Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go500 No Maps Found?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go500 No Maps Found?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiderman999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go500 No Maps Found? Reply with quote

Dear All,

I switched on my TomTom Go500 with the TomTom SD card inserted, a message about legal notice flashed up, I read and pressed agree, it then shows No maps found. I have had this sysytem for about a year, I have tried the reset button, but nothing happens? I have reinserted the SD card, I have also downloaded TomTom Home user, non of which has rectified the problem. Please can you assist?

Thanks Question
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as all the correct files are there...

First try a deep reset. Connect GO to the mains charger. Press and hold the reset for at least 10 seconds.

If that doesn't work...

Copy the whole card to a backup on your PC, then copy it back again. TomTom suggested this as a way to restore a "lost link".
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
spiderman999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the reset button, but that did not help. I have no card reader to copy SD card details and even if I did I would not know how to do it.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a card reader. The Go will read the card.

Plug GO into your PC with the USB.
Go to "My Computer"
Find and open the "Removable Drive"
This is the GO card.
Select all the files and copy them (drag and drop) to a new backup folder on your PC. You may need to make sure that the hidden files are selected.

Once they are all copied - CHECK that you have ALL the files copied!! It can take a while - up to 5 mins with USB2 - up to half an hour on USB1.

Select and drag the card files to the Recycle Bin
Empty Recycle bin
Copy the files from the New Folder on your desktop back to the empty card window.

Otherwise, try a new system download and install. These are free. A new map will be chargeable!!
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
spiderman999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice, clicked on my computer but could not see any reference to "Removable Drive" I'm running windows XP pro if that makes any difference? Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows XP should recognise the TomTom as a new drive as soon as it is plugged into the USB port. You usually get a little balloon message in the bottom right corner of the PC (system tray) saying something like "New hardware found" (there is a "bong" sound from the PC too).
Try it first with the PC 'on', and and the TomTom 'on' when you plug it in.

If you don't get that, try all combinations of having the TomTom on and off and the PC on and off when you connect.

If it still doesn't connect, have a look in Settings / Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager / Universal serial bus controllers, to see if there is a problem there.

If it DOES connect, then go to Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and look on the left hand side where all the drives, CD-Rs etc are listed, and you should see the Go there.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the Go should re-start with a new screen showing the back of the unit with the cable being plugged in.

Once you've got this working DO NOT ever unplug the Go without clicking on the "Safely remove Hardware" icon which shoulsd have appeared in the system tray of the PC. This makes sure that the system has finished writing to the TomTom before you didconnect.
spiderman999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that......but too late. The screen is showing the SD card being removed with red cross through it?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means that you have some system files missing or corrupted.

Probably best to download and re-install the system.

Do you have enough room to do the upgrade on your original card? You may need to make room by deleting some unneeded files, like foreign voices.

From your PC, delete the ones you don't need. They are in pairs. One file is a .vif file and the other is a NUMBERED data.chk file eg data45.chk

If you just want keep the UK English voices (Jane & Tim). Keep engm.vif and engf.vif along with the matching data04.chk and data05.chk.

If you open the .vif file in a text editor it will tell you which the matching file is.

DO NOT DELETE THE UNNUMBERED FILE called just data.chk
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: