Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - need a gps for walking, but very confused!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

need a gps for walking, but very confused!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dom_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: need a gps for walking, but very confused! Reply with quote

I hope you can help. I am after a gps unit to take on a 2 week trek through the lake district.
I have planned this out with memory map. So if the gps worked with memory map it would be a bonus.

I would like to store each days walk separately (so 14 routes in total).
The unit has to be fairly hardy as it might get damp / knocked about.

Budget is anything up to £150-200 i guess.

Thanks in advance.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you already have Memory Map software and the electronic maps the logical progression has to be a PDA combined with a GPS receiver, this could be integral to the device or CF/ Bluetooth - there are many options for this.
The largest problem is that of weather proofing the device, PDA's don't like the typical British walking weather, you can use a waterproof box which offers additional shock (read drop) protection these are made by Otter box and afford a decent degree of protection whilst remaining waterproof.
As for cost a cheap second hand PDA with bluetooth coupled with a Bluetooth GPS unit should just about leave you change from £200, although if you have a mobile phone on contract you could consider an upgrade to a PDA based phone such as the T-Mobile MDA C-III which is a PDA phone with integral GPS receiver and costs nothing (tariff dependent) then all you need is the Oter box 1900 to put it in for security.

The maps are the really costly part of this, as you already have them you may as well work towards a mobile solution that can make the most of what you have - Mike
dom_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply but i have a horrible feeling i would kill a PDA.
Would any gps units work well with the software?
rhayader_wanderer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option for protecting a PDA is one of the ortleib document cases. My first map version lasted about 10 years before getting too yellow to read the map through it an I only had one map loss in the time and that was a soaking on a refold issue.

I now use the smaller document case as protection when using the pda geocaching with memorymap

The other option is a pure walkers GPS, There are many options but I have used an Etrex Legend (original not colour) extensively in UK, France and Ireland for the past 5 years. (note pc cable used to be extra)

In theory this links with MM but I haven't tried yet preferring GPS Trackmaker (www.gpstm.com) (free for personal use) for management of interactions.

Partner it with some uniross 2500 batteries and you will get about 12-15 hours life without using the light.[/url]
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same apprehension as the original author about PDAs in the rough outside world!

I have taken mine out (Pocket Anquet on AXIM) but I also take a basic GPS unit (at present this is a GARMIN GPS60).

You should be able to upload your waypoints and routes from memory Map to any GARMIN GPS unit and use this to do the navigation.

Advantages to this approach rather than PDA...

1/ Battery life is far superior (GPS60 gives me 18+hrs on two AAs - and carrying another two in a backpack isn't a problem.) For a two week trek I wouldn't rely on getting to a place where you can re-charge your PDA and even two weeks worth of AA's isn't a major issue.

2/ You can print out specific maps from the PC s/w with your waypoints and routes overlayed. NEVER go out on any serious off-road adventure without a good paper map and a non-electronic compass. Ensure your basic map reading and direction finding skills are still working! You can't see enough of the map on a PDA to do serious map work, like getting off a mountain route in an emergency.

3/ Most handheld GPS units are quite rugged. The GPS60 is very rugged.

For the budget you are looking at you can get a decent basic handheld outdoor GPS unit. I got my GPS60 off ebay for less than your lower figure. However if you want to save your tracklogs there may not be enough storage in the GPS60 - only 10,000 trackpoints. [ This would allow you a tracklog every minute for 12hrs per day for 2 weeks] which is just about acceptable for walking in my books.

The only potential downside is that GARMIN are still using the less sensitive 12 channel receiver in their 'basic' models (which the GPS60 is). They only seem to put the more sensitive SIRF III h/w into their expensive mapping devices .

Having said that I have had a GARMIN GPSII+ for 10+ years and it never lost lock in UK and the GPS60 appears to be more sensitive and I haven't had any problems yet.

But most of all enjoy your walk(s) Smile
dom_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies, it has given me plenty to think about and look into.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: