Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 3 Bug - Roundabouts in 3.0.25 missing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 3 Bug - Roundabouts in 3.0.25 missing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Destinator 3 Bug - Roundabouts in 3.0.25 missing Reply with quote

I have spoken with PowerLOC this afternoon and there is a problem with 3.0.25. Version 3.0.25 does include better routing (to overcome the problem we experienced in our review) and new features and a slightly enhanced GUI, but I do have clarification that there are problems with roundabout support. This problem means that prior to 3.0.25 although text on screen showed "Roundabout" and you would be given correct directional turns on the roundabout, and voice would announce "continue driving around the circle, second exit", this has been broken in 3.0.25.

PowerLOC say they do have a fix that is being tested internally and hopefully the patch will be available shortly once it's been fully regression tested. I am going to also do some testing for PowerLOC in this area, so fire any questions you have at me and I'll do some testing as soon as I receive the patch.

Last edited by Dave on Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken with PowerLOC, and although they believe this is a map problem which they are trying to rectify, I have carried out some extensive testing between versions and I can confirm that the problem IS WITH version 3.0.25 and have notified PowerLOC of this.

Take a look at the screenshot below to see the different. The top screenshots are from 3.0.4 (as we reviewed it), and the bottom screenshots from 3.0.25. Spot the difference, it looks like PowerLOC have by accident left out the roundabout code in 3.0.25, either by going back to an earlier source code and adding modifications to make it 3.0.25, or it just hasn't been included modularly in 3.0.25.

For a larger image with more detail click below
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/frontnews/d3roundabouts-large.jpg

I am awaiting information back from PowerLOC regarding this, but it would seem that it should be a quick/easy fix rather than having to re-issue all the maps for the UK (like as some of you may recall TomTom had to do with TTN2).
siwatkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Excellent - as a result of your help, I'll hang on to Destinator rather than return it. The fact that for any of the comparable alternatives, I'd have to pay considerably more for full European maps, puts me off buying them!

If they can sort out the Roundabout issue, sort out the weird routing that still exists in 3.025 and resolve any stability issues, it will be a good product. Perhaps this will be a caution to them to invest more in testing before release next time!.

Cheers,

Simon
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think it's worth the wait, but it depends on how quick the fix will be and whether it does fix both roundabouts and routing problems.

I get a lot of email from people saying that they love Destinator 1 and 2 but have chosen to go with another product because of having to switch maps all the time, they usually find routing and searching for place names spot on, and I think if PowerLOC can overcome these problems Destinator 3 will be good, certainly my experience on 3.0.4 is pretty good.
peteh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

thanks very much for your all your help, lets hope they get a fix out soon. If they can sort out the couple of problems it will be a fine product.

Pete
Oscar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks
I installed Destinator 3 Europe on my Ipaq today and the version off the disk is 3.0.0.9. This version also talks about going around the circle in place of roundabout.

The patch currently available for download at the Destinator site is 3.0.0.25. since this patch appears to be bug ridden I its best to wait for the next patch.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if the version you have isn't buggy at present I'd hold off installing 3.0.25. It will cause roundabout support to be completely lost.

I am testing a complete set of new UK maps and 3.0.31 which appears to have better routing and doesn't cause the problem as documented in the review, but roundabout support is still lost.
siwatkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Yes, if the version you have isn't buggy at present I'd hold off installing 3.0.25. It will cause roundabout support to be completely lost.

I am testing a complete set of new UK maps and 3.0.31 which appears to have better routing and doesn't cause the problem as documented in the review, but roundabout support is still lost.

Dave, from what you've said, it would appear that Destinator are going to need to re-issue the Uk maps?

Hoping they can resolve the roundabouts issue soon, as it's a nightmare as it is currently.

Simon
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too sure, I'm trying to find this out from PowerLOC. They are improving the maps and I don't know if the routing features at present are fixed by using a later program, or the map.
siwatkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I'm not too sure, I'm trying to find this out from PowerLOC. They are improving the maps and I don't know if the routing features at present are fixed by using a later program, or the map.

Dave, ok - thanks. I'm hoping that the "quickest" routing algorithm is sorted out to remove it's extreme tendency to take you down back alleys off of main roads. It's almost as if it is ignoring any kind of routing algorithm "cost" weighting and placing to much emphasis on unnamed or minor roads, even when set explicitly to "Quickest" route. And then having found that route, even if you ignore it, it's rerouting persists in trying to route you back on its original routing decision for too long.

Have found another bug today: Got (something like this) Unknown_VoiceCmd: Fourth Distance. It was a coded "exception" in a message box, thus it looks like there is a subroutine/method that has been omitted from the code.

Simon
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can clarify that routing is much better in the newer version I am testing, still waiting for clarification though if it's the program or maps that have fixed this. Although I am seeing a U-turn option for about a mile after I leave my destination and take the "wrong route" suggested by Desitnator 3, after this Destinator 3 is more spot on with what I'd expect to see with CoPilot Live, TomTom Navigator 2, Navman SmartST Pro and Destinator 2.
siwatkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Any news or updates about the Roundabout and other issues with the current release of Destinator? I had a reponse from them saying my comments had been forwarded to their QA and Developer teams, but nothing to indicate that they are working on the issues.

I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from them that these fundamental issues with the product that prevent it from being usable in the UK (as a routing or voice nav program) are being addressed anytime soon.

The optimist in me hopes that they've been beavering away behind the scenes, and are thus too busy to mention the fundamental roundabout flaw in the FAQ at their website. Have you heard anything from them at all that can give us hope that we haven't been sold a ball of chalk?

Simon
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, routing is much better with the version and map I am testing. I am now checking a more thorough London map. I still haven't had any reply yet, I haven't had a roundabout fixed version yet to test, which suggests that it probably isn't available yet. As soon as I have some info on this I'll let you all know.

Currently testing both versions in-car at the same time.

I will check tonight with PowerLOC and see if a version is ready to be tested. To add roundabout support back in to Destinator 3 really should only need a new program and not maps. However for more accurate routing maps I believe will be required.
siwatkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave - you should be on Destinator's support payroll Smile

Appreciate your input and for acting as an intermediary - I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Simon
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo your thoughts - a shame powerloc so very rarely respond to emails. Thanks again to Dave for his work so far.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: