Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OS GPS Convertor 2.2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OS GPS Convertor 2.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: OS GPS Convertor 2.2 Reply with quote

This Pocket PC utility converts between coordinates and lets you navigate to a latitude & longitude or to a map grid reference in TomTom, Destinator and OziExplorer.
Version 2.2 adds/fixes a few things:
    1. Now works properly in Windows Mobile 5 - settings are saved
    2. Supports UTM grid references worldwide (except around the poles)
    3. Better integration with TomTom 5 - if you use a custom TomTom menu you can start it from that menu, and when it exits it can make TomTom display the position on its map

See here for info (apologies for scary photo of me, my young son took it and is proud of it):
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/barrydavies/index.htm
Many thanks to the people who helped test it, particularly for WM5 which I don't have.
Of course if you only want to navigate to latitude & longitude in TomTom, that feature will return in TomTom version 6.0 so you may prefer to wait for that to be released instead. Shouldn't be too much longer to wait...
strega
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry

Iposted a message perhaps in the wrong section so I will do it again here.
Apologies, I am new to this forum.

Thanks for that great little application Barry, it certainly filled the void for navigating to coordinates.

After using ver.2.1 for quite a while I decided to go for ver. 2.2 because I like the idea of having the POI displayed directly on the map.
After following your very well written instructions on your site I was happy to see that all worked well exept for the part where it is supposed to show the POI on the map. I can start the application from tomtom as described plot the coordinates.convert to tomtom POI but it keeps going to the nav screen not the map. I created the SdkFileCalls folder as instructed but it dosen't seem to serve any purpose. i.e I don't see any files in that folder. The SdkRegistry and SdkfileCalls are definitly in the correct place i.e In the Root directory TomTom folder (\TomTom).
What am I doing wrong?

I am running an ipaq hw 6515 with Windows mobile 2003 SE phone edition and TomTom 5.21.

Please help as I think this is a great little App. and would really like to use it to it's full potential.
Thanks
Reards
strega Sad Confused
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
You seem to have done everything you need to, so I'm at a bit of a loss what to suggest. Please check the following, just in case:
- In my app you have selected the Settings - TomTom menu, ticked the top box "Show position on TomTom map" and clicked OK to save that setting?
- The position you're entering definitely is within range of the map you have loaded in TomTom? (Although I've just tried a Southern hemisphere position way off my Europe map and it still works, just plotting the bottom edge of my map which is presumably as near as it can get.)
- You're absolutely certain you're creating subfolders in the \TomTom folder in the root of the device, not the \tomtom folder under \My Documents?
- TomTom is running when you use my app? It will only try to show the position on the map if TomTom is already running, which it tests for by looking for an open window called "TomTom Navigator". If you run something like iTask you can check what the TomTom window is called on your device - it needs to be exactly this string with the space between TomTom and Navigator

After running my app to create the POI, and as long as TomTom is also running when you do so, the following two files should exist in the \TomTom\SDKFileCalls folder:
TomTomNavigationServer.OSGPS.1.1.message
TomTomNavigationServer.OSGPS.1.1.finished

If none of that helps, please let me know exactly what you're inputting as your position - all the drop-down list settings and exactly what you're typing into the text boxes, and I'll try to replicate the problem.

Best wishes
strega
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Barry!
Thanks for answering so quickly, much appreciated.
I have just gone through the process of checking the settings all over again and I can say that they all look ok. The list as they appear follows.

OS Gps Convertor Coordinate entry screen.
Grid:--------British National Grid
Format:-----3:WGS84 - D.D
Lat: S 37.000000
Long: E 141.000000
(These coordinates are on the Victoria and South Australian Border.)

OS Gps Convertor Settings'
Tomtom settings
Show position on tomtom map is ticked.
POI/Map Folder-------\SD Card\Australia-Map
ITN File Format-------- TomTom 5
ITN Folder--------------\SD-Card\itn

The two folders:SdkRegistry and SdkFileCalls are definetly in the TomTom folder in the root directory of my device,
i.e. My device\TomTom\SdkRegistry
SdkFileCalls.
I Believe these folders are in the correct location because otherwise I would not see my new TomTom.mnu or the relavent .cap file calling up
OS Gps Convertor while tomtom is running.

Unfortunately I don't have itask to check what the tomtom window is called, however I did check in running programs on my device while tomtom is running. I did expect to see tomtom navigator but instead
what I did see was GPS Navigation. I don't know if this means anuthing to you Barry. Perhaps this could have something to do with the problem. If it does, hopefully there is some way to rectify it,

Once again definitely no files created in the SdkFileCalls Folder.

Hope this helps you to help me Barry.

Thanks for your patience.
Regards
strega Confused
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
It does sound as if TomTom may be running with a different window name for some reason.
I've done a test version of my program that doesn't check if "TomTom Navigator" is running before it creates the files that tell TomTom to show the POI position on the map.
I hope this version will work for you. Its behaviour will also be different in that if you aren't running TomTom when you create the POI, then the next time you start TomTom it will immediately attempt to show the POI position on its map.
You can download the test version from here:
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/barrydavies/osgps_test.htm
Follow the guidance on the page, and please let me know how you get on.
Best wishes
strega
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Barry.

Thank you very much for your efforts in helping me get your little application working as it should. You will be happy to know that your efforts were not in vain.

It now works!!! After the point of interest is created and converted it then goes to the normal navigation screen and a few seconds later shows the point of interest on the map. I assume this is the way it is meant to be, although on the illustration on your website it seems to have been instant.
But who's complaining?
As for the point you make about tomtom going straight to the map when opened if OS gps convertor is run before tomtom is running, this is a good thing. I prefer it that way.

I don't know why my version of tomtom navigator runs under a different screen name. Perhaps it's the Australian version 5.21 which was bundelled with the ipaq hw6515. Never the less, it works and I once again thank you for your efforts. Very nice of you indeed.

Keep up the good work with future developments, but don't forget people like myself with little subtle differences in our software.

Regards
Strega :D :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: