Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RAC Sat Nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RAC Sat Nav
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesouthtoonarmy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: RAC Sat Nav Reply with quote

I have recently purchased an RAC badged Sat nav, looking through this site I noticed that the speed camera database can be installed on Route66 navigate 7 which is what this unit runs. Would the installation be the same?? if any one knows please let me know
thesouthtoonarmy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D I have now successfulyloaded the speed camera data base onto my RAC sat nav and all works well. Saved me 3 points today!!!

To do this you need to remove the SD card from the device, and connect to your computer with a card reader. Copy all files from the SD card and save under "my documents".then add the pocket gps databadse into the poi greatbritain folder. All this now needs copying onto a seperate sd card and place back into the Nav unit. The RAC card does not take all the info across hense the use of another SD card.

To down load the data base just follow the instructions for the Route 66 pocket PC version (thanks to mike alder)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for being a willing guinea pig!

Have now added the RAC unit to the compatibility list. Could you give me the 'model number' or 'name' of the unit?

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installation details can be found HERE - many thanks for confirming this works - Mike
thesouthtoonarmy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAC Sat Nav 110
nato07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: camera location downloads Reply with quote

Hi man, I tried doing what you mentioned, copying all the staff onto my PC, downloading the camera updates , i copied them in the POI folder and put them on a 2G SD card, but the sat nav wont recognise the new SD card. Any ideas on why or what i sould do next ? thanks
thesouthtoonarmy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure that you have unzipped the files for the speed cameras as otherwise the sat nav wont reconise the card because there are files it cannot read, have just downloaded the POI's (McDonalds ect) and all still working well so suggest you check the files, delete all info from the SD card and try again, if no luck let me know exactly what the sat nav says and I will try to help Idea
stevest220
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Interesting reading, I too have a problem with this unit. Reply with quote

I inadvertantly deleted some of the POI catagories, instead of removing the POI's. As a result of this the deleted POI's appear to have been deleted from the memory card. The CD that came with the satnav only has the usermanual loaded onto it, not even the map of the UK, how do the suppliers expect us to reload the maps?

Anyway, do any of you know how I can reload POI catagories, and all POI's, back onto the satnav memory card? My PC does not have a card reader, but I should be able to gain access to one as a last resort.

Why is a USB cable supplied with the satnav? doesn't appear to be any use for it.

Once I have found an answer to this problem I will be trying the updates as listed above.

Tks for any info, Steve
thesouthtoonarmy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try this link, not sure as never used but will probally update all POI's and catagories??

http://www.66.com/route66/support.php?cid=UK&sec=1&ssec=2
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USB cable is used to connect the sat nav to your PC, the PC will then see the sat nav as an external drive, and you can move/delete/add files as you wish. A card reader does the same thing, but is a lot quicker. I copied my SD card, onto my PC using a USB cable.
nato07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: camera update on RAC satnav110 Reply with quote

oh thanks man, i managed to transfer the camera updates onto the original Satnav110 SD card and it worked, its alerting me of all the other camera locations that weren't there, but three times a message came on saying "it had performed an illegal operation and will shut down" . It just froze like that and i had to start the navigation again.Do you know why it was Question doing this ? Maybe its because i had not unzipped the files, I've just done that now and I'll see how it works
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be related to the read / write speed of the 2GB card, I notice you say that you copied all the files on to a 2GB card, was this the card supplied with the device or an after market purchase?
Not all card offer the same performance and some sat nav devices can be quite "picky" as to the type of card, although with your new unit there is little known about this issue (if it is infact card speed related) - Mike
stevest220
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Tks for the info Reply with quote

I'll try the link and post my progress at a later date.

Steve
nato07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: rac satnav110 Reply with quote

when i realised that the SatNav was not recognising the 2G SD, i used the original one that came with the item. I opened the POI folder and attached the camera locations that i downloaded. I haven't tried it lately since I added the unzipped the camera location updates. I didn't realise that when you download them, they are saves as zipped compressed files Idea
nato07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting reading, I too have a problem with this unit Reply with quote

I've got my original POI from the RAC satnav,if you fail to find them elsewhere, I could e-mail just the POI folder to you. Let me know! Exclamation

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: