Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - And I thought I was doing it properly !!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

And I thought I was doing it properly !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: And I thought I was doing it properly !! Reply with quote

I thought I was doing the right thing with my iPAQ 3870 by backing up the files with Active-Sync before replacing the battery. Now when I try to restore it wont recognise my PPC and its driving me nuts. I've got all my TomTom POI's and things like that - that I just cannot live without.

I feel like I have tried everything including some patch from the HP website but Active-Sync wants to rename me something other than Pocket_PC or log me in as a guest and then wont allow me to restore my backup because it was 'created from a different type of mobile device...'

I have run out of eyesight doing searches on the forum - can anyone tell me how to get back to normal - Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Many thanks

Graham
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately ActiveSync backup/restore facility has been well known for this over the past few years, and whenever I have tried it, it has produced very unreliable results.

Try settingn your Pocket PC name and Owner Name to be exactly how it looked prior to the backup and see if that helps.

Personally I use Pocket Backup from http://www.spritesoftware.com and it's something that HP bundle now with the iPAQ's. It works well and has a PC agent and allows you to backup the entire Pocket PC to storage card or to your PC and to schedule it.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from what Dave suggests, it's also important that the timezone settings (both home and visiting) are the same as they were when you made the backup you're trying to restore - otherwise ActiveSync throws up the dreaded 'different machine' message.

Wanting to rename the machine - the answer there is to use File -> Delete Partnership in ActiveSync first (if you have partnerships with multiple devices, use File -> Mobile Device to choose the right one before deleting). This should delete the now useless partnership (even if you restore the backup you need to create a new one), but leave the backup file.

Most of all, though, I'd endorse Dave's recommendation to use the Sprite Software product, which has now been renamed Sprite Backup. It's got me out of a hole on several occasions.

David
g8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - yep changes to the regional settings got it working again.

Don't think I will risk it on Active Sync again - off to get the Sprite programme right now !!!!

Cheers guys,

Thumbs Up Graham

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: