is the traffic module a proprietary add-on? I'm wonder if I can get a tracffic module made by some sort of 3rd party.

Here is a picture of it here
Yes, it is a dedicated add-on - if you look at the bottom of your 530 you should have a row of contacts where the T1 connects (maybe they are not there on the US model, it don't know. Anyway the web site, above, shows it in detail. I would not think that having one made to fit the 530 would be an economic or feasible undertaking. Do you get regular (I mean regular) traffic reports broadcast in the US - excuse my ignorance - which could be used to update the device. You would also need to link in with the software on the 530.
Navman do say they are working on extending the coverage of the T1 - at the moment it only works in the UK, Germany, France and (is the Netherlands?)
Itzme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Pee- Yes, my unit has the leads for the T1. As for getting regular traffic reports, well many AM and FM radio stations (maybe even most) broadcast traffic updates every 15 mins or so. They are spoken reports, often from a helicopter (here in Cincinnati). I'm curious how a device would process something like that into data for the ICN 530, so when you ask if we get "regular traffic reports broadcasts" I wonder what you get and how it differs from an announcer's update, which we get. The answer to that question may hint as to why the T1 isn't available in the US (or at least yet).
Itzme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, I'm learning now, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itzme wrote:
Ahhh, I'm learning now, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel
Yep, as you see on that site Tele Atlas transmit TMC signals and it is Tele Atlas that provide the mapping for the Navman, so from that point of view the signal is there... So, when will Navman provide the hardware for the US - I don't know Crying or Very sad
Bjorge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: T1 TMC Traffic Pack in Europe Reply with quote

The module (product number AA004089) says this on the back of the package:
Works for following countries on next models:
F20, N20, N40i and N60i::::
France, England, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Danmark
iCN 530, iCN 720 and iCN 750::::
Only in France, England and Germany

Info from http://miha.mihaflex.com/pc/index.php?prnr=AA004089&action=3

You can also use the Brodit holder #215191 that can carry the Navman holder for TMC.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: T1 TMC Traffic Pack in Europe Reply with quote

Bjorge wrote:
The module (product number AA004089) says this on the back of the package:
Works for following countries on next models:
F20, N20, N40i and N60i::::
France, England, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Danmark
iCN 530, iCN 720 and iCN 750::::
Only in France, England and Germany

Info from http://miha.mihaflex.com/pc/index.php?prnr=AA004089&action=3

You can also use the Brodit holder #215191 that can carry the Navman holder for TMC.

That's interesting 'cos the model I have ordered from Amazon is described as model AA005161 and in the tech jargon says The T1 traffic module works on most major roads in the UK, France and Germany. Other countries to follow in the near future
This T1 traffic module is only compatible with the iCN 530, iCN 720 and iCN 750, F20, N20, N40i, N60i. It is NOT compatible with the iCN 510, 520, 550, 570, 610, 620, 630, 635, or iCN 650

Just have to wait to see what I get Rolling Eyes
malcolmb1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Holland with a 530. I ordered a T1 for delivery to my parents in UK and picked it up at christmas - as they were on sale (but hard to get) here in Holland I thought it would be usable.

Traffic here is horrendous - Rotterdam ring can be at a standstill at 6.30am and alternate routes, when there is an incident, very limited due to rivers and "choke points" at bridges and tunnesl

Very disappointed to see on the compatibility list that it would only work in Holland with N and F series.

Found it worked intermittently in the UK with the standard antenna - when it worked it was great. On leaving the channel tunnel at Calais it picked up TMC signals almost immediately when the GPS took about 15 minutes to get a good lock - good job I knew where I was going!

Lost TMC in Belgium and has never worked here in Holland. Will be interesting to see if it picks up German broadcasts when I go over to Nijmegen on the border next week.

I think geographical compatibility is probably down to software. From what I see here I don't think we'll be seeing an update any time soon.

I'm considering - if I really want the TMC facility - whether I should by a Benelux F20 locally (they're down under equiv £150 at the moment some places over here) and use both units depending on where I am.
ray66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the T1 traffic module from Amazon had concerns as to whether it would work in England but I can assure you it works perfectly. Argos wanted £129 and Amazon £53. had a wait of 6 weeks but worth the wait

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: