Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Review Comments: Talking to TomTom Navigator via Perl
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Review Comments: Talking to TomTom Navigator via Perl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captaincaveman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich, I really appreciate your patience in all this! I've definitely got the sevices and hosts files in the 'perl58m\unix\etc' directory, and as before I'm not getting the 'cannot open...' error anymore, but it's still not making an ftp connection. I do notice that the little symbol that represents data flow flashes up very briefly on my mobile phone when the connection attempt is made. I have installed no firewall on my pda (WM2005), and I can use PIE to browse the web no problems over a gprs connection (side note: I've just thought that I can also test it when my pda is on my WLAN at home, I'll do that tonight).

One thing I noticed though is that if I try to go to my ftp site in PIE simply by typing in the ftp address, it displays a page saying that no anonymous logins are allowed. I actually have to enter the adress in the form 'username:password@ftpaddress'. I notice that the Perl script tries to open the ftp connection first and then enter the username and password seperately. So I'm starting to think it's a specific FTP issue, is there any way of opening an ftp session in PERL with all the details in one connection string?

I'll be able to confirm if this is the problem tonight during my test on my WLAN as I'll just set up my home pc as an ftp server with minimum security and work from there.

Thanks for your help!
captaincaveman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh additionally, I added the line '127.0.0.1 Localhost' into my empty Hosts file, as I have seen lots of PCs with that entry in them...don't know if that's making a difference or not!
rich_d_thomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi captaincaveman,

We need to look into why you're having these FTP problems, so I've cut out the FTP functionality and written a script called "ftplite.pl".

I'm just going to email this to you.

Then, populate you FTP server address, username, password and directory name.

If you could copy it into your scripts folder and run it, there should be a load of debug appearing on the screen, please could you copy that and post it here.

It saves having to wait 10 minutes at a time and does not need TomTom to produce the result files.

Could you also install PERL in any Windows machines you have access to and run the same ftplite.pl test on that.

If you could do this test with as many different combinations (E.G. different types of internet connectivity from your PDA and different types of internet connectivity from a Windows PC)

Thanks,

Richard.
captaincaveman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I've replied to your email.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty neat.

I did a similar thing once, sent back various route & journey info to a back-end app via the SMS interface on one of our tracking units.

How about sending back your lat/lon/heading/speed (well, maybe not speed - how about moving/stationary) and using Google Maps or similar to plot your position?

Should be very easy to do.
rich_d_thomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nej,

I agree about sending the position and having that show on a map remotely.

I know what needs doing, I haven't done anything about it yet.

The main reason being that TomTom Buddies seems to do the same thing.

Trouble is that I don't have a version of TomTom that includes Buddies yet, so I don't know how much duplication there would be if I did as you suggested.

Richard.
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an exciting topice; thanks to Richard and Lutz. If only I understood Klingon as that's what it souds like to me ;)
BrainShutdown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

I´m developing an .NETCF WM5 application to use TT6 with our fleet managment GPS system using FileInterface directly. Everything was going just fine until I used ShowCoordinatesOnMapV01 with negative longitude (west). The result answer is allways error.

I´m certainly doing some dumb thing and hope someone can help me on this.

Request:
SDK.TomTomNavigationServer.1.1.message

ShowCoordinatesOnMapV01|-875594|4137561|\0x00

Answer:
TomTomNavigationServer.SDK.1.1.message

-4|\0x00

In the other hand if I use positive (east) longitude all ok

Request:
SDK.TomTomNavigationServer.1.1.message

ShowCoordinatesOnMapV01|875594|4137561|\0x00

Answer:
TomTomNavigationServer.SDK.1.1.message

0|\0x00

So far I´ve used other functions sucessfully

GetApplicationVersionV01
BringNavigatorToForegroundV01
StopApplicationV01
GetCurrentPositionV01
SwitchToNavigatorViewV01
EnableExternalGPSInputV01

Thanks in advance

Nuno
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the World of TomTom Navigator 6. All API calls involving coordinates are broken in the v6 application .

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
BrainShutdown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not my fault then :D

I´ve managed to put my hands on TTN 5.21 and everything worked fine.

Anybody knows if this is going to be fixed somewhere in the near future?
Or if there is some workaround?

Thanks again

Nuno
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrainShutdown wrote:

Or if there is some workaround?

Destinator 6 SDK :-)
A1Dox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Nearly got it working... Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

rich_d_thomas wrote:
Hi captaincaveman,

We need to look into why you're having these FTP problems, so I've cut out the FTP functionality and written a script called "ftplite.pl".

After spending a four hour drive back up the country texting/calling home with ETA updates I decided it was time to steal all your hard work and automate the process. I want my wife to be able to surf to the website where the script is ftp'ing the webfile and know how far from home I am (hmm, note to self, might not want to have the script running *all* the time ;-) ). Ideally, I'd like to extend it to be able to have her get a google map view with where I am (hmm... Danger Will Robinson!!) and have the estimated journey time in the popup bubble. But that's phase two...

Anyway, it's nearly working. I get as far as producing the webfile, and trying to upload it to my website's ftp server. The perl console shows "About to put file" and then six Net::FTP... lines before spitting out "select: Unimplemented system" and then quits with Exitcode 255. I don't know if there is more to the error message because it hits the side of the screen. When it gets this far, if I check the ftp site, there's a zero byte webfile.txt in the right directory, but with (obviously if it's 0 bytes long) nothing in it.

Can you offer any guidance? I've installed everything in \SD Card\perl58m rather than your SD Card\PDA\perl58m, but have just put the SD card in a reader and used Windows search to see if there were any lines I'd missed with your path in and it didn't find any Sad

I'm sure I'm pretty close...

Thanks in advance
Dox
rich_d_thomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Diagnostic Testing Reply with quote

Hi A1Dox,

Great to see others wanting to make use of this Smile

Laughing Out Loud at not wanting the script to be running all the time, hehe!!

OK, if you could copy this perl script http://www.mydatabus.com/public/starbug/ftplite.pl to your PDA and change the FTP server details and let me know what happens, that would be a great help.

I've just got myself a TomTom One now so my phase 2 is to have a play with the TomTom Buddies, maybe I can make use of that, so that home can get the same sort of information.

Let me know how you get on.

Richard.
A1Dox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnostic Testing Reply with quote

rich_d_thomas wrote:
OK, if you could copy this perl script http://www.mydatabus.com/public/starbug/ftplite.pl to your PDA and change the FTP server details and let me know what happens, that would be a great help.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks Rich, I've been away all week but have grabbed the script now. I'll have a play over the weekend (wife permitting) and post the results as soon as I can.

Dox
rich_d_thomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi A1Dox,

Thanks for posting back, let me know once you've had a chance to play.

Richard.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: