Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Number of POIs on an I3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Number of POIs on an I3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceepan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Number of POIs on an I3 Reply with quote

I got my I3 last week and am really pleased with it. The only issue that I have is that when I try to load a number of Points Of Interests I am told that there is not enough space on the GPS to store all Points Of Interest.

I have only managed to load the Speed Camera locations. When I also try to load some of the other POI's I get the problem. The files don't look that big, and I wouldn't have thought that the TransFlash card was that close to the 256MB limit (I don't have a card reader to check though).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the transflash card versions (ie maps stored on TF card) can hold a LOT of poi's - at present i have over 60,000 (about 6mb)

the newer models without the card (ie maps stored on internal emory) can only hold about 20,000 unless you buy a seperate transflash card. in which case you need to use a card reader to install poi's to it as the i3 will not act as a card reader.

MaFt
ceepan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why when I try to load the the POI's am I getting the error message? I ghave copied the files for both the Speed Camera location and the POI's that I want to load to one directory and then point the POI loader software at it.
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceepan wrote:
So why when I try to load the the POI's am I getting the error message? I ghave copied the files for both the Speed Camera location and the POI's that I want to load to one directory and then point the POI loader software at it.

You say you have a 256 transflash card,was this supplied with the unit or did you but it as an extra. If it was the latter you will need to load the POI onto the card via card reader rather than the i3 itself. If the card came with the unit and the maps are stored on the card than there should be at least 70mb spare .

I hope this helps!
ceepan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The card was supplied with the unit. I have been connecting the I3 to the PC using the USB cable. When I do this the POI Loader software launches. I then select the directory where the POI files are located and try to load. For each POI file I have the oprion to select warnings, although the only ones that I can do anything with are the speed cameras.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beerbellybill999 wrote:
You say you have a 256 transflash card,was this supplied with the unit or did you but it as an extra. If it was the latter you will need to load the POI onto the card via card reader rather than the i3 itself. If the card came with the unit and the maps are stored on the card than there should be at least 70mb spare.

Just a thought
As he says he only purchased his i3 last week is it possible that he has City Select NT v9 mapping, this maybe is occupying more space on the card leaving precious little room for POIs?

ceepan, if you go settings - map - mapsource in the menus what does that tell you about the mapping?
ceepan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mapsource is V8, Firmware is 3.10.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be worth investing in a card reader and sd-convertor and taking a look to make sure there's no extra rubbish on the card. was it bought brand new or 2nd hand? and does it work if you take out the TF card? it could be one with internal memory that happened to have a TF card with it...

MaFt
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceepan wrote:
The card was supplied with the unit. I have been connecting the I3 to the PC using the USB cable. When I do this the POI Loader software launches. I then select the directory where the POI files are located and try to load. For each POI file I have the oprion to select warnings, although the only ones that I can do anything with are the speed cameras.
As the other already said, you'd need a CARD READER to upload your POIs onto the card as this can not be done through the i3 itself.
paulyoung666
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got a card adaptor for about £5 , slipped the micro sd card in it and dropped MaFt's poi database onto it within 5 minutes , easy peasy :D :D :D :D
westfield_dave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceepan,

I had exactly the same error as yourself when trying to download the speed camera POI's to my recently purchased I3 (same firmware, maps etc.)
The way that I have managed to overcome this issue is to purchase a micro sd card reader (as previous posts had suggested) and store the POI's on that.
The part that I had trouble with understanding was how to get the POI's onto the card.
How I managed it was to put the micro sd card in the reader and connect this to my pc instead of the I3, and then run the Garmin POI downloading package - which will then recognise the card and allow you to write the POI data to it.
I have now increased my POI count from original 11,000 to over 30,000

Hope this helps.
ceepan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Do you have a recommendation for a card reader. If so where online stocks it?

Cheers,
Paul
Ricardo-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Errors.... Reply with quote

Im having a similar problem. I have bought myself an I3 which had a 256mb card included. I can load the speed cameras on via the supplied USB (have no card reader) but am then only able to download a few of the other POI's i want.

Also, and to my thinking a little more annoying. I have had the unit three days but now when i turn it on it says "MAP UPDATE NOTICE - The following map data is more than a year old and should be updated" I then have a chance to remind later (which is the next time i turn it on) or tell me more.

I have software version 3.2 and mapsource City Navigator Europe NT v9 which i thought was the latest....how can this be out of date? Please help!!
westfield_dave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Do an ebay search for 'RD-03'.

My reader (bought off ebay from Lancatech Shop UK) arrived the next working day after paypal payment - can't ask for much more than that!

Ricardo, the card reader method seems to be the only way to get more POI's on your I3 - certainly with v8 maps anyhow. Suggest you contact Garmin or whoever you bought your I3 from about the map update error, as it is clearly not 'fit for purpose' at the moment.
ceepan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look on E-Bay and see that the card reader will only handle Micro SD cards. I have a Micro SD to SD card converter. I was considerig buying a card reader that handles multiple formats, including SD as a means of getting images from the card for my Digital Camera. Will a card reader like this (coupled with the card in the converter) allow me to update POIs?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: