Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: TMC Questions Reply with quote

Here and on the Garmin Streetpilot and Nuvi section we get lots of questions and queeries about various TMC set-ups.
All sorts of questions from coverage to signal strength etc.
With the increase in Satnav numbers there is obviously an inrease in TMC's.
The Rrafficmaster coverage is still somewhat limited and I wonder if and how coverage is improving and how we can expect to see more roads being covered with the increase in TMC usaers.
Could PGPSW get some input from Trafficmaster , we here are boosting use of TMC and doing our best to anser users questions. But how about some feed back from the people providing the service.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any awnswers here then?
Is the Network for Trafficmaster due to increase on more roads sometime soon ?
Has anyone at PGPSW got on to these people for some feed back to some of the frequent questions raised here?

Laughing
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second this request as it seems reception in this country is poor at best. I think all TMC groups should be prodded for intel as is seems this is what all the TMC problems on this site are untimately as a result of.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll third this. I agree it would be of some useful if PGPSW could at least approach ITIS, Trafficmaster, TomTom, Garmin etc and ask for their comments on the use of TMC with GPS devices in the UK. I wouldn't expect any definitive answers, but it may be of interest. The ideal situation in the medium term, would be specific advice, even if it was totally unofficial and buried in disclaimers, as to the preferred way of attaching an external aerial, and which type of aerial would be best.

The other point which I haven't seen specifically mentioned, is the make/model of car members are using PND TMC in, as well as locations.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray Guys.
loads have looked at my post but no one posted and no one had replied.
I should be on commision from PGPSW as I keep pointing people this way for sat nav info and a hell of a lot re TMC stuff.

Feed back on signal problems and how if and when the systems improve re road coverage seems about zero.
I seem to get better road info when travelling in France than here. WHY ?
Come on PGPSW. WAKE up and get some answers for us Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
I seem to get better road info when travelling in France than here. WHY ?
Is this better i.e. more accurate traffic data? or you simply find that the unit remains locked to the correct radio station more often in France than the UK? - Mike
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Example driving south on the autoroute from Dunkerke and Calais, not only do I get good reception for hundres of miles, I get warnings of even minor road works at the side of the motorway.
Two or three men with a van and trailer with warning signs that they are working on the hard shoulder and Nuvi is flashing a warning at me even if there is no hold up!
With continental speed cam warning and POI's and the TMC flashing up as the sighns are being cleaned, I just need it to boing in time to my heavy metal selection in the multi player. Laughing
Seriously though, surely this fine site can get some more news on what is happening with these systems !!!!!!!!!!!!

Or have we and others just spent money on a system with dodgy signals and static network coverage.
Advice that the connector for my Unit needed a Fakra plug to fit it to the main aerial was better info than the guys at Garmin came up even though they were very helpful.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

French autoroute signalling is generally better because they are generally privatly run, or as such because of the way they are run, need to provide a service to their customers that works. They run their own tmc broadcast for the motorways.

Ever seen the solar pannelled antenas in the center divide, I bet they are repeaters for the signal.

This of cource is the kind of service we all believed we were buying into when we bought our TMC enabled devices. Come on!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, they is now a nationwide RDS-TMC commercial service which doesn't use the motorway transmitters, and it can suffer similar problems to the 2 UK services depending where in France you are. Having said that, it still seems to work more than the UK services do.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that gives a little more in-sight to things.
But still no feed back from the people a trafficmaster or anyone else.

I can't see why PGPSW appear not to be chasing a few more people for answers rather than us getting by as a self help group grabbing at any info we can pool.

Surely it's in the interest of the service providers and the Satnav producers to have detaila as to how, why, when and where re using of TMC Laughing
diabeticpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a similar appeal back in November..................

There have been some quite heated posts recently about TMC reception. There seem to be good and bad experiences of the technology but very little access to any expert knowledge. As the demand for a TMC facility grows, could we ask Pocket GPS World to.........

Invite Trafficmaster and Itis to write up some hints & tips to good reception and what to expect from current technology in the UK.

"Road Test" TMC kit both software and hardware in various parts of the country. I would have thought this could be made available on loan from most of the big players in the market.

Obviously the TMC situation in the UK is very different from the rest of Europe - perhaps we need special treatment?

Anyone agree?

Nothing happened!
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I do.
Whilst the big wigs of PGPSW are of across the pond checking out he new gear and writing up the news for the opening home page.

Do they ever have a look see here Rolling Eyes

Come on guys, TMC has loads of issues that need answering !
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No feed back then ? Smile
avianskipdiver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a Sony NV-U50T primarily because it included TMC. Basic reception is very poor. Today I extended the built-in aerial wire; still got nothing travelling from High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire to west London, until around the M25 when the signal became solid and accumulated about 80 messages.

I'm totally new to this and didn't realise there were different versions of TMC: Can anyone tell me whose TMC service Sony uses..?
Gary
avianskipdiver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - found it: iTIS

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: