Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Making me exit the highway, then asks me to get back on asap
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Making me exit the highway, then asks me to get back on asap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Making me exit the highway, then asks me to get back on asap Reply with quote

Are you getting this behavior at all? Once or twice every trip involving the highway, my PDA tells me to follow the next off-ramp off the highway, then immediately afterwards tells me to quickly get back on the same highway. It's doing this consistently now. If I choose to simply ignore these instructions, it wipes away the blue line it intends me to follow, and simply continues the original route along the main road we were going.

Totally odd.

Is it something to do with the options you're supposed to select (quickest/shortest route)? Is it trying to get me off the main road so we can follow a short-cut?

Or is it just a bug?

I'd love to hear from other users on this.

Raff
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a routing bug that is present not just in Navigon software. Destinator and even TomTom are at times exhibiting this behaviour. The on-ramps and off-ramps of highways have slightly different weight than the highway itself, and the routing algorithm is a very fragile equilibrium of weights and speeds. Sometimes bad map data comes into play, in other instances the user changing speed settings (like with TomTom) is causing this to flip over.

You should report your exact route and the location where that happened to Navigon - those are excellent examples for them to fine (or rather the opposite?) tune their algorithms.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the equilibrium argument, it is indeed a fine line the programmers need to walk. I also feel that GPS mouse position, proximity of a mobile phone, as well as surrounding terrain and of course the wheather may each play a role in the equation.

I now have a better sense of the whys and wherefores of this behaviour, and I won't be squandering any time tweaking my settings in order to get rid of a non-existing bug. I am a little surprised that this issue hasn't come up in the various Navigon-related forums I've visited lately.

Thank either way Lutz.

Raff
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have not had this one come up on my unit using the Navgion maps, I only use the Navigon maps in the UK,

When in the US I use TomTom and have had this happen a couple of times,

What country map are you finding this error on?.

Regards

Victoria
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,

I'm in Holland (using the Benelux mapping).

BTW, the one little detail I haven't mentioned is the fact that upon approaching one such off-ramps, the Medion displays not one but 2 blue route lines, the original one along the road ahead and the bug-induced one requesting me to exit the highway. The second one disappears, as I pass the exit.

Meanwhile I have used the Medion in two different cars (same GPS) and it's exhibited this behavior in both, in fact multiple times during each trip. Well, at least it's blatant enough that you can ignore it. Let's just hope it won't send us on a wild goose-chase in an urban area.

Raff
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Off ramp detours Reply with quote

I've had this error, on the Bedford Southern Bypass (A421 from memory). Hooning along, it tells me to leave, go round the roundabout and re-join. I didn't obviously...

If anyone gives a monkeys, I'll take a look and confirm the exact location.

I've also had it send me on a major (8 mile) detour which would have brought me back onto the road I was travelling on originally 2 miles further down...(A45, Northamptonshire, Billing turn off).

Still, It's jolly good software really!
Dick_Spanner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a similar experience near Rotherham in the UK where it brought me off the M1 motorway at junction 33, took me along the A631 which then crossed the M1 at junction 34 where I clearly should have exited.
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been confirmed as a bug, plain and simple. So long as we ignore it, we'll be fine, no worries.

I just find it a little strange that apparently so few users are getting getting....

Raffles
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported this one back in November. Mine is consistently taking me off the M1 @ J16 and then back on again. Haven't had it anywhere else, but always at that junction on the M1.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: