Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Amplified car aerial splitter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Amplified car aerial splitter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for a splitter as my aerial is not amplified. I just wired it directly to the aerial. See my earlier post.
paulweustink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Alsone1Are you sure you actually got an amplifier though?
quote]

Thanks for the tip! I've found a real amplifier for < € 10,- at the Conrad webshop:
Click Here

Long URL Truncated - PaulB2005
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonny wrote:
No need for a splitter as my aerial is not amplified. I just wired it directly to the aerial. See my earlier post.

You are actually making your own DIY splitter Wink
Whilst it will work in most situations the BEST you can achieve by direct connection to a shared aerial connection is 1/2 received power into each of the radio and TMC receiver. (This is the same for a bought passive splitter and the homebrew type described above). Lower received power will adversely affect reception at the margins of the transmitter range. This will be noticed by increased interference and signal loss where you used to be able to get a signal. Given the low power of TMC transmissions here in the UK, you may want to consider an in-line amp.

However connecting to an external aerial should always be better than using the internal bootlace aerial supplied with many of the TMC devices out there.
Miles_hot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when using the splitters from Cartft do these plug into the Garmin unit or onto the end of the shoe lace provided by Garmin? I suspect the latter in which case I will need to add a headphone socket to the end of the shoe lace to plug into (I assume!) however I thought I'd check!

Many thanks

Miles
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to put a connector on the end of the Garmin wire aerial (which is the best approach IMHO) use a BNC style plug and socket, these type of connectors are far better suited to RF work, you can get a matching plug an socket from Maplins for less than the price of a pint - Mike
Miles_hot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you are going to put a connector on the end of the Garmin wire aerial (which is the best approach IMHO) use a BNC style plug and socket, these type of connectors are far better suited to RF work, you can get a matching plug an socket from Maplins for less than the price of a pint - Mike

So I remove the cpnnector from the end of the Splitter and put onthe female BNC and then put the male on the end of the shoelace?

(and repeat for any other car I want to use)!

Miles
PS With the connector in place on the end of the shoe lace does the shoe lace still work (as well as it ever did anyway)?
PPS Should the connector go on the very end of the shoe lace or should I trim as much of it off as possible (if so ignore the fist PS!)?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the aerial wire the same length as it is part of a tuned circuit, the length being a critical part of the tuned circuit. Adding a connector to the end won't make too much difference, and adding an external feed aerial to it will incease signal reception far beyond the original bit of shoelace.
The BNC connector just makes a nice easy way to remove the unit and transplant the receiver between cars - Mike
Miles_hot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Leave the aerial wire the same length as it is part of a tuned circuit, the length being a critical part of the tuned circuit. Adding a connector to the end won't make too much difference, and adding an external feed aerial to it will incease signal reception far beyond the original bit of shoelace.
The BNC connector just makes a nice easy way to remove the unit and transplant the receiver between cars - Mike

Cool thanks for the calrity.

Just nipped over to Mapins (BNC connectors) and am now a little confused by the 8 BNC style connections available! I am totally new to all this and have the following questions if you don't mind!:
1) what impedance do I need 50 or 75 ohms?
2) is there a male and female connector in this equation as these don't appear to be sold together however I can't see / tell the difference between the 8 connectors
3) given than I don't think that I've got any crimpers in the garage which is the best way of making a connection
4) these seem to be suited to COAX cable (stip off the outer seath etc) how do these connect to the paltry wire that makes up the shoe string?

Thanks for all your help!

Miles[/url]
Miles_hot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Mike

Why is the shoe lace lenght inportant when it is connected into the aerial? To my ignorant mind by connecting the shoe lace to the car system am I not massivly increasing the "lenght" of the thing anyway? If I was able to chop the shoe lace it would make the installation a lot neater however if this impacts the reception there is little point!

Many thanks in advance

Miles
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When connected to the external aerial the length of the shoe string has no bearing at all, however if you want to use the RDS receiver in a different vehicle without the aerial attached the shoe string aerial length does have a significant bearing on reception.

I use hire cars on a regular basis via work, and Hertz don't like mag mounts attached to the cars, doing this also takes up valuable time before setting out - Mike
Miles_hot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
When connected to the external aerial the length of the shoe string has no bearing at all, however if you want to use the RDS receiver in a different vehicle without the aerial attached the shoe string aerial length does have a significant bearing on reception.

I use hire cars on a regular basis via work, and Hertz don't like mag mounts attached to the cars, doing this also takes up valuable time before setting out - Mike

True - I will be modifying the two family cars and it would be useful to make the installation as tidy as possible however for when I want to use the system in another car could I retain the cut off section of shoe lace and put anouther connector on the end of it - thus having a tidy installtion at home and a show lace with a connector in the middle of it for away days?

Thanks

Miles
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do what you describe but for each connector in line the signal will degrade by a small percentage, give it a try and see what happens, you could always solder the wire back on if you find performance degrades too much - Mike
marshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Go 520 and TMC mod Reply with quote

Hi

I downloaded and installed tomtom app 8.010 and now I need to get my tmc aerial modified.

My car is an old (97) (P) motor and as such has the very old type aerial connection. I hope to get an adapter with a female aerial and a plastic covered wire that i can attach to my tmc with one of those lumps of plastic with 2 screw connections.

I hope I have explained it ok

should it make for a better signal

I am a complete novice at this and any help would be appreciated

Thanks
marshall

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: