Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best Option for TMC with Mio P550 Pocket PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Option for TMC with Mio P550 Pocket PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_mioman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Best Option for TMC with Mio P550 Pocket PC Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry, Newbie question!

I have a Mio P550 pocket PC, Windows mobile device currently running TomTom 5.2. Although this is a great PDA & good software I really need TMC (drive Portsmouth to Reading every day).
I am unsure of the best way to go about it. I think (not sure) that the TT5.2 cannot do TMC - is this right? If correct I need new software - What?MioMap 3.2?
Also does anyone have any advise on TMC arials to fit a P550? Mio own brand? or other?

I don't mind spending £100 quid or so but want to be sure that any additional purchases are garunteed results!!! Any help would be much appreciated

Regards,

Paul H.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all you would need to sort out the hardware...

If the Mio has a built in FM RDS radio, then you just need an aerial.

Chances are, though, it doesn't, so you would need a FM RDS radio that plugs into the Mio. There are very few on the market, so unless you are lucky with it being a Mio and sharing the same socket and electronics as the Mio PNDs, you are out of luck here.

Then the software needs to support it. TomTom do not support RDS-TMC on their PDA software at all, so you would need to move to other software which is a) compatible with your PDA, and b) compatible with the radio (if available).

You don't say whether you use a Bluetooth GPS aerial, or a wired one - again, you may need to replace this with a combined GPS/TMC unit depending on the software you buy.

With no knowledge of your particular PDA, I would suggest you could spend in the region of £300 on hardware and software and still find it doesn't work - £300 gets you into the territory for buying a PND with TMC supported out of the box...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: