Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Received TT Navigator 6 US/Canada Yesterday
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Received TT Navigator 6 US/Canada Yesterday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Received TT Navigator 6 US/Canada Yesterday Reply with quote

TT Nav 6 US/Canada arrived yesterday as promised. The product is beautifully packaged letting one know it is a class act before it leaves the box. Installation is done through TomTom HOME a graphical interface that shows you what is installed on your PPC and what isn’t. The maps can be installed directly to a memory card which is much faster. You could do that before but the new process is much more intuitive. The entire US/Canada map takes 1.3 GB. With 4gb cards well under $100.00 that is no longer a problem. Finally, TT Nav has seamless coast-to-coast navigation. I installed just the western region to make look-ups faster. You can install multiple maps allowing you to use a compact one locally and switch to a larger one for road trips. Major roads is still there. The app itself installs to Program Files in Main Memory but I dragged the whole folder to the SD Card and it loads and works fine. It found my old itn files and moved them. HOME sees my old user POI categories but I had to drag them to the current map directory to use. I need to investigate this more as they may now be uaseable across maps and haven't migrated them correctly.

Activation is tedious as before but came offf without glitches. The entire UI is richer as the color depth is larger than before. You can nav directly to Outlook contacts from within TT through a dedicated button. It finds your address book automatically. It also has a nav to a Buddy list and to Lat/Lon.

The app loads and is ready to use much faster than before. My custom tomtom.mnu file still works but you can’t use the new buttons as the commands are published or I just can’t find them. It connected to my GPSlim 236 through GPSGate without problem.

I’ll take it on a road trip today to see what, if any, improvements lay beneath its pretty face.

Almost forgot. I am running it on an iPAQ 4355 and bought it at MobilePlanet/Semsons.

My only gripe so far is that it still does not read out altitude. I live in the Sierras and that is a nice to have feature.
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Correction Reply with quote

I bought it at MobilePlanet/EXPANSYS not Semsons.
chilimost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please post a link to the product page you ordered from? I can't seem to find a link for v6 (software only on DVD) on their website...nor on the TomTom website (the link is there, but there is no BUY button)

so close.... Smile

Thanks
Mystery
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for an altitude read out try GPS Speed Sentry which can be found here : http://www.tchartdev.com/
A small and inexpensive programme that does quite a lot of useful things like log distances and times BUT also has the capability of having an altitude readout too. As you are using GPS Gate you can use it in tandem with TT6.
Hope this helps

schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: GPS Speed Sentry Reply with quote

I already have it and GPS Dash. I probably use GPS Dash more as it can use maps.

I would like to have altitude without toggling apps.
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: MobilePlanet TT Nav 6 Link Reply with quote

I ordered here but the link still shows pre-order:

http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=142050
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Took Nav 6 for a drive Reply with quote

So far:

The maps seem very up to date. I think they are Qtr 1, 2006. We have a new freeway spur here that has been open less than six months. Nav 6 has it.

If you have custom schemes, you need to drag them into the \Navigator\Schemes\ directory and custom voices must be dragged to the \Navigator\Voice\ directory.

The D-Pad now navigates icons and pages and the Select button functions when you are in the Menu or Preferences pages. The Left button toggles pages and the Right toggles through the Icons. Up/Down toggle through the Icons.

There is a new desired ETA choice that will then tell you in different colors if you are ahead or behind schedule. Sounds like it reaally would not have a clue, so I disabled it.

Lat/Lon of the Cursor is displayed on the Browse Map page. The Find button finds Home, Address, Recent, POI, GPS Position Lat/Lon, and Contact.

Nav to POI now adds preliminary choices of Near You, Near Home, and In City. Saves scrolling through pages of POIs if at your destination.

Lat/Lon and Contacts can now be saved as Favorites. Favorites are limited to about fifty.

The user created POI Categories limit has beem raised but I don't know if or what the number is.

Very misleading and a bummer. Puerto Rico, Guam, and Hawaii are on the CD and will install but will not activate. The TT web site now says they are not included. You can not purchase them on the web site so I am clueless as to how to activate them.

TT Nav 5 (be sure to change the name of its directory so you don't overwright it) will run with TT 6 installed so you can still use your old maps.

For me, TT Home just doesn't work well. I can make it install maps but I cannot remove them. It does not do a good job reading what is and is not installed. For example, it still shows maps on my SD Card that I manually deleted.

My iPAQ 4355 Keyboard still has some functionality. P=Preferences, Del=Sound toggle, Enter=Select, M=Menu, C=Day/Night toggle, Space=Repeat Last Instruction, Tab=3D/2D toggle, Win=Today.

The DVD has Cab files for a manual install. No matter where Nav installs you can drag the the Navigator directory to a memeory card and it still works. Have it your way.
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: More NEW Features Reply with quote

Keyboard choices of ABCD, QWERTY, or AZERTY and Large or Small.

Satellite Imagery. When you Zoom Out while on Map Page it converts to a Satellite Image with Major Roads overlaid.
solara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@schneid

Thanks for the preview. When installing maps, can you install for individual states or does it only allow certain regions? Or is it only one big contiguous map of the whole continental U.S.? And what are the map versions?
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Have It Your Way Reply with quote

You can install single states, groups of adjoining states, regions, or all of the US and Canada. For example, I have installed CA & NV, Western US, and US and Canada, and Major Roads. My thinking is when I'm home just loading CA & NV will improve performance especially for searches. If you have room install the Sat Imagery too.

Unless I am missing something, there is no facility to install everything to your Hard Drive. You need to use the DVD to add maps and features. I not too excited about TT Home. To me, it is slow and clumsy but does the job.

Maps are TeleAtlas 2006.1. For my area, they more up to date than Streets 2007 and iGuidance 3.01 both with NavTeq maps.
superseagulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was disapointed with the full usa/canada map choice.
Using the home app, the map of North (1.3gig) America is greyed out and says unsuitable for my device. (pda wm5).
So I installed the usa and canada map (830 mb ish) but the map is older than the separate states maps, and a few poi categories are missing including 'shops'.
Any hacks to get the big north america map to work? I'm sure that will include all the updated separate state maps and the full poi options.
thankx
superseagulls
formerly Brighton UK,
now Hillsboro Oregon
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Yay! You have my problem. Reply with quote

I been struggling with TT support for two days over this. I first noticed it when I could install but not activate Puerto Rico, Alaska, Guam, or Hawaii. TT Support says that's impossible as all my codes or good. I also also have the "grayed out" North America issue. TT Support says that means my SD Card isn't big enough although I use a 4gb one with plenty of space. The also blamed on the fact I had a TT 5 Puerto Rico map installed which is baloney.

There final solution was for me to do a hard reset and reinstall TT 6. Since i had a good backup I did it and installed just TT 6 Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, and CA_NV on 1 1gb card. None of them would activate except CA_NV. North America was still "grrayed out". I tried again with a 2gb and had the same problem.

I called TT back and they are totally stumped other than they still think it's my fault even though they know I am using the right codes as CA_NV was activated just by trying to activate the others. They said they wanted to take the rest of the week off and would get back to me Monday.

Get this. They said the would not replace the product unless I bought it directly from them even though it is obviously has a bug. They told me I had take it up with Mobile Planet.

PLEASE SEE IF OTHER DEVICES HAVE THE PROBLEM. Try to load Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii, and/or Guam and see if they will ACTIVATE. Also, check to see if your North America map is "grayed out". TT says it shouldn't be if you have a card with 1.3 gb free space. PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS HERE.

If you have the same issue, call TT at 866-486-6866 and tell 'em yoou have the same issue as the guy they tortured Tuesday and Wednesday. Refer them to my Reference Number 061122001374 that has been bumped up to the higher levels. I think the DVD is just plain defective but I can't convince them of that.

I think the DVD's they are shipping only support the 48 contiguous staes and Canada despite them saying Alaska, Puerto Rico, Guam, and Hawaii are included. I think that explains why North America is "grayed out" as it is not included.

Also, don't use their online email support facility. It goes to a black hole and they never respond.
Silav101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would help if you posted the map version of your Puerto Rico maps. Product codes are valid only for a specific range of map versions (i.e. a v6.5 product code will not activate a v5.62 map, etc...).

Map version can be found either by double-clicking the map in TomTom HOME, or by opening the .pna file in the map folder in a text editor.
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get the PR map version number as it will not activate. It is whatever version that is on the Navigator 6 US/Canada DVD. My CA_NV that does activate is ver. 660.1193. My app version is 6.010(7720).
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read as well as I should have the info from the PNA file is:

ID=Puerto_Rico.pna
build=1193
id=53912

My new theory is that TT has put the SD Card version of Nav 6 on DVD rather than the full version. North America, which includes Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, and Alaska, takes 1.3 gb and won't fit. I think they burned a hobbled product to the DVD.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: