Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Registering Pubs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Registering Pubs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhayader_wanderer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Registering Pubs Reply with quote

While there seem to be a few chains in place there nothing generic for adding in "local"/independent pubs in a consistent way

There is the entry "dining pubs" and a couple of regional categories (Pubs east anglia)

But before I suggest the start up of a Pubs Wales to input all my local wet and/or food pubs would an admin like to make a suggestion of how to deal with these in an appropriate way

Pete
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and submit as "Other POIs/Other POI", we'll sort the category name out later.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
timae1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am looking to input pubs, but for the south/SE. Everyone I know naviagtes by country pubs (turn right at The Three Horseshoes, then left at the Dog and Duck etc etc) but does anyone know where on earth I can find a country PUB POI download site? I have a Navman F20.. I'm not looking for wetherspoons etc or town pubs

Many thanks and happy New Year
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering Pubs Reply with quote

rhayader_wanderer wrote:
While there seem to be a few chains in place there nothing generic for adding in "local"/independent pubs in a consistent way

There is the entry "dining pubs" and a couple of regional categories (Pubs east anglia)

But before I suggest the start up of a Pubs Wales to input all my local wet and/or food pubs would an admin like to make a suggestion of how to deal with these in an appropriate way

Pete

I have created a subcategory Pubs and some time I will reclassify the East Anglian ones etc. The subcategory Dining Pubs is for those pubs that are mentioned on the Dining Pubs website. I realise that this is a bit messy but Rolling Eyes

Richard
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A problem is that one person's good pub is considered a dive by somebody else. If there's a section simply called pubs, it could end up being a collection of every pub in the country. Every village would contain at least one POI, and most towns would just become a mass of icons on the map!

There needs to be some kind of selection criteria. Has anybody considered contacting the Good Pub Guide (or similar publication) to see if a list of their pubs can be obtained and converted to POI format?
rhayader_wanderer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced of the need for a selection. I take your point over city centre issues but this is largely dealt with in the database by the subdivision of brands.

What is missing is the small non chain pub set and yes there is likely to be one for most villages and no it wont be subjective site like beerintheevening cover that issue.

What a pub set here will enable is navigation to specific sites and show people planning routes where they might be able to stop for a lunchtime/evening meal en route.

Pete[/quote]
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
A problem is that one person's good pub is considered a dive by somebody else. If there's a section simply called pubs, it could end up being a collection of every pub in the country. Every village would contain at least one POI, and most towns would just become a mass of icons on the map!

There needs to be some kind of selection criteria. Has anybody considered contacting the Good Pub Guide (or similar publication) to see if a list of their pubs can be obtained and converted to POI format?

I agree Smile the quality of a pub must be subjective and that was one reason why I loaded the Dining Pub subcategory. However the Dining Pub set is really a subcategory of Pubs and when visiting a Pub it is not always obvious that it is in the Dining Pubs list. To maintain the Dining Pub list requires a bit more effort on the submitter's part by cross-checking with www.diningpubs.co.uk . Obviously, the same problem will arise if we introduce a Good Pub Guide POI although cross-checking is easier as there is a printed guide. Please don't expect me to do the cross-checking for you.

I think that it will be better to transfer the subcategories Pub East Anglia, Pub Newcastle upon Tyne and Pub York City into the general Pub subcategory. What do you think Question

Richard
sssock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am very pleased to see the addition of the pub catagory, ive put in all my local pubs. i dont see the need for sub-catagorys relating to town/ village East anglia etc either. if the same place pops up as both a pub and a dining pub well better that than not at all. loving the site its great! sure we'll soon have the best set of POIs around. I wonder what happens if u delete the rubbish ones that come with ur tomtom... hmmmm.
emdeeme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Good Pub Guide (2007) has postcode info for all pubs in the main guide and 'lucky dip'. Using this info its fairly quick to add new POIs, but I guess the postcode data isn't pinpoint accurate and there are no doubt a few typos in the book. I've already input Surrey and plan to do Sussex next. Has anyone else tried this, and if so what's your success rate to date?

emdeeme
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I ask that "Good Pub Guide" Pubs are given their own sub-category and not just lumped together with "all" pubs, please?
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Could I ask that "Good Pub Guide" Pubs are given their own sub-category and not just lumped together with "all" pubs, please?

I wholeheartedly agree that pubs mentioned in the Good Pub Guide should be kept separate from the general subcategory "Pubs" but will people check that the pub is in the guide before submitting it.

We already have a "Dining Pub" subcategory which gives me the same problem as the "Good Pub Guide" subcategory will. I am sure that people do not check the Dining Pub website so will they check the Guide.

Richard
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, 'emdeeme' will get his/her project done quick enough to get the CAMRA pubs in first as a complete category. Smile
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdeeme wrote:
The latest Good Pub Guide (2007) has postcode info for all pubs in the main guide and 'lucky dip'. Using this info its fairly quick to add new POIs, but I guess the postcode data isn't pinpoint accurate and there are no doubt a few typos in the book. I've already input Surrey and plan to do Sussex next. Has anyone else tried this, and if so what's your success rate to date?

emdeeme

I would hold fire for the moment as I have already created a POI file from the 2006 Guide for the whole of the South of England. This I created for my own use as I have always wondered if the publisher of the Good Pub Guide will agree to such information being made available on the internet. My file contains only entries in the main sections of the guide and gives just the pub name, town and a code showing the guide ranking, eg -5.17484,50.11076,"Trengilly Wartha (*FWBA), Constantine"

This information is sufficient to get you there and of course you will have a copy of the guide to find out more.

I have today emailed the publisher to ask if they have any objection to our use of their data in this way and also to see if they are able/willing to provide a file that can be used to create the POI file. In the 2006 guide you will see that an Ordnance Survey Grid Reference is given for the main entries; this can be used instead of the Postcode.

Richard
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a reply from the Good Pub Guide and for copyright reasons we are not allowed to create a Good Pub Guide subcategory based on information taken from the published guide.

Sorry,
Richard
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about that "houses-nextdoor-to-pubs-in-the-Good-Pub-Guide" POI category that so many people have asked for then?
Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: