Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: New version RDS-TMC receiver Reply with quote

Well, Quarter 2 of 2007 has duly expired and I've heard nothingm from Tom Tom about the upgrade promised by the end of Q2. Has anyone else? Sad
Wildoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard nothing - have asked Tom Tom when it is due but no response so far.

W
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave up in the end!

Sold my 910 and TMC and moved on!

Currently running a Glofiish X500 PDA (Quadband Phone, Built in Sirf III GPS, Built in Bluetooth and 802.11g Wifi).

Also has a built in FM Radio with TMC function, (although the TMC is not currently compatible with TomTom of course Rolling Eyes )

Means less to carry around, 1 unit for SatNav, Phone, MP3, and PDA Wifi access.

All for a lot less than a 910

(£245 to be exact).

So its not that I have gone quiet on the TMC front, just that I have moved on for now!!!
iTekweni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New version RDS-TMC receiver Reply with quote

beaconlegal wrote:
Well, Quarter 2 of 2007 has duly expired and I've heard nothingm from Tom Tom about the upgrade promised by the end of Q2. Has anyone else? Sad

I am just being ignored by tomtom my questions is under status "updated"
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another thread on this same topic, the end of it can be found Here - if you persist with complaints it appears TomTom might give out a GPRS subscription - one reported case exists so far where this is the case - Mike
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: RDS-TMC update Reply with quote

I too am being ignored. Hard to believe that in this day and age a company can have such a cavelier attitude to its customers. If they were british, I'd just about expect it but I really had a much better opinion of the Dutch - until now.

I'm determined not to let them get away with it though and I shall continue to make their lives miserable until they do something. ....
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Moving to new thread Reply with quote

I will continue future posts on the thread referred to by Mike above.
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Rang TomTom Customer Support Reply with quote

Called them as a customer rather than using the Retail Support line. Basically asked them when they were releasing a working model. Got the usual excuses and no date set, but still being worked on. They insisted sending me by email the usual email about how to get the thing to work!!!

And yesterday bought http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/Aerials+&+Satellite/Aerials+&+Antennas/HIRSCHMANN/HIT+AUTA+60EL/displayProduct.jsp?sku=AP01161 from work and applied the mod today.
Cut off aerial connector off AP01161 and soldered centre core to pad further from the 4 wires and the shield to the pad closer to the wires. Then I soldered some small twin core to the braid of the aerial and the positive feed and soldered this into the plug end of a Y splitter 2 cigar sockets.

At first nothing, but I find that the unit has to be really pushed home to make contact. It is working now and got signal straight away. I always did outside home in Bolton, but I can see Winter Hill. Will report back when I travel some tomorrow as I know roughly where signal usually disappears on way to work. Fingers crossed.

I have put the aerial on the pads the correct way round? I hope so, but can easily put other way round if need be.
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear some sort of test transmissions are being being sent out via 100,4 which uses WinterHill, BUT as yet they contain no data, only the carrier and ident that allows the device to lock to the channel. I am confident when this is fully switched on the North West area as a whole will see a major increase in iTIS RDS-TMC coverage.

When I am around Bolton on the M61 with an unmodified RDS-TMC the device will pick up data usually on 101.1 which is Classic FM from the Holme Moss transmitter, any further North than Bolton and I get nothing unless I connect an external aerial - I use an amplified Hirschmann unit to supply the signal to my RDS device, not the same one you have but I would expect to see a significant increase in reception with the aerial you have fitted.

One other trick you might want to try is to pass the aerial lead that goes from the external Hirschmann to the RDS device through a large ferrite ring, I have found a huge difference in reception since doing this - its early days with this additional modification but the Maplins part code I am using is N90AB - two or three tuns through the ferrite is all that is needed - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: