Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC Subscription
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC Subscription
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: TMC Subscription Reply with quote

Hi
Looking to get another GPS. Friends have a 269, I like the feature where you can select the type of vehicle that the GPS is in i.e. lorry etc. the latest models look the business but with the problems with TMC, I am a bit concerned.
I owned a new Vauxhall Vectra a few years ago & for the first year you had free Trafic Master, afterwards you had to subscribe, to it if you wanted to continue with this service.
I believe that the TMC that is used by Mio is similar to this system.
My question is can you subscribe to the Mio system in the UK & France. If so how much, who and where, do you contact, to do so.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DRP

Don't know about the 269 but all I can tell you from experience is that the Mio C710 has TMC installed and it works.
The licence fee to use it is included in the purchase price of the unit so you never have to pay a fee again.
Lots of people experiencing problems with the TMC add on on the C510.
So save yourself the trouble and go for a C710 :D .
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Perhaps I did not make it clear I am looking at the C710. Our friends unit is a 2 year old 269 model. Perhaps I’m a bit confused with the issue of TMC.
On the c710, does the TMC work in the UK and France as the Mio web site states that it dose not. That’s why I posted the original string.
Also has it the option to set up routing as for a lorry like the 269. As I tow a caravan, I do not want to be routed up some lane with grass growing in the middle. As featured in the national press, especially in France.
Regards
DRP

ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP wrote:
Hi
Perhaps I did not make it clear I am looking at the C710. Our friends unit is a 2 year old 269 model. Perhaps I’m a bit confused with the issue of TMC.
On the c710, does the TMC work in the UK and France as the Mio web site states that it dose not. That’s why I posted the original string.
Also has it the option to set up routing as for a lorry like the 269. As I tow a caravan, I do not want to be routed up some lane with grass growing in the middle. As featured in the national press, especially in France.
Regards
DRP

Have not used the TMC feature in France but can confirm that the regarding the C710 the Mio site is 100% wrong. The TMC/C710 will operate in the UK using data supplied via FM radio. No subscription necessary - not sure if this will be indefinate but currently you get the licence with the unit.

The C710 has the functionality to set the route calculation for:

Foot, Bicycle, Car, Taxi, Bus, Lorry and Emergency. personally I have only used the settings for car. The manual states that some road types will be excluded from the routes based on the setting. But as usual, with the Mio documentation, it is not as comprehensive as users would like/expect.

The manual can be downloaded from the Mio site - go for the MioMap version 3.2 to get the latest.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP wrote:
Hi
Regards
DRP

Yes, the TMC works extremely well in the UK. Can't speak for France.
You can set the routing for different types of vehicle, from lorry down to pedestrian.

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC Subscription Reply with quote

DRP wrote:
Hi
Looking to get another GPS. Friends have a 269, I like the feature where you can select the type of vehicle that the GPS is in i.e. lorry etc. the latest models look the business but with the problems with TMC, I am a bit concerned.
I owned a new Vauxhall Vectra a few years ago & for the first year you had free Trafic Master, afterwards you had to subscribe, to it if you wanted to continue with this service.
I believe that the TMC that is used by Mio is similar to this system.
My question is can you subscribe to the Mio system in the UK & France. If so how much, who and where, do you contact, to do so.
Regards
DRP

TMC does seem to work in the UK with the C710 but the TMC information isn't as comprehensive as it seems to be with some other services (the dedicated AA units warn of details such as roadworks and so on).

People also say that the TMC licence is included in the purchase price of the c710 but I would be careful on this point. Mio has previously been very clear that subscription TMC is not currently supported in the UK.

So people seem to say that the TMC licence cost is included in the purchase price on the basic of their own logical argument - the UK TMC services are subscription/pay only, c710 TMC works in the UK therefore the unit must include a TMC subscription. It's compelling logic but it isn't what the manufacturer of the unit has said! Either way you look at it it's worrying - either you accept that the manufacturer doesn't know an important and basic detail about their product or you accept that TMC is working as a result of some other quirk that isn't fully documented or understood yet. Either way it's also possible that the situation won't last for the life of the unit.

It's more confusing than at least one poster seems to be prepared to accept.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: TMC Subscription Reply with quote

Retty wrote:

Hi Retty.

I'm not confused Confused .
I bought it, it works. Job done. :D
I can't for the life of me see how Mio are ever going to stop it working on my unit.
This would need intervention from TrafficMaster.
The original advertisements for the C710 back in April/May 2006 clearly stated that TMC was available with no extra fees to pay.
If it ever did change, mine (and many others I suspect) would be going back due to not being sold 'as advertised'.

CeeJay.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,
There is so much mention in this forum that the TMC version used by Mio is traffic master which has got me confused. I have looked at the Mio website and think it uses ITMC which uses Classic FM.
Rolling Eyes

I have attached the urls fot the ITCM site which was linked from the Mio site by clicking the TMC logos.

http://www.navigatiehosting.nl/TMC/tmczenderframelinks.htm

then click Engeland (that is how its spelt on the website) then click ITMC and you'll end up here

http://itisholdings.co.uk/itmc.asp
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:
All,
There is so much mention in this forum that the TMC version used by Mio is traffic master which has got me confused. I have looked at the Mio website and think it uses ITMC which uses Classic FM.

I am confused too - but only about why there is so much controversy about the TMC.

Anyone with a C710 has only to go to the TMC Control Centre screen which shows which station is being received. I am near London and at the moment mine says:
Capital Radio (95.8 MHz)
Capital Radio - Text Capital 83958 - Phone Us 0871 22 22 958
TMC present

Capital Radio is part of the Trafficmaster transmission network.
It also pauses on Classic FM but then continues to scan without reading the TMC data.

The link to ITIS has always been on the Mio site but is dated 01.04.06 which is before Mio were selling these units. I prefer to believe the evidence of my own eyes.

I have been using my C710 for over four months now and the TMC has always been very useful - particularly when driving into London because Trafficmaster are tied up with Transport for London and get information from all their cameras. I don't know whether the TMC licence will last for the life of the unit or expire after a year as has been speculated. If it does expire then I will happily buy a new licence next year because that won't put me in any worse position that the other units that do have an annual licence.

I'm beginning to get bored with all this discussion.

Sal
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for your replies.
If anyone out there has used a c710 with TMC in France I would be very grateful for any input to this topic.
As you can see, my current unit is an old Navman iCN510. Cannot have position of a camera when working, so Navpix is out of the question.
I like our friends 269 because of the many variables you can select (lorry) etc.
My deciding factor is Price & TMC, I can go for a basic Navman n20, and pay extra for a TMC module & the thing should work, after sorting out the reception issues it has.
Or purchase a c710 and hope that TMC will work in France either with or without subscription.
Any comments please
Regards
DRP

ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sallyann"]
DeeJay01 wrote:

Sal

Sal,

I too am bored with the whole TMC discussion, however, the confusion generated by the poor quality information available would appear to be the main issue.

I dont know the process to get a sticky topic raised but would suggest that this might be a good way forward so that we can point newbies to this topic rather than having this continued discussion.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
DeeJay01 wrote:
All,

I am confused too - but only about why there is so much controversy about the TMC.

Anyone with a C710 has only to go to the TMC Control Centre screen which shows which station is being received. I am near London and at the moment mine says:
Capital Radio (95.8 MHz)
Capital Radio - Text Capital 83958 - Phone Us 0871 22 22 958
TMC present

Capital Radio is part of the Trafficmaster transmission network.
It also pauses on Classic FM but then continues to scan without reading the TMC data.

The link to ITIS has always been on the Mio site but is dated 01.04.06 which is before Mio were selling these units. I prefer to believe the evidence of my own eyes.

I have been using my C710 for over four months now and the TMC has always been very useful - particularly when driving into London because Trafficmaster are tied up with Transport for London and get information from all their cameras. I don't know whether the TMC licence will last for the life of the unit or expire after a year as has been speculated. If it does expire then I will happily buy a new licence next year because that won't put me in any worse position that the other units that do have an annual licence.

Sal

How could you, if need be, buy a new licence when the facility to buy one is not currently available?

There is a genuine problem connected with the lack of information provided by Mio and this issue rather than a desire to create boredom causing threads is the problem.
mugwump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: TMC Subscription Reply with quote

Retty wrote:

TMC does seem to work in the UK with the C710 but the TMC information isn't as comprehensive as it seems to be with some other services (the dedicated AA units warn of details such as roadworks and so on).

Just my 2p.

Have often seen roadworks, accidents and road closures in the c710 in addition to just traffic queues.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP wrote:

If anyone out there has used a c710 with TMC in France I would be very grateful for any input to this topic.

Try asking in the French forum here:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=73

Sal
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC Subscription Reply with quote

DRP wrote:

Could it be that the writers of the software (PDAMill?) also wrote the TMC add-on? If that is the case maybe it's them we should be contacting for clarification - they must have researched availability and licensing of the TMC technology in the UK and elsewhere in Europe.

Perhaps there is a communication problem between the software writers and Mio here?

Peasemold

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: