Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Press release - 28th November 2006 - NEW MAPS !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Press release - 28th November 2006 - NEW MAPS !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the new road layout at Ferry Bridge A1M / M62 has been added to these latest maps?

Will all voice warnings/safety cameras etc. still work ok when a new map is added to a TT One (V1)?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen new maps on a TomTom device, although not used it in anger. As someone who uses this stretch of road when travelling between Gloucestershire and Yorkshire, one of the first things I did was to look at this specific area.

While I can't say for definate that all the changes are correctly represented, the A1 now goes around the back of the power station - so much better than before. Also, more of the changes further north around the Wetherby area have improved, but as I know that area much better, I know that there is still not fully updated.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Ferrybridge section of the A1 has been amended, does anyone know about the following two changes? Have they been included on the new maps?

Enfield Town: New road system near station (Southbury Road, Church Street, London Road)

Shirley, Solihull: New housing estate at Dickens Heath.
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that TT say the 910 has the latest maps and not to download the updates so I assume downloaders will get these same 'latest' maps.

If that is the case your TT will still try and send you down one way streets and show you crossing old ploughed fields where new roundabouts have been built all which have been there for two years or more.

I'm afraid the 'latest' is still very very late.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Downloading European detailed maps Reply with quote

colin_thames wrote:
Oh, and the email I got after 10 mins from TomTom told me the download is available until 30 November, todayl

I think if you check you will find that is 30 November 2007, i.e you have 12 months to download it. Laughing
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
I don't know whether I've been really unlucky but this is my experience:

I started with the setup as detailed in the signature below. I used Home as per the website instructions and it found the updates no problem. The updates (Applic / Map of UK & Ie / and postcodes) downloaded and installed to the SD card OK. I was then instructed to remove and reinsert SD card, the ttn.cab file started and it advised it was going to remove Nav5, then it said it couldn't. I contacted support and they suggested removing TTN5 via add/remove progs on XDA. Tried again, no good. Called support again, was advised to reformat SD card and try again, it was only after this that I realised that the application is in internal memory and that I had just wasted my time. Obviously still no result so called again, was told hard reset was only way to go.
This I have done and have noticed that there is no shortcut on the Today screen so I have added it to the dropdown menu. I copied the pgps cameras over and reset everything, the renaming of the cfg file didn't work for me and I'm having to reprogramme my favourites etc. I had a struggle to reset my account so that Traffic would work again.
So I'm about there now with v6.6 maps and v6.01 application, having spent 」30 odd quid and spent about a day clearing up the mess!

Am I any better off? ...............

Only time will tell

I too am going through this problem process trying to install to my Pocket Loox 720 which Tom Tom say is compatible. It too has been escalated to 2nd line support. I have had to reset my device, reformat my SD card etc etc but to no avail. I had to reinstall TTN5 and again go through the whole registration process with Tom Tom. I have tried just using the new maps with TTN5 but it says no maps are installed even though TT Home shows them as being on the SD card. What a waste of money and a day's frustrating effort! Is this the end of the line of the partnership from TTN1 to TTN5 with me and Tom Tom? You bet!
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep readers updated on my update !

I received back an EMail from Tom Tom, they gave me a link to download for my Tom Tom GO Classic an application version 6.15 and advised I install that and then I should be able to install my new GB+IE maps.

I was sceptical about this but I like to give people the benefit of doubt.
I backed up my device (I would recommend all users do this regularly and before updates), downloaded the 6.15 application to my laptop using Tom Tom Home and applied it to the SD card. I then tried to download the 230Mb+ GB+IE maps transfer to the Lap top and ... NO THEY STILL DO NOT DOWNLOAD but report the File error:"No file".

Tom Tom Home and my account on their Web page show the new map available having been purchased and now with just less than a year to be downloaded.

Do any readers think the fact I have my Tom Tom connected with a too small a SD card (it is 256Mb) is causing the issue? I realise I do need to get a larger card such as 512Mb but would have thought the initial transfer to the Laptop hard disk should work regardless of the size/space on the SD card.

So this weekend's task is to restore the Tom Tom back to the newer application and give them another call. I suspect at this rate it is cheaper to just buy a 1Gb SD card with Western Europe maps even though I have no plans to travel in Western Europe driving myself.

If other users are having similar issues I would like to hear about them.

Good Luck on your updates.
Mike
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Update received from Tom Tom Support Reply with quote

Rowan29a wrote:
SpikeyMikey wrote:
I don't know whether I've been really unlucky but this is my experience:

I started with the setup as detailed in the signature below. I used Home as per the website instructions and it found the updates no problem. The updates (Applic / Map of UK & Ie / and postcodes) downloaded and installed to the SD card OK. I was then instructed to remove and reinsert SD card, the ttn.cab file started and it advised it was going to remove Nav5, then it said it couldn't. I contacted support and they suggested removing TTN5 via add/remove progs on XDA. Tried again, no good. Called support again, was advised to reformat SD card and try again, it was only after this that I realised that the application is in internal memory and that I had just wasted my time. Obviously still no result so called again, was told hard reset was only way to go.
This I have done and have noticed that there is no shortcut on the Today screen so I have added it to the dropdown menu. I copied the pgps cameras over and reset everything, the renaming of the cfg file didn't work for me and I'm having to reprogramme my favourites etc. I had a struggle to reset my account so that Traffic would work again.
So I'm about there now with v6.6 maps and v6.01 application, having spent 」30 odd quid and spent about a day clearing up the mess!

Am I any better off? ...............

Only time will tell

I too am going through this problem process trying to install to my Pocket Loox 720 which Tom Tom say is compatible. It too has been escalated to 2nd line support. I have had to reset my device, reformat my SD card etc etc but to no avail. I had to reinstall TTN5 and again go through the whole registration process with Tom Tom. I have tried just using the new maps with TTN5 but it says no maps are installed even though TT Home shows them as being on the SD card. What a waste of money and a day's frustrating effort! Is this the end of the line of the partnership from TTN1 to TTN5 with me and Tom Tom?

Since I had my gripe, Tom Tom support (thank you Celeste H (UK)) came up with this fix:

Please take the following steps:

- hard-reset the PDA.
- then, use TomTom HOME to install the maps and application onto the SD-card. Once done, remove the SD-card.
- on the Loox, launch File Explorer. In File Explorer, browse to My Device\Looxstore\
- there will be a folder there named: 2577
- rename this folder to 2577.old
- soft-reset the PDA and insert the SD-card. TomTom Navigator 6 should auto-install and verify the new map data.

Please note that this fix was for a Pocket Loox 720 but I do not see any reason why it should not work for other WM2003Se PDAs.

colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom HOME map download error Reply with quote

mike37 wrote:
Have any other users experienced problems downloading the new map for GB+IE plus major roads of WE - version 660.1219 ?

Today, I have updated Tom Tom HOME to their latest version 1.3.308 dated 30/10/6 12.43.04 and successfully used Tom Tom Home to download an update called Postal codes file for UK TeleAtlas Maps (8.7Mb) but when I try to download the map it reports very quickly "An error occurred downloading ths file:"no file"

I have been on the phone now to Tom Tom for about 1 hour without success, they have offered a refund but for some reason cannot supply a SD card with the GB+IE map , they only offer Western Europe which I do not want.

It is worth noting that they advised me that the SD card will need to be more than 256Mb too. The old v571 map was 198.6Mb, the new v660 map is 232.1 Mb.

Tomorrow they are EMailing me having escalated this to second line support. I have just received an EMail - most of it is in a foreign language (Dutch ?) - not much use to me as I only speak English

Mike, I had this problem about five times when downloading the Europe full maps. Sometimes it went up to about 70% of the download before giving the same error message, which could take up to an hour. To restart it I generally shut down TomTomHome and restarted it. The last time I tried downloading it was about 11.30pm and the speed was dramatically faster and it finished without problems. TomTomHome has a download cache folder that it places in your Documents folder, but I'm not sure if it started from scratch each time or can deal with interupted downloads. Do you have anything in your folder? It may be your broadband connection has a lot of users or it may be TomTom's servers. If you are still having problems, why not try really late at night, but make sure your PC's power settings don't allow it to shut down or go into power saving at all!

Hope this helps
Col
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike37 wrote:
Do any readers think the fact I have my Tom Tom connected with a too small a SD card
HOME doesn't bring the SD Card into the equation until after the download. You will then be asked if you want to Install now, or later.
mike37 wrote:
So this weekend's task is to restore the Tom Tom back to the newer application and give them another call.
You can find several GO Versions on my Webspace that go back to V5.xxx and forwqard to V6.52 ;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruggen
I have made contact with Tomtom by email and they have verified that I have paid for a download. They also gave me a Link that would explain how I should proceed. However when I click on the link all It does is send me to a blank white screen containing no info at all. Weird.

So, I have been back to the Tomtom site but can see no way to download without going through the pay procedure again and as you may imagine I知 very reluctant to do that. I知 stumped.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
So, I have been back to the Tomtom site but can see no way to download without going through the pay procedure again and as you may imagine I知 very reluctant to do that. I知 stumped.

Logon to your account, select My Products, then Maps on the right hand side, and you should see a download link for maps you have purchased.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kartracer
Its ok, I got there eventually and I知 downloading now.

I am quite accustomed to downloading software and usually find it a simple process but Tomtom always seem to make things complicated if they can. There helpline is a good example. Go Online and try to ask a question and also go to this Forum and ask the same question. You will usually get an answer from this Forum before you manage to ask Tomtom the actual question (perhaps I may be exaggerating slightly but you get the idea).

Anyway, lets hope that the new updated map will be worth the time and expense.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard for your advice on the SD size and the bearing on the transfer to the Laptop.

I still cannot download the GB+IE maps version 660 for the Tom Tom GO Classic. I have asked Tom Tom amongst other things:-

Why are they not supplying a SD such as 512Mb with the latest 6.520 application and 660 GB+IE maps. They offer Western Europe on a SD for 149.95 Euro or about 」104 so I think I know the answer - MONEY !

Why they do not specify a minimum SD size for various map combinations. It is all well and good to mention checking the size but would it really have been difficult to give a guide size.

Why does their web page itself not allow direct download following payment.

Does the GB+IE map download link to the same server as say the application 6.520 download. The latter works fine for me.

I will let readers know once I speak to them again Monday - their support is closed Saturday - again - rather bizarre having just issued an update 3-4 weeks before Christmas.

Mike
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! 1 hour 4 mins to go and it stopped downloading. S**t. I dont know the cause but I must try again.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: