Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V9 Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V9 Maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimmehB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, sorted it, couldn't find the map tool Embarassed
agapanthus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an i3 from September 2005, which I'd never registered. It all worked fine, but I decided to update the maps as I wanted maps of France. I didn't have the yellow slip with the code on it, so I rang Garmin, who provided the number very promptly by email.

Armed with that, I registered the unit - giving the true purchase date. Although the i3 was over a year old, I was able to order the DVD on the website for free. :D It seems to be the date of registration that matters, not the date of purchase.

The only problem that I had during installation was when updating the firmware. My machine runs Vista, so I followed Garmin's instructions for that, but the machine bluescreened - fortunately before deleting the i3's operating system. Exclamation The second time I tried was on XP and that was fine, so I'd advise not using Vista to do firmware updates for the time being.

Jane
nicka2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: V9 upgrade dependent on date of registration? Reply with quote

I bought my i3 on 11Aug06 and registered it with Garmin the same day.

As this is 20 days before the new V9 maps were released, does that mean that I won't be able to upgrade for free, and will have to pay for an unlock code? Crying or Very sad

If so, that seems a bit mean - had I known, I'd have delayed registering for three weeks and thus qualified for the free upgrade.

Anyone have any experience of this or thoughts?

Many thanks

nicka2
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you have missed out on a free upgrade, at the time you bought the unit you bought the latest maps, and Garmin had not announced the new maps. As such, you must have realised that at some point you would need to pay to upgrade to the next maps (when they came out), and therefore it's now your choice how quickly you spend the money to upgrade.

Garmin have to set the cutoff somewhere, and they do it based on registration date, which seems fair to me. Although some people have managed to get a free upgrade this year, all those units will be registered now, and they won't get a free upgrade next year of course.

Me? My unit was bought way too early for a free upgrade, so I accepted it, and paid the money (all £40) to get some great map improvements on roads I regularly travel on...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although the i3 was over a year old, I was able to order the DVD on the website for free.

The DVD is free to everyone regardless of when they bought their unit. It's the unlock code you have to pay for - the DVD is useless without it.

You will have to pay for the unlock code if you gave the correct purchase date.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been putting it off for a while, i have the DVD and i've tried reading all 21 pages here. I've got the PDF with the screen shots and instructions for loading the maps. However a few questions.

1) I only want the UK maps and don't need the whole of Europe. Do i understand correctly i can do this?

2) My i3 has a 256 Mb Transflash card. Will this hold all the UK Maps and the 30,000 odd POIs (inc Safety Cameras) i currently load?

3) If i where to get a bigger card can i just replace the old one and then load the maps to it? Or do i have to prepare it in anyway?

4) Roughly how long does it take to transfer the maps?
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I've been putting it off for a while, i have the DVD and i've tried reading all 21 pages here. I've got the PDF with the screen shots and instructions for loading the maps. However a few questions.

1) I only want the UK maps and don't need the whole of Europe. Do i understand correctly i can do this?
That's OK

2) My i3 has a 256 Mb Transflash card. Will this hold all the UK Maps and the 30,000 odd POIs (inc Safety Cameras) i currently load?

The UK and Ireland is 56 maps and 196.9MB

3) If i where to get a bigger card can i just replace the old one and then load the maps to it? Or do i have to prepare it in anyway?

4) Roughly how long does it take to transfer the maps?

It took me 45 minutes for 800MB yesterday-The building of the index etc takes a while and then the transfer to the SD card-use a card reader if you can and the transfer is quicker

The answers are for the Non-NT version that I use in both my units
Hope this helps!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble - cheers. I have the NT version. I just worried i'll fill the card with maps or only have room for 4 POIs or something....
Dizzley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Nuvi 310 (UK+IE) from Amazon last weekend. It has V8 map loaded. I've emailed Garmin to ask if I'm entitled to a free V9 upgrade.

I'll let you know how I go on.

Pete
tonybs9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: NEWBIE ALERT! Reply with quote

I have a C510D which has v8 preloaded. I qualified for a free v9 update and the disk arrived today. I've loaded the new version of Mapsource onto my laptop (or loaded the new version into Mapsource - whichever Mapsource now shows both v8 and v9)

I've managed to update the maps on my SD card for my holiday in a couple of weeks, but I cant seem to update the unit itself. It doesnt want to overwrite the v8 maps on the unit with the new v9 maps from my laptop using Mapsource. If I receive from Device it downloads my Faves but no maps. If I go to upload the new UK maps onto the unit it says the mapset is xxmb and i only have xmb space left.

Nor will it do it using the option when the DVD autoloads of "Click to update your Garmin Nuvi or c5xx" .

Any suggestions?

Tony 8)
Dizzley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, Myself, I wrote:
I'll let you know how I go on.

Well, the MyGarmin site now recognises I qualify for a V9 update. Woo-hoo. I ordered a DVD today successfully. Notwithstanding Tamila's problems I am pretty confident.

I notice that there are a number of changes to the Garmin pages today (01-May) and I don't think it's just due to my change of status...

Perhaps things may just improve in this area.

Pete
----------------------------------------------------------------
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
VEGG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say thanks to this thread i have now had my free update disc and free unlock code for city nav nt europe v9 all works fine. :D took about 10 days for me to get the disc which is great as im off to france soon :D
A5tra_G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine today, upgraded my C310 fine, only put uk on for now which used about 140mb, plenty of space left on my 1gb card for the some of Europe later. When adding more maps will it delete the existing uk meaning I have to reinstall them?.
Dizzley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... do I have this right: the 310 I just bought can be upgraded free of charge to take the full set of Europe maps?

I'm very happy! :D I thought I had compromised and was stuck with just the UK maps.
My blog - http://ccgi.disley.plus.com/wp/ - "A Mad World, My Masters"
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dizzley wrote:
So... do I have this right: the 310 I just bought can be upgraded free of charge to take the full set of Europe maps?
Basically, it depends. If you have just bought a new, not previously registered 310 with v8 maps, then you may find that by registering the unit with Garmin, and requesting the new v9 map DVD (which is free), Garmin may supply you a free v9 unlock code, which should give you full European mapping (although you will need an SD card to actually add more maps to the 310). If however, it's previously registered, it came with v9 maps, or the Garmin offer has finished, then, no, you won't get a free upgrade.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: