Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC Emulator idea for PPCs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC Emulator idea for PPCs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leaskovski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: TMC Emulator idea for PPCs Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have come up with an idea for a program for PPC devices. God knows if the idea is sound or if it could work!

Anyway, here goes...

Basically, as most navigation software is now enabled to pick up TMC, could it not be possible to emulate TMC?

The software would work by mapping to a COMs port on the device. It would then use the GPRS to obtain traffic data (from the BBC or other sites, possibly using RSS feed?). Using this data, it could then convert it into the 'TMC' format (not sure if thats possible) and then stream it to the mapped COM port.

The navigation software would then (hopefully) be able to see this data coming in from the COM port and use it in its own internal way.

So guys, does this sound feisable or do you think this wouldnt work?

Any comments are welcome. :D
leaskovski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, first things first...

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/StandardsQueryFormHandler.StandardsQueryFormHandler?scope=ALL&keyword=14819&isoNumber=&sortOrder=ISO&title=true&search_type=TEXT&search_term=14819&languageCode=en

These are the standards for TMC. SO my first job is to understand how these work.
leaskovski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel

Wiki, is good! PS, how do you edit messages in this forum?! Laughing Out Loud!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't edit messages in these forums.

However, what would using GPRS to collect the information from websites offer over and above using TMC directly? If the software supports TMC, then I would have thought the TMC hardware would be cheaper than the hardware you are suggesting...

Also, most of the online websites get their information from one of two sources, and guess what - those two sources are also the two companies who offer their data via TMC (or the websites are partners in the supply of the data via TMC).

Finally, to actually feed the data to the PDA as a TMC signal, you'll need the TMC Location table for that device, and the ability to translate the web data back into the location table. The device will also need to have the location table data loaded into it, which needs a license from the data supplier - this normally comes with the hardware, which would seem to make this a circular argument - if the consumer only gets the location data with the hardware, then why would they want to not use the hardware....?
leaskovski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i see. I didnt really understood how tmc worked. I was sugesting an idea that did not require hardware and thus a free solution (apart from the gprs cost).

Do you have to use a TMC table for that country? Ie Does navigation software have these tables for all the different countries?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leaskovski wrote:
Do you have to use a TMC table for that country?
This is achieved in one of two ways. Either each supplier has their own location table (as in the UK), or there is a single common location table for the country.
Quote:
Ie Does navigation software have these tables for all the different countries?
Yes they do.
leaskovski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

I don't suppose you can explain how it all works then? Embarassed

Do these country tables only work in the country they are designed for? Are coordinates passed in the TMC message which is then used to makr up an area of traffic, or is that what the country table is used for?

Laughing Out Loud, i know f all about TMC. Its quite embarrising.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sat nav software are you running on the PPC?

It isn't that hard to download the TPEG data from the BBC and convert it into waypoints which can be shown on your sat nav unit. Updating the incidents on the fly is more of a challenge, but possible.

From what I understand, TMC traffic alerts are in clear text but the location of the incident is scrambled and has to be determined using a lookup table which you pay a licence fee to use. Can anyone confim this?

So, in theory, if you could get a licence (ahem) to use the TMC location table then you could convert the BBC's TPEG feed into TMC locations using the lookup table and feed it into your sat nav which could be an interesting hack.

I've seen a suggestion that some sat nav units convert the TMC data into NMEA strings similar to what the GPS receiver generates so you could inject them this way.
leaskovski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use iGo/MioMap software. I was thinking that the kit could use one of the freely available country tables. Thats why i was wondering if a country table was locked to a region, otherwise you could use a free country table across several regions.

Can you tell i am making it up as i go along?

I remember seeing something with Tomtom that basically allowed POI to be shown on a map, but then you couldnt utilise TomToms rerouting, so it a PITA having to plug all the manual avoids into the software.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leaskovski wrote:
Do these country tables only work in the country they are designed for?
Yes - in some cases only with the data supplier they are designed for.
Quote:
Are coordinates passed in the TMC message which is then used to makr up an area of traffic, or is that what the country table is used for?
No, co-ordinates are not passed. The TMC message will be encoded to say something like ID:10 to ID:11, traffic type: 2, delay: 4 and then the location table and the software would convert that into the 2 road junctions, the type of traffic (eg accident, roadworks) and the delay (low/medium/high, 0-5mins/5-10mins/don't even bother, etc.)
Quote:
i know f all about TMC.
I suggest you read the websites you've provided links for then, they provide a lot of the information Smile - much more than they show is only available if you join the TMC forum, and many many thousands of pounds a year Sad .
leaskovski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so the location table is bascially used to reference junctions on roads.

Okay, well that puts pay to this idea then. Shame Sad Could have been a good peice of kit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: