Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stolen Satnavs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stolen Satnavs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shady1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Stolen Satnavs Reply with quote

Might just be me but with todays technology would u not think it would be possible for the makers to install a tracker chip or is that way ahead of them :/
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cost to much, and if it was possible , you would have to pay to register it..
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen Satnavs Reply with quote

shady1 wrote:
Might just be me but with todays technology would u not think it would be possible for the makers to install a tracker chip or is that way ahead of them :/

Of course its possible, havent you heard of vehicle tracking systems. Whats your point?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen Satnavs Reply with quote

shady1 wrote:

It's entirely possible but would require a GSM Phone Module to transmit the location and a valid SIM and account. The cost would be prohibitive. It's difficult enough to sell such technology to owners of cars worth tens of thousands of pounds!
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All it needs is a "secret" buddy. Tom Tom could set up a hidden buddy that would notify a trusted satnav, using the existing buddy function. As soon as a stolen unit was paired with gprs, the location would be transmitted to the "buddy". Sure, many wouldn't be paired, but enough would be that the scroats would get the message that stolen TomToms were being located.
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
All it needs is a "secret" buddy. Tom Tom could set up a hidden buddy that would notify a trusted satnav, using the existing buddy function. As soon as a stolen unit was paired with gprs, the location would be transmitted to the "buddy". Sure, many wouldn't be paired, but enough would be that the scroats would get the message that stolen TomToms were being located.

That sounds like a simple solution.
davidbeaty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....If your TomTom was stolen/lost/whatever, you could contact TomTom as such and next time that device did an update on their server it could send a message back to the unit telling it to switch off and never come back on. This is how some car trackers work, financially though it makes sense for a car of say, £20,000+ to do this, but not a SatNav of a few hundred.

Could also be factored into the TomTom Home software, so that if you connected the device via that it also disabled the unit.

A little far fetched, but it could even navigate only to the nearest police station.
pocket GPS camera POI + real voice warnings
dejaycejay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. WhenI had my first tt 300 stolen I contacted TomTom to ask if there was a way to disable it. They just replied "no". But why is there no password protection to satnavs? It would be cheap and easy. Just like all mobile 'phones.

Seems simple to me. But what do I know!! Wink

regards, Clive.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejaycejay wrote:
Hi all. WhenI had my first tt 300 stolen I contacted TomTom to ask if there was a way to disable it. They just replied "no". But why is there no password protection to satnavs? It would be cheap and easy. Just like all mobile 'phones.

regards, Clive.

We ll there is password protection on newer models but such protection has done nothing to prevent the theft of mobiles!
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose there are a lot of solutions for this problem, but after your unit gets stolen TomTom and all the other Brands know that by the time your insurance or next pay packet arrives you will out there purchasing another one.
So, as far as they are concerned, wheres the problem?.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best way to avoid/prevent thieving scum is to not let them see your 'hidden' sat nav so that the thieving bastards can't take them.

I've had a mobile phone since around 1993 and never had one lost or stolen, I've had a portable sat nav since July 2004 and never had that stolen either.

If you give them no chance of taking it then they can't.
dejaycejay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil So it benefits the manufacturers when they are stolen....

Now they wouldn't, would they? Wink

Clive.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejaycejay wrote:
Twisted Evil So it benefits the manufacturers when they are stolen....

Now they wouldn't, would they? Wink

Clive.

I seriously doubt it Clive. Laughing
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejaycejay wrote:

Clive.

Very little apparently, such as the fact that passwords and even stolen phone registers that disable stolen phones, have done nothing to stop theft of mobiles, so why would it be any different for GPS systems?

My tomtom has an excellent antitheft system, its free, its available to all at no cost, it has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years.

Its called the 'never ever ever leave it in your car alone even for one minute' system. If everyone implemented this system, theft rates would drop as close to zero as makes no difference. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you didnt use this system when your TT was stolen?

And for the future you'd prefer to use the 'fix it with complex technology that doesn't in any case work' solution, rather than the one I referred to?
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
Its called the 'never ever ever leave it in your car alone even for one minute' system. If everyone implemented this system, theft rates would drop as close to zero as makes no difference.

So there you are walking down the road with your satnav in your pocket, the scumbag has just seen you get out of your car with it.
So now i get to thinking that in reality most phones get stolen by robbery from the person or mugging, whatever you like to call it, so whats the difference with your satnav?.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: