Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FREE Points of Interest to Download for Your SatNav!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FREE Points of Interest to Download for Your SatNav!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdclark wrote:
I have now downloaded Firefox and have no problems with downloading. However it is not my preferred option but it works as a stop gap
I don't like FireFox in comparison to my chosen browser, but there is nothing stopping you using FF for the downloads and your usual browser for the main site, as you say its a stop gap -
BUT IT WORKS.
In fact that is what I have been doing, simply set the mozilla home page to the POI download page and leave the normal IE application alone - if you want to download POI use Mozilla, otherwise work as normal - Mike
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH NEW POIs & GARMIN i3

I have just downloaded a set of new set of POIs and is has crashed my i3.

POI loader seemed to work fine but when trying to add a few more, the loader now can't find the unit.

Despite doing a full reset I cannot now get beyond the opening "Where To" or View Map" screen. It will not switch off unless the batteries are taken out and nothing works. Any help appreciated .....
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Correction .... Reply with quote

I can switch off without taking out the batteries but it is a VERY slow process. Any help to you experts out there?
smspeedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same fault,crashed the I3 and nothing would work after installing the new POI,s.To fix it,i made a new POI file of just one POI ie no cameras or anything.I then connected the USB and the Garmin gstart installed the one file,overwriting all the old ones.I then deleted all the new POI's i had installed from the file on my PC and reloaded the ones i used to have on there(MaFt's set.)All back to normal now :D

Steve
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Have tried somehting similar but still no luck .... Reply with quote

smspeedy wrote:
I had the same fault,crashed the I3 and nothing would work after installing the new POI,s.To fix it,i made a new POI file of just one POI ie no cameras or anything.I then connected the USB and the Garmin gstart installed the one file,overwriting all the old ones.I then deleted all the new POI's i had installed from the file on my PC and reloaded the ones i used to have on there(MaFt's set.)All back to normal now :D

Steve

Hi Steve

I have been trying something smilar. Have now managed the persuade POI Loader to find the i3. However it reports a "communications error" so it won't send eben the simplest POI file to the i3. Any ideas?

Surely PGPSW should pull these POIs until this issue is resolved, otherwise there are going to be a lot of very unhappy people out there when they open their new sat navs and try to "improve" them tomorrow.

TIA

Colin. 8O
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With only two reported issues it's a little early to lay the blame at our POIs! However, it's Christmas Eve so you will understand that investigation will take a while but we will look into this.
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
With only two reported issues it's a little early to lay the blame at our POIs! However, it's Christmas Eve so you will understand that investigation will take a while but we will look into this.

Thanks for the response Darren. There is certainly a problem. I've finally managed to sort my i3 using the fix suggested elsewhere. It has taken all day and was found "more by luck than judgement" - please take these down for a couple of days to save all those enthusiastic new GPS owners the trouble a few of us have had (3 now - all Garmin owners).

Merry Xmas, by the way!
gdclark
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Garmin user - I have the nuvi 660.

Touch wood, I have had no difficulties, however my unit does have quite a bit of free memory so this may not reflect the problems that the other Garmin users have had.

However I notice that the cameras and the other have the same format so the files themselves shouldn't be a problem.

I do have one question though:

Why are telephones shown twice? Once in the +44 format and the other as ordinary numbers. This only increases the size of the files and is very annoying
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to shout blue. It's xmas after all. which field do you want the phone number to be in, title or details/comments?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gdclark
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - did'nt mean to shout - just wanted it to stand out from rest of post Embarassed

Title would be good

One other thing my Garmin will only accept 3 columns, yet the garmin files are always four. I have to load each file into Excel and merge the last two columns together using an old add in I have.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I am not complaining - just asking if there is a solution

TIA

:D
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramases wrote:
SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH NEW POIs & GARMIN i3

I have just downloaded a set of new set of POIs and is has crashed my i3.

POI loader seemed to work fine but when trying to add a few more, the loader now can't find the unit.

Despite doing a full reset I cannot now get beyond the opening "Where To" or View Map" screen. It will not switch off unless the batteries are taken out and nothing works. Any help appreciated .....

What version of POILoader are you using. I have tried it on my i3 and not had any problems. I loaded about 10,000 pois in as well as the Speed cams so getting on for 20,000 pois.

Maybe it is a particular dataset that is causing the problem. What POIs are you trying to load up?

I must admit that my POILoader may not be the latest version. I havent had any problems with it in the past so I havent always kept it up to date.
racman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all downloaded poi's and my i3 is dead.What should i do now
racman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not happy tried reset not having any of it.Usb connection not recognised Crying or Very sad Sad :x
leehenty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had the same problem with my Nuvi 310D. Am using the latest Nuvi software and POI loader. After loading the New POI's along with the speed camera database, disconnect the Nuvi from my machine and then the Nuvi will not boot past the loading maps screen.

Using reset and also going back to factory settings still will not allow the Nuvi to boot past this part of the screen. The only way to keep it on that part of the screen is to put the USB cable in otherwise it turns itself off.

PC will not find the Nuvi at all and hence I cannot add a reduced set to the machine so that I can get to clearing them off.
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz, Richard and the rest of the pocketgpsworld team and Merry Christmas.

Using Windows XP IE6 SP2, having earlier had problems accessing the POI file, I this morning clicked the Show Link button on step 5 of the download and this worked a treat when selecting either a single file or several files and using the Separate files per subcategory option.

I will provide you updates as I find things now on my travels.

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: