Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Press release - 28th November 2006 - NEW MAPS !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Press release - 28th November 2006 - NEW MAPS !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Updated GO300 Reply with quote

Well having read today about the new maps I decided to get the update, I think it is worth doing with the 20% discount even though I don't do alot of driving.

I went to the TomTom site, filled in the information and connected my GO300 to my computer, all downloaded ok and I had no problems installing the update.

There are a couple of things I would have liked to know before downloading, it would have been nice for TomTom to have given the updated App version and the map version. I assume I have the latest these are App V6.520 and Map V660.1219? However, I am sure I read in the email before I downloaded it to outlook, it was a different map version! It would also have been nice to have been able to download the update as a ZIP file so I could have stored it as a backup.

I removed all the Speed camers POI's from the Great Britian Map folder, I installed the ones from Nov 20th in the new map folder, they are now all working except for the warning voices, I had to use the data chk file for the Go300, does anyone know how long it will take for a new data Chk file to arrive?

If anyone is thinking of updating the maps then go for it, you should have no problems now we have TomTom Home, it is very easy to do.

Bob. Smile
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
Well at least we already know what is, and isnt, in them.

Does anyone know if they require 6.x software, or will work with 5.x (I'm on 5.4 something with a 300 and not keen to upgrade as it all works at the moment!

Hi M8,

I updated my TomTom GO300 tonight and all went well no problems at all, speed cameras working ok, just need a new data chk file for the voices.

GO for it!

Bob.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, you might find that people aren't rushing to create new data.chk files now that there is the better/easier .ogg files method.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. We only do the new data.chk file nowadays if someone actually asks us per mail. Hasn't happened much recently, and we are not at all disappointed about that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Bolty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Question on new maps: Reply with quote

1: Is there any way to find out whether certain roads/roundabouts have been added without downloading the update first?

2: Have they fixed the POI problem where the petrol stations appear on the map 100 yards away from where they actually are? (TomTom Go)

3: The WE map is now the seamless map rather than the package of individual countries/regions?

Thanks.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The only way is to ask someone who has the update.

2) Some have, some haven't (in my area).

3) As a download, I believe so, but if you get the DVD (no discount) then you get the lot, I think.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
DennisN wrote:

I'm dead sick about losing my Favourites if anybody knows if it's possible for me to recover them (without me being genius quality!!).

Dennis, its the .cfg file in the map folder (was always called 'yourmapfoldername'.cfg, but TT confused matters by changing the name in v6.5 and above to MapSettings.cfg). Just copy it across and rename it.

Why haven't you used search, though? (the little magnifying glass icon near the top of this page).
Just type "copy favourites" in the search box, select "search for all terms" and restrict the search to just the TomTom Go/Rider/One forum. A couple of clicks and you get the last 48 times this has been asked! Laughing
Search is a Godsend, can make me look a lot cleverer than I really am!

Once again you come up trumps Andy. It never crossed my mind to try search for this one (cos' I'm not clever and I get mixed results with it). I spent a goodly time last night sorting this out - still had/have previous map on the GO700, so switched maps back, looked up all my favourites and then switched back and tried to "add favourite", "point on map" to recreate them - it was a devil of a job, but I got pretty close. Nevertheless, I think I'll try copying the .cfg file tonight when I get back from Liverpool and Leeds, because I couldn't do them all - going to point on map is hard work, especially when most were created with GPS position whilst sitting outside.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hgm wrote:
When you select Navigator 5 and Western European map on TomTom site, it says
"Installation requires you to use TomTom HOME on your computer. Click here for more information on TomTom HOME."
When you look up TomTom HOME it says not compatible with Navigator 5.
So can we use it on older devices or not? Does anyone know please?

hgm

If you select a device that is compatible with TTN6, even if you have selected TTN5 as your product, you will be told that your product will be upgraded to TTN6 (which means you can use home) and that none of your current maps will work.

The way around this is to select 'Other device' and you will then be directed to the TTN5 compatible map, meaning you won't need to use HOME to install it and all your existing maps will still work.
Bolty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim.

If anyone with the new download is willing to check some missing places for me, please let me know.

Another quick question for you guys:

The price in my TomTom Home for the WE upgrade is around £50.00

Do you know if this is the price for everyone or discounted because I purchased the last version?

Thanks again all.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask about places here. Someone will chip in, albeit not necessarily straight away.

The price is the same for all, I think. Without logging in, I was quoted €79.96 for the TTN5 WE map.
hgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
hgm wrote:
When you select Navigator 5 and Western European map on TomTom site, it says
"Installation requires you to use TomTom HOME on your computer. Click here for more information on TomTom HOME."
When you look up TomTom HOME it says not compatible with Navigator 5.
So can we use it on older devices or not? Does anyone know please?

hgm

The way around this is to select 'Other device' and you will then be directed to the TTN5 compatible map, meaning you won't need to use HOME to install it and all your existing maps will still work.

I had selected "other device" and my quote came from that. This is why I was confused.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:

If you select a device that is compatible with TTN6, even if you have selected TTN5 as your product, you will be told that your product will be upgraded to TTN6 (which means you can use home) and that none of your current maps will work.

Lol, I didn't think of that when I updated mine, I didn't fancy an "other device" so I selected the hx2490 device even though I only have a hx2410 as I figured it is the same family of Ipaq.

Well it still works on my hx2410 with the TT6 application and it got me to Stoke this morning, although my traffic service did not work as it says it was set for another device. I had to log into my TOMTOM account and reset traffic so it will hopefully work this evening.
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Bob, you might find that people aren't rushing to create new data.chk files now that there is the better/easier .ogg files method.

Hi Andy,

Please tell me more about the better/easier .ogg files, how do I go about getting/making them and any SW I need.

Thanks for the reply.

Bob.
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Correct. We only do the new data.chk file nowadays if someone actually asks us per mail. Hasn't happened much recently, and we are not at all disappointed about that.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I did not know about new data.chk files not being released as they used to be. I have not been keeping up with what is going on, I have been too busy. I also had a problem with mail from Pocket GPS World being deleted, thankfully now sorted!

Having posted my message I had a quick look around and did find the data.chk file I needed, it is on your site and is 7690_new.data.chk.

Bob.
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just paid for 2 new maps via the TomTom site, everything confirmed.

When I use TomTom Home it find no updates, logging in using the same account as I did on the website.

Any ideas?

The website shows the new maps in TomTom PLUS - Maps but tells you to download via TomTom home.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: