Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Home location not remembered
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Home location not remembered
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Home location not remembered Reply with quote

I have TT6 on a 1Gb SD card in an iPaq 1940. I have fixed the full postcode thing (BTW, for those remote from their CD, the ZIP is available here http://www.tomtom.com/updates/great_britainpostal_all.zip) but I have to reset 'Home' every time I switch on, which is a pain. I presume I've missed something when copying over to my SD card, but what?
Rybren
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to check, you'd probably see that your favourites aren't being saved either. I would guess that one of two things is wrong with your setup:

1. Your card is set to read-only (check the slider on the side) or

2. Your map.cfg file is set to read-only. In this case, look in your map folder for the config file (should be named the same as the folder with a .cfg extension) Copy this file to your hard-drive and unclick the read-only attribute. Copy the file back to the map folder.

cheers
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...What a shame that £150 worth of software is unable to TELL me this kind of thing.
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rybren wrote:
If you were to check, you'd probably see that your favourites aren't being saved either. I would guess that one of two things is wrong with your setup:

1. Your card is set to read-only (check the slider on the side) or

2. Your map.cfg file is set to read-only. In this case, look in your map folder for the config file (should be named the same as the folder with a .cfg extension) Copy this file to your hard-drive and unclick the read-only attribute. Copy the file back to the map folder.

cheers
Spot on, except for one thing. The file was called MapSettings.CFG. I have my spped camera warning sounds saved now, too. Many thanks.
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Further help please Reply with quote

Hello. I have a similar problem no favourites being saved etc. Being I am a complete novice an chance of stage by stage instructions please?
Thank you
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Further help please Reply with quote

chajun wrote:
Hello. I have a similar problem no favourites being saved etc. Being I am a complete novice an chance of stage by stage instructions please?
Thank you
I presume you're familiar with using ActiveSync? If not, I apologise, but I don't have the time for a tutorial in that regard. If so:

- Find a drive on your PC with enough space to copy the contents of your SD card onto
- Create a folder on that drive. Call it PDABack or something
- Connect with your PDA
- Click on 'Explore'
- Browse to your SD card
- Copy the contents to the SD card to the folder you created.
- Once copied, run a command prompt and change to the folder you created:
- Click 'Start/Run'
- Type 'CMD' then press ENTER
- Type the drive letter containing the folder you created, followed by a colon then press ENTER. For example, if it was drive D:, you would type 'D:' then press ENTER
- Type 'CD PDABack then press ENTER. Substitute the name you used for the folder if it wasn't PDABack
- Type 'ATTRIB -R *.* /S' and wait until the drive prompt is displayed
- Type 'EXIT' then press ENTER

- Now copy the contents BACK to the SD card.
- Restart your PDA. Not strictly necessary but it won't hurt.
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

hanks will give it a go
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: T Reply with quote

missed off the "T"
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. However being an absolute novice/fool I need a bit of futher guidance please. Sorry to be a pest folks.

Have copied the contents of the storage card to drive designated "C" and called the folder (tomtomback) THIS BIT UNSURE OF=( Once copied, run a command prompt and change to the folder you created)

- Click 'Start/Run=DONE THIS!
- Type 'CMD' then press ENTER=DONE THIS!

NOT SURE ABOUT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING HAVE TYPED IN C:tomtomback NOTHING HAPPENS!
- Type the drive letter containing the folder you created, followed by a colon then press ENTER. For example, if it was drive D:, you would type 'D:' then press ENTER
- Type 'CD PDABack then press ENTER. Substitute the name you used for the folder if it wasn't PDABack

- Now copy the contents BACK to the SD card.
- Restart your PDA. Not strictly necessary but it won't hurt.
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. At the prompt you're looking at (probably C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]):

- Type 'C:', press ENTER
- Type 'CD \TOMTOMBACK', press ENTER

- Now copy the contents of C:\TomTomBack to the SD card.
- Restart your PDA.
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

typed the comands as you displayed no file to be found and the 'ATTRIB -R *.* /S' does not produce any files etc
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Get Resco File Explorer Reply with quote

and you can do all this by just clicking on your PPC. It also has a recycle bin, a registry editor, and will allow your PPC to share files on other devices. Taking this to the extreme, I have an ASUS WL-HDD Wireless 2.5" Hard Drive enclosure with a 40gb drive mounted. My iPAQ, after Resco sets up the sharing, has access to this drive just as the Storage Card. When I am on the road I have an iPAQ with a 40gb hard Drive on line allowing tons of music, movies, and maps while on the road.
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chajun wrote:
typed the comands as you displayed no file to be found and the 'ATTRIB -R *.* /S' does not produce any files etc

The reason your PDA can't store your settings, favourites, etc is most likely because the settings file has what's called an attribute set such that it is set to be read-only i.e. it cannot be written to. Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom decided not to include functionality in the PDA's OS native File Manager to allow you to change file attributes so files have to be copied to a PC, changed there and copied back.

The ATTRIB... command adds or removes attributes from files, attributes like Hidden, Read-Only, etc. It doesn't create files. Have you copied the contents of the SD card to the TomTomBack folder? If you go back to my original post and follow the instructions, you'll be set.
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Success at last have the favourites working Reply with quote

Success at last have the favourites working. Next question how do I enable the speed cams/ speed limit warnings.
Thaks for the help.
VBScab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Success at last have the favourites working Reply with quote

chajun wrote:
Success at last have the favourites working. Next question how do I enable the speed cams/ speed limit warnings.
Thaks for the help.
I presume you've installed the speed camera database? If you have, the cams are now "registered" as Points Of Interest so you need to select those from the menu in the usual way. Forgive me, but I don't have my PDA in front of me, or I'd tell you exactly which route through the menus you need to follow. The manual will help you, of course. It's available on-line somewhere on tomtom.com , IIRC.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: