Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V9 Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V9 Maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JillG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Garmin think it was the update disc, but I had updated via the net before so am not sure. If I do install V9 it will be on a card! as Garmin explained the whole mapping would have to be done otherwise would wipe previous out again i.e. if I wanted parts of the map. Am I making sense Laughing I love gadgets but they do make my headache sometimes!
chrisles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a link for downloading V9 update disk as im still waiting for mine and ordered 12th Dec. Would be easier to download it.
JillG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to wait for the disk am afraid. The download I was referring to was this:

WebUpdater is a free application that lets you update your unit software from home. Download it once at the link below, and you can check for and install software updates without using your Internet web browser. Simply run WebUpdater from your PC, and it will do all of the work for you.
rustyjames
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerLee wrote:
Hi

Managed to update my I3 to V9 maps today but I have a question.

My I3 has the map data stored on the internal memory but the POIs stored on the memory card.

If I was to buy a bigger memory card would I be able to install the whole of Europe map data to this card & use it?

What size of memory card would I need to buy?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Can I just confirm you've gone from V8 to V9 on the internal memory? That's what I'm struggling to do at the moment - no problem putting V9 on a card.

Maybe it's the firmware version as I have 2.7 and don't really want to update and break something that's been working fine.
ryokan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the concensus is to update to the card (where you can) and it also seems a good idea to update to a new card, bigger than original so that you can load more maps. I've done this and have the security of the original V8 maps on original card in case things went wrong.
Just to let you know that there are some 512mb cards which come with free usb card readers going usually very cheap on ebay - I've noticed that they are going for sometimes less than £5 including postage from USA but usually for a little more. I got one and it works and it arrived in 7 days. If you type the words - topram 512mb - in the ebay search box you will see for yourself.
This is not advertising, only trying to be helpful in return for help received.
(I heard elsewhere that maybe 1gig card might be a problem so I decided to get a couple of 512mb, can use as nomal SD card with the adapter you get for camera etc when I am not using with the i3)
rfarnell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Europe DVD arrived through the post this morning. I had rung Garmin on Monday about the delay in delivery and they said they had just received a batch that they were sending out in the next few days so if you've been waiting you may receive it in the next day or two.

Selecting all the regions of Europe totalled 1.4Gb of data so if you want to transfer it to your SD card you will need at least a 2Gb card. Mapsource wouldn't allow me to update to the GPS unit directly without deleting the gmapprom.img file first so backup your device before you update.

It took me about 40 minutes to back the device up and another 40 minutes to update it.

Rob
jingwe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on my quest to upgrade the internal maps on my I3.

First phone call to garmin produced nothing - said they would research and get back to me. After a few days and no reply I called again. Again, they need to research and get back to me. Mailed me the next day with instructions to delete mapsource, clean registry keys and retry.

No good - tried it on my primary machine and a clean portable and still the same problem. Mailed back the results and after another few days with no response phoned again.

This time the guy tells me that you CANNOT update the internal maps from mapsource. Sad

What should have happened aparrently is when the updater starts and I choose the option to "update any other garmin device", the installer should take me through a process to update the internal mapping, whereas mine leads to a PC install of mapsource and then finishes.

From what they have said, it looks as if there is a problem in the detection of my device in the install program leading to the wrong branch of the program.

They have said they will try to duplicate my problem and get back to me, though it may take a while Sad

Will keep you posted on any developments, though I am disappointed that it was only the third tech support guy I talked to that realised that trying to update the internal memory on an I3 via mapsource was not possible.
swanson2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Is It Worth The Hassle? Reply with quote

Hi,

I was contemplating upgrading my two i3's to V9 mapping, but having browsed through the experiences in this forum, I really do not think it is worth the hassle.

Can anyone convince me that it is worthwhile to upgrade at the present time?

I will only be using my i3's in the United Kingdom, and I have never had a message on the screen of my 8 month old V8 mapping units telling me to upgrade.

Regards,

Robert Swanson

:D
snowboardcriminal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded, works like a dream no problems what so ever once i had the right unlock code, but ity was a free update so no cash outlay. If i had to pay i probably wouldnt except i now have full Europe on a £90 unit.

There are things that I know and you don't know, there are things that you know that i don't know, but always remember there is much that we both don't know.
Camper63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused. I have read all of the treads on this.

I have an i3 with V8 mapping on an SD card. This was upraded by Garmin fron the V7 mapping in 2006.

If I get the v9 upgrade DVD and pay the $75 for the unlock code will this give me acess to the maps for the whole of Europe and I can transfer them on to another SD card ?

Derek
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but Garmin told me that the largest card you can use in the i3 is 1GB, and you cannot put the whole of Europe on a 1GB card. However it will take all of Western Europe, plus quite a bit of the rest.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Camper63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems too good to be true.

Thanks

Derek
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's certainly a good deal! :D
Samsung Galaxy S21
nre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received not 1 but TWO update DVDs from Garmin on Saturday. I had a 1Gb card sitting unused in my phone, so having heard of people being able to unlock the whole of Europe, thought I would give it a go on this card, keeping my original 256Mg card as an unmolested backup!

The upgrade process went smoothly, unlocked for free, loaded up Mapsource, selected an area equivalent to ~900Mb (all of Western Europe, plus a bit of the East too!) and loaded it up (took a long time on a USB1.1 car reader!).

It all works fine, and means the i3 can now come on holiday to France in the summer...

If anyone is still waiting for an upgrade DVD , I can bung my spare/unopened one in 2nd class post. 1st come 1st served...

Cheers,

Neil
Camper63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 14 of 22

Jump to: