Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V9 Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V9 Maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dizzley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
If you have just bought a new, not previously registered 310 with v8 maps, then you may find that by registering the unit with Garmin, and requesting the new v9 map DVD (which is free), Garmin may supply you a free v9 unlock code, which should give you full European mapping (although you will need an SD card to actually add more maps to the 310).

Yep, just as you said: my 310 is new and kosher, the V9 maps DVD came very quickly and registering the upgrade gave me an unlock for all of Europe.

Thank you, Garmin. I am very pleasantly surprised. I must say that I have had previous exemplary treatment when having my eTrex repaired.

Pete.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it all worked out for you.
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: v9 unlock Reply with quote

Any comment on the accuracy of this from another forum?

Quote:
After reading in another post that Garmin is changing thier policy with regards to unlock codes I called Garmin to verify. Spoke to a very nice lady in tech support who confirmed that changes were in fact in place with regards to City Navigator and unlock codes. The first change went into effect May 1 when a new policy eliminating free updates went into effect. According to tech support if you buy an older copy of a mapping software Garmin will no longer upgrade for free. The example I have is buying a copy of City Navigator 7 on E-Bay; if you want to upgrade to CN8 you will have to pay the upgrade cost.

Even more disturbing, effective June 1 there will be no free second unlock code; this includes people who have already purchased the programs with the understanding the second unlock was available. Having just bought a 76CSx and a full version of CN8 I was counting on using the second code at a later date if I decided to buy another 76 for the wife. Now I will have to buy another GPS by June 1 or lose my second unlock code.

The resaon for the changes, according to Garmin, was due to policy changes with their mapping distributor. It was recommended that all concerns about these changes be sent to techsupp@garmin.com

The only good new was that Garmin willbe doing an across the board price reduction of $75-100 on all units in the very near future. I could not get an exact date but the indication was these reductions would go into effect by summer.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nearly a year since CN (US) v8 came out - I think Garmin stop the free upgrade of the previous version a month or two before the new maps (ie US v9) are released - I'm sure they did something similar last year. There also can't be many v7 units still in shops (except on ebay, where Garmin have indicated in the past that these units will not qualify for free upgrades in the first place)...

As for the second unlock code, I don't know, but few (if any) of the SatNav units come with a second unlock code, so it will not affect many users - the main people affected will be those with 76 units, where up to now they have offered a second unlock code for free.
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each time a mapping update comes out I have been able to unlock maps for both my iQue and the 60CSX for £40+.

This means in the future that I will have to pay double for the two units!!!!!!!!!

For four years I have benefitted from this agreement and now Garmin are changing the agreement!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Garmin are correct that it is being forced upon them by Navteq, then it's possible Garmin's hands are tied.
Dizzley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The terms of unlocking a second device at https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/unlock/moreUnlockInfo.faces could be interpreted as discretionary anyway:
my.garmin.com wrote:
...you are generally allowed to unlock the same maps to one other compatible Garmin unit you own for no additional charge. (See our Unlock FAQ page for further details.) HOWEVER, this is NOT applicable to models which come with detailed maps pre-loaded and without CD or DVD-ROM's in the packages...
(my emphasis)

Also, many nuvis come with pre-loaded maps and without the DVD (not a Deluxe package).

Just putting in my newbie $0.02,
Pete.
bobbler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my v9 disk for my Nuvi 360 this morning.
Can't figure out how to install them on the actual device though. I can see the map within the Map source program but when I select "Upload to device" it just says I need to select a map ?

Dont I feel like a fool. Wouldn't let me install during the install cd, kept failing. But found the map tool
A5tra_G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you have to use the maptool to highlight the maps you want to instal, pretty sure they turn pink. You just click and drag the cursor as if selecting to copy on a pc. Sure somebody a lot more knowledable than me can explain it better.

Paul.
tonybs9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: v9 unlock Reply with quote

(My bold in the quote btw)

Presumably if you have 2 units and have already obtained, unlocked and used your second code then they won't be withdrawing the 2nd unit facility? (ie to set up Europe maps for a different area at a later date)

Quote:
After reading in another post that Garmin is changing thier policy with regards to unlock codes I called Garmin to verify. Spoke to a very nice lady in tech support who confirmed that changes were in fact in place with regards to City Navigator and unlock codes. The first change went into effect May 1 when a new policy eliminating free updates went into effect. According to tech support if you buy an older copy of a mapping software Garmin will no longer upgrade for free. The example I have is buying a copy of City Navigator 7 on E-Bay; if you want to upgrade to CN8 you will have to pay the upgrade cost.

Even more disturbing, effective June 1 there will be no free second unlock code; this includes people who have already purchased the programs with the understanding the second unlock was available. Having just bought a 76CSx and a full version of CN8 I was counting on using the second code at a later date if I decided to buy another 76 for the wife. Now I will have to buy another GPS by June 1 or lose my second unlock code.

The resaon for the changes, according to Garmin, was due to policy changes with their mapping distributor. It was recommended that all concerns about these changes be sent to techsupp@garmin.com

The only good new was that Garmin willbe doing an across the board price reduction of $75-100 on all units in the very near future. I could not get an exact date but the indication was these reductions would go into effect by summer.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: v9 unlock Reply with quote

tonybs9 wrote:
(My bold in the quote btw)

Presumably if you have 2 units and have already obtained, unlocked and used your second code then they won't be withdrawing the 2nd unit facility? (ie to set up Europe maps for a different area at a later date)

If you already have the unlock code for a second device, you already have it and it can't be taken away from you. Unfortunately Garmin took this decision because the 2nd unlock code was being abused by people who had friends with compatible devices, but I guess you know that already.
bobbydee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: COPYING MAPS Reply with quote

A5tra_G

Left click on map and select area by dragging,then click on transfer to device.My sd micro card was used.Then send.It worked for me.I used a card reader.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbler wrote:
Just got my v9 disk for my Nuvi 360 this morning.
Can't figure out how to install them on the actual device though.
Insert the DVD, select the "Upgrade maps (Nuvi, etc.)" option, and let it do it's stuff - don't try to update the maps from within MapSource, as this produces much larger maps, and won't overwrite the v8 maps, giving postcode and traffic information issues.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: