Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Full postcode not working (have read *all* other posts!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Full postcode not working (have read *all* other posts!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Full postcode not working (have read *all* other posts!) Reply with quote

Apropos my earlier post (Home location not remembered) I seem to have jumped the gun with my assertion that full p/c searching was working. I hadn't actually tested that it worked. I simply saw the ZIP folder had been created and assumed all would be OK.

Anyway, I d/l the Great_BritainPostal_All.ZIP and ran Setup.EXE. Selected the SD card as the target. The ZIP folder is created on teh card but there's no .VER file! What's odd is that the INI file used by Setup doesn't mention a .VER file:

[CEAppManager]
Version = 1.0
Component = Map
; toolchain version 557
[Map]
Description=zip
CabFiles =Great_Britainpostal.cab
[FileNames]
File000=setup.dat
File001=Great_Britain.Postal

The Setup.dat file mentioned is nowhere to be found on teh device.

The other .Ver files on the device look to be in INI/INF format so, can anyone tell me how to recreate this file and if indeed it is required? My guess is that the 'ID' entry needs to be the same as the map name and the version, er, the map version number (how do I find that out?)

Elsewhere here I saw suggestions that switching maps fixes this but a) I only have the 'Western_Europe' map and b) I am remote from my DVD (and will be for some time). Could *this* be the root of my problem, in that the map and p/c file need to be matched? If so, from where do I get a Western_Europe p/c file? How about if I just edited the .VER with the Western_Europe name?
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't edit my own posts?!?!? I meant to add this is TT6 on an iPaq 1940 with 1Gb SD card
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, copying in a mocked-up .VER failed. I tried both 'Western_Europe' and 'Great_Britainpostal' for the 'ID' entry. Should I have reset between each attempt? I'm thinking more and more that I need to get the map to match the p/c file...
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing...
Elsewhere, someone asserts that the empty TomTom folder on the SD card isn't required for TT6. However, I was just about to delete that folder (I'd tried to fix the problem some weeks ago by creating it) but noticed that since running the Great_Britainpostal setup.exe it had gained a file called '_do_not_remove.txt', whose contents warn:

DO NOT REMOVE THIS FOLDER

so I haven't Smile
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Full postcode not working (have read *all* other posts!) Reply with quote

VBScab wrote:
The ZIP folder is created on teh card but there's no .VER file!
There's no .VER File in my Zip Folder either.

Just -
Great_Britain.Postal - 9,834KB
setup.dat - 1KB

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have SETUP.DAT, either. It's not present on my device at all (as far as I can see, anyway)
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I do now? Can SETUP.DAT be extracted from the CAB file? Whose format is the CAB file in? Explorer doesn't seem to want to open them. Would it make a difference if I did extract it? Help!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think setup.dat is necessary for the Postcodes to work.

The CAB File should be easily opened with Winzip, or similar. If you have XP you should be able to Right Click and Select Extract.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(sigh) Managed to extract the file but it's made no difference. I do cycle power adter changes but ought I to have soft reset at any point during my file copying/deleting?

Can somebody please help me? I *really* don't want to go through the nuisance of uninstalling and re-installing because I confidently predict that THAT will make no difference whatsoever.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you are finding is one of the reasons that TT V6 is not listed as compatible with your model of Ipac, some of the features don't work correctly. From what I can read from your posts, you have everything in the correct directories. When I installed my TT6 from the DVD it installed TomTom Home first, then found my XDA II as a Device PH10B Pocket PC, on installing it gave me the option of installing to the pocket pc, hard drive or card reader. As I already had a SD card 256MB in the XDA with TT V3 on it I had already inserted a new 2 Gig SD card in the reader. I installed the TT software and the map of western Europe onto the SD card. When i put the new 2 gig card into the XDA II TT installed itself on the XDA II overwriting the original V3 and everything worked including the postcode.
If I go to navigate to, Addresses, postcode, It brings up a screen with a box at the top to enter the postcode and below that a list of postcodes starting with AB101AF UpperKirkgate. If I enter PO141EH in the top box the list changes as each character is entered until it it comes up with Fairfield Avenue which i know is the correct postcode for that road.
On the SD Card the path is \Storage Card\Zip\Great_Britain.Postal & Great_Britainpostal.ver and similar for the Netherlands. Having said all that my XDA II is not listed as compatible either but every thing works.
If it was me i would do a hard reset and start again also clearing everything off the SD Card.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
If it was me i would do a hard reset and start again also clearing everything off the SD Card.
(sigh) Exactly what I was hoping to avoid. I think what I might do is use another card (which should arrive tomorrow) and see what happens. Thank you, all those who've responded, I appreciate it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: