Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Press release - 28th November 2006 - NEW MAPS !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Press release - 28th November 2006 - NEW MAPS !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobW - details of the new method using .ogg files are all contained in THIS TOPIC

(Ignore the title and mention in the first post about v6... it also works fine in v5 software).

The advantage of this method is that you can use ANY sdound or voice, even make your own!
All you need is a sound editor program for your PC that can record oggs, "Audacity" is an excellent free one available on the web.
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrzipy wrote:
Well I just paid for 2 new maps via the TomTom site, everything confirmed.

When I use TomTom Home it find no updates, logging in using the same account as I did on the website.

Any ideas?

The website shows the new maps in TomTom PLUS - Maps but tells you to download via TomTom home.

Hi m8,

I did my updates last night, was also not sure how to download at first, however, the site does tell us how to do it! First you need the new version of TomTom Home, there is a link on the page you arrived at after paying, then you connect your TomTom to your computer, Home should start and you will/should be able to download the maps you have paid for, you may have to log in with TomTom Home, let us know how you get on.

Bob.
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said I am logged into TomTom Home with the same username as password as I bought them with on the TomTom site.

I already have the latest Mac version of TomTom Home, I even just booted up a virtual machine of Windows XP and tried TomTom Home there, still no updates.

I have just emailed TomTom support.
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rang TomTom, I had to reset my account on the Change Device section and it now finds the updates.
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom HOME map download error Reply with quote

Have any other users experienced problems downloading the new map for GB+IE plus major roads of WE - version 660.1219 ?

Today, I have updated Tom Tom HOME to their latest version 1.3.308 dated 30/10/6 12.43.04 and successfully used Tom Tom Home to download an update called Postal codes file for UK TeleAtlas Maps (8.7Mb) but when I try to download the map it reports very quickly "An error occurred downloading ths file:"no file"

I have been on the phone now to Tom Tom for about 1 hour without success, they have offered a refund but for some reason cannot supply a SD card with the GB+IE map , they only offer Western Europe which I do not want.

It is worth noting that they advised me that the SD card will need to be more than 256Mb too. The old v571 map was 198.6Mb, the new v660 map is 232.1 Mb.

Tomorrow they are EMailing me having escalated this to second line support. I have just received an EMail - most of it is in a foreign language (Dutch ?) - not much use to me as I only speak English
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom HOME map download error Reply with quote

mike37 wrote:
Have any other users experienced problems downloading the new map for GB+IE plus major roads of WE - version 660.1219 ?

Today, I have updated Tom Tom HOME to their latest version 1.3.308 dated 30/10/6 12.43.04 and successfully used Tom Tom Home to download an update called Postal codes file for UK TeleAtlas Maps (8.7Mb) but when I try to download the map it reports very quickly "An error occurred downloading ths file:"no file"

I have been on the phone now to Tom Tom for about 1 hour without success, they have offered a refund but for some reason cannot supply a SD card with the GB+IE map , they only offer Western Europe which I do not want.

It is worth noting that they advised me that the SD card will need to be more than 256Mb too. The old v571 map was 198.6Mb, the new v660 map is 232.1 Mb.

Tomorrow they are EMailing me having escalated this to second line support. I have just received an EMail - most of it is in a foreign language (Dutch ?) - not much use to me as I only speak English

Hi,

Sorry you are having problems, all I can tell you is I downloaded this Map update for my GO300 yesterday and had no problems, not much help to you.

I just had a thought, are you saying the map will not download to your computer or install on your SD card? If you have downloaded the map to your computer, but it will not install on your SD card then try another SD Card?

Bob.
Bolty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
The price is the same for all, I think. Without logging in, I was quoted €79.96 for the TTN5 WE map.

Thanks for the info Tim.

I think I'll get in touch with TomTom.

After purchasing the WE maps a couple of months ago, and finding that they were still out of date, I was offered a discount from TomTom for the new maps.

If the €79 is the price for everyone, I don't class it as discounted.

I'll see what they say.

Thanks again.
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob

The problem I have is the download to the computer of the map and not from the computer to the SD card.

The Tom Tom Home has at least recognised there is a paid for map available to download which is something.

As to the SD, I am bemused that they are not offering a SD card such as 512Mb with just the GB+IE maps. A pity too that their web page does not recommend a minimum size of SD card. I only have currently a 256Mb SD so will either end out buying one from elsewhere or at this rate getting a new SD from Tom Tom, albeit perhaps with loads of Western Europe maps I do not need. I am hoping they will charge me no more than the what they originally wanted for the download as compensation !

I guess I will have to wait until their 2nd line support come back to me tomorrow. For now I have ruled out a firewall type issue since I have managed to download the postcode update to the computer.

Final thought, it would not be so bad if they were paying for the phone call.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether I've been really unlucky but this is my experience:

I started with the setup as detailed in the signature below. I used Home as per the website instructions and it found the updates no problem. The updates (Applic / Map of UK & Ie / and postcodes) downloaded and installed to the SD card OK. I was then instructed to remove and reinsert SD card, the ttn.cab file started and it advised it was going to remove Nav5, then it said it couldn't. I contacted support and they suggested removing TTN5 via add/remove progs on XDA. Tried again, no good. Called support again, was advised to reformat SD card and try again, it was only after this that I realised that the application is in internal memory and that I had just wasted my time. Obviously still no result so called again, was told hard reset was only way to go.
This I have done and have noticed that there is no shortcut on the Today screen so I have added it to the dropdown menu. I copied the pgps cameras over and reset everything, the renaming of the cfg file didn't work for me and I'm having to reprogramme my favourites etc. I had a struggle to reset my account so that Traffic would work again.
So I'm about there now with v6.6 maps and v6.01 application, having spent £30 odd quid and spent about a day clearing up the mess!

Am I any better off? ...............

Only time will tell
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike37 wrote:
Bob

A pity too that their web page does not recommend a minimum size of SD card. I only have currently a 256Mb SD so will either end out buying one from elsewhere or at this rate getting a new SD from Tom TomFinal thought, it would not be so bad if they were paying for the phone call.

Mike,

I haven't read the FULL thread so forgive me if I'm "jumping the gun" a little. Their web site does (on this occasion) advise to check the size of your SD card, prior to download.
A good priced source for SD's www.mobymemory.co.uk, www.7dayshop.com. Moby have a quicker turnaround, and both have no quibble return (I am sure that many others will also have recommendations)
Good luck Wink
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A map upgrade for my Tomtom 5.
OK, I went for the Download but I’m not sure if I ( I feel a bit of a twit) ordered the download or a delivery.

At the start I logged in, entered Navigator 5 as my model, entered ‘Other Device’ and then selected ‘Map of Western Europe’. I then clicked on ‘Add to cart’ instead of Download (my mistake) and checked out. I paid 79.76 Euro and a page came up showing my Order number. And that was it.

I have now received emailed notification that my Visa has been billed and have also received an emailed invoice.

I just went back to my Tomtom account/orders and it says status ‘Captured’ and shipping status ‘Shipped’. I suppose all this means that it will come through the post?
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
BobW - details of the new method using .ogg files are all contained in THIS TOPIC

(Ignore the title and mention in the first post about v6... it also works fine in v5 software).

The advantage of this method is that you can use ANY sdound or voice, even make your own!
All you need is a sound editor program for your PC that can record oggs, "Audacity" is an excellent free one available on the web.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your helpful reply, I clicked on the link read a few replies, found my Liz Whitaker files on my HD renamed them, installed them in the correct DIR and give my GO 300 a try only to find I still had the old sounds. So I thought read some more replies, sure enough there it was you had to disable all the POI's and re enable them, I did this gave the GO a try and YES Liz is back, so no more having to wait for the new data.chk files.

I must try and keep up with this forum, I have missed so much since I have been away.

Regards,

Bob.
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike37 wrote:
Bob

The problem I have is the download to the computer of the map and not from the computer to the SD card.

The Tom Tom Home has at least recognised there is a paid for map available to download which is something.

As to the SD, I am bemused that they are not offering a SD card such as 512Mb with just the GB+IE maps. A pity too that their web page does not recommend a minimum size of SD card. I only have currently a 256Mb SD so will either end out buying one from elsewhere or at this rate getting a new SD from Tom Tom, albeit perhaps with loads of Western Europe maps I do not need. I am hoping they will charge me no more than the what they originally wanted for the download as compensation !

I guess I will have to wait until their 2nd line support come back to me tomorrow. For now I have ruled out a firewall type issue since I have managed to download the postcode update to the computer.

Final thought, it would not be so bad if they were paying for the phone call.

Hi Mike,

Sorry you are having all these problems, thankfully for me all went well with my upgrade.

I also think they should be offering a 512Mb SD Card with the GB+IE maps, I could then keep my Kingston 512Mb card as a backup. However, it is more profit for them if they do it this way.

This is a problem with so many companies the front line is of little use, getting further is a problem, for you it would be so simple if they just gave you a link to download a copy as a ZIP package.

Phone calls I don't mind as I only pay 3p for the call no matter how long the call lasts, what I don't like are 0870 rip off numbers, I hope you are not having to dial an 0870 number for TomTom support.

I have tonight got my Liz Whitaker voice POI warnings working so am happy with that.

Good luck tomorrow.

Bob.
Bruggen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,

The price you've paid indicates to me that you have purchased a download upgrade only, as you have recieved the 20% discount on it. Yoou should download and install using Tom Tom Home.

Bruggen
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Downloading European detailed maps Reply with quote

Here's a tip and a warning.
Tip: I bought a secondhand Go 500 last month and it included a map upgrade voucher in the box. I already owned a Go 700 which I had bought on 22nd Feb 2006, 8 days before the cut off point for discounted maps!
I decided to upgrade my maps and tried the 500's discount code together with my 700 registration number and it worked. The main advantage of this is that I got detailed European maps for free, rather than the 500's GB+IE only maps. If I buy the GB map later for the Go500 it'll be a lot cheaper than the european upgrade.

The warning: the download of detailed European maps is about 980MB! The free space on my 700 is 1GB, so I hope the maps will fit. And the download time on my broadband is meant to be just under 3 hours! I say 'meant to be' because I'm doing it now and keeping my fingers crossed it'll work. Oh, and the email I got after 10 mins from TomTom told me the download is available until 30 November, today. So don't upgrade your maps unless you have access to TomTom Home and a fast connection immediately.

It seems a shame that if you want the DVD it costs so much more.

Good luck to all with the upgrades and keep that advice going.
Cheers
Col

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: