Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing new Maps to 920t with 8gb SDHC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing new Maps to 920t with 8gb SDHC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spengler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Installing new Maps to 920t with 8gb SDHC Reply with quote

Hi guys, new to the forums, so go easy eh Smile

Just got my 920t, updated using TT Home to latest app version (8.3)

Was about to install the latest EU map using LMG but realise I have to install it to the SDHC as their isn't enough room on the internal memory.

So question is really, what is the correct process to go through. Do I simply install the new map to the SD card and that's it or do I need to install anything else along with it?

Thanks in advance.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that there is not enough room on the internal memory, remember the old maps are removed when the new are installed?

If the new map is larger than the one it replaces and does require installing to a card, it can be installed there without anything else.

Back up everything first, that way if you make a mistake you can recover from it.

If you want to think about where you put maps when you run out of space, consider how often you are going to use some of the maps and put the least used on the card.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFTER doing a backup using Windows Explorer, still using Explorer, simply copy the US maps onto your SDHC card - copy the North America and Guam folders to it, then delete them from the 920T and then update your map with LMG and you'll have loads of room for the update. But as MrT says, usually the new map removes the old one and you don't get the space problem.

Unless you pop to Guam or North America regularly, you won't need to keep the SDHC card in the 920 (although, it's a pretty convenient place to store it so it doesn't get lost AND you could use it to carry and play all your music - MP3s - and all your boring holiday photos!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Spengler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it fails before the end of the installation with a message regarding lack of space, so that's what I assumed. There is only 150mb left, so i'm guessing the map is bigger than the original.

Its unlikely i'll be travelling to the US anytime soon so I can drop that map I guess.

Is it obvious which folders I need to delete then?
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did is make a map folder on my computer and I just store the maps I am not using there. I wouldn't suggest dropping the map all togather just move it for safe keeping If you ever need it down the road you will still have it.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map folders are clearly labelled and will be (or very similar to) the map names of North_America and Western_and_Central_Europe.

I am surprised that your internal memory is that full as with the latest maps for NA & Europe, that takes about 3.6GB and I thought the internal memory was 4GB?
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The map folders are clearly labelled and will be (or very similar to) the map names of North_America and Western_and_Central_Europe.

I am surprised that your internal memory is that full as with the latest maps for NA & Europe, that takes about 3.6GB and I thought the internal memory was 4GB?

There seems to be about 3.8 GB of usable space when you format the internal memory.
Spengler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all I installed last night was the update to 8.3, quick GPS, the phone connection update and then a few voice packs, not sure how many maybe 4 or 5.

Then I tried the European map update and got that error message.

Anyway I think I'll move the NA map off and keep it safe then run the update and see how it goes.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another thought and I have seen different views on this. On my 940 my North American Maps were also updated under LMG. You may also get this option on the 920 so you may want to update these maps as well before you put them away for the future on your PC.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the most important bit before you do anything else, if you haven't done it already. A full backup using Explorer not HOME.

and Merry Xmas and Welcome to the Forum Cheers!
Hughesynights
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spengler wrote:
Well it fails before the end of the installation with a message regarding lack of space, so that's what I assumed. There is only 150mb left, so i'm guessing the map is bigger than the original.

This happened to me when updating the EU and US maps.

If you delete the foreign language computer voices (TTS), there is plenty of room for the map updates. Use home, to remove so they are saved on your computer for easy reinstallation if you ever need them.

I've got 250 Mb free with both maps updated.

It's easy enough to move the maps to the memory card, but you don't have to.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that the reason some of you get both the NA and WE maps to fit on a x20 or x30 is that the Voice Recognition files for NA (cspeechxx.dat) files are NOT included in your NA map.

If you get the larger NA map with the speech files as well as the WE map with the speech files, then there may be a problem........
Spengler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well following some advice here I backed everything up then removed the Guam and NA maps off the device. Update for Euro map worked a treat.

Tried NA update after and it failed, again lack of space. I'm just going to update it to the SD card then back it up to HDD for safe keeping.

Next step is to get some MP3's saved on there Smile
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
You may find that the reason some of you get both the NA and WE maps to fit on a x20 or x30 is that the Voice Recognition files for NA (cspeechxx.dat) files are NOT included in your NA map.

If you get the larger NA map with the speech files as well as the WE map with the speech files, then there may be a problem........

Interesting point that, if I ever needed to visit NA, how would I get these speech recognition files? I checked the backup from out of the box and the UK and Ireland files were in the Western Europe Directory but none in the NA.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These files were available for download directly from the TomTom server, I am sure there is a direct link posted on the forum from around three months ago
This was the post I was thinking of although its more than three months old and the links don't seem to work, I am sure there are other links to the newer ASR/ VR files on the forum though.

The same thread also continued on to discuss available memory on the device with and without the files installed, different device but with the same issue - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: