Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic - any better now?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic - any better now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

On the other hand I have been using traffic for about a month and not once has it given anything close to accurate information.

Many time I have been in the middle of what TT said was a 40 min delay driving at 70 and just as many I have sat stationery nose to tail with TT saying no delays..

For me its been pants
b0br0ck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Tom Tom TMC Aerial Reply with quote

I've been using tom tom for a few years now, and took the free trial for traffic info. It did give all the traffic info in all the usual spots when i tried it, so no major complaints there; but the problem i found was that i couldn't use the handsfree bluetooth head set on my phone at the same time as tomtom using my phone for traffic information - so i basically couldn't recieve calls, no good for me...

So when the new tomtom one v3 with tmc/rds reciever came out i thought it would be the answer for me and rushed to the shops and brought one...

Sadly gaining a signal is very temperamental, it can take around 10-15mins before it picks up a signal and downloads all the relevant information, which usually the time (for me anyway) that i'm on the motorway and sitting in the jams.

They have the fast fix (or whatever its called) to get a signal on your tomtom device which is very good, but they need the same for the rds aerial, i can't understand why the didn't create either a magnetic external aerial that you just pop on the top of your vehicle to get a good signal, or build something better that works inside your car.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TTT for my commute from Surrey to Hertfordshire (round the east side of London) and it probably saves me 2 hours a week!

It does however consistently ignore some hold-ups that are there every day and reports every day some which are never there. Having said that, if I see something out of the ordinary it is usually quite reliable.

The last thig I would say is that it is very good at telling you there is a problem but rubbish at accurately estimating the delay time because it could assume that you will be travelling at 6mph for an entire 10 mile stretch giving a delay of 1 hour when the problem may drop you to 20mph for a mile or two with a real delay time of only 5 minutes.

Take your chances, but I like it!
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
metradio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:
... I would say is that it is very good at telling you there is a problem but rubbish at accurately estimating the delay time ...

I have to agree with that..
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that TT have done a deal with Vodafone to use anonymous mobile phone movement data to accurately measure the travelling time between two network cells and then interpret this into road speeds. I'm not sure how advanced this is though...

It seems the biggest limitation of TTT is the assumption that the travelling speed in any reported delay will be 6 mph over the entire reported distance. Maybe this new technology will address that and give us a genuinely useful service.
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true but it is being trialed in Holland I believe..
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
Just to let you know a bit about my traffic.

Until last week i used traffic via a mobile phone.
Most of the time the information was out of date.

Last week i bought the RDS TMC receiver for my 520 (Comets).
So far it has been spot on and bang upto date with the info.

You May all like to help log your receiver performance on this google map site setup by Lee from the Yournav.com forum,
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid=112793069392354139079.00043c33a5c0109356f6e&z=10&mid=1197910690

Best wishes
Kev

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: