Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPAq Wireless Connection HELP PLEASE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPAq Wireless Connection HELP PLEASE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daleholden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: iPAq Wireless Connection HELP PLEASE Reply with quote

HI

I have A PC connected to my cable modem with a NIC card i also have a Linksys Router wireless BEfW114S which i use with my laptop for a wireless connection
Ihave now got a H5550 iPaq which i am using the wireless connection.

How do i see my network from my PDa or how do i see my Ipaq from my main PC what is the best way to set it up.

In normal english please not major techie words please.

Cheers Dale

Twisted Evil
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale,

you may want to try post your question in a general Pocket PC forum. This forum here deals with GPS related questions only, we have no expertise with WLAN setups.

Having said that you need to make sure your PocketPC is set to the same SSID and encryption parameters as your Linksys router. Make sure the Linksys is set to 802.11b since the iPAQ doesn't understand the G stuff that the Linksys folks are bragging about.

Once you set that you can use the file explorer on your iPAQ to find your PC, and vice versa.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: A few basic guidelines for Wi-Fi under Pocket PC 2003 Reply with quote

I'd echo Lutz's recommendation to go somewhere more specific for detailed questions about Wi-Fi.

However, here's a brief guide.

For add-on hardware, you need hardware for which there is suitable drivers. Many Pocket PC 2002 drivers do not work under Pocket PC 2003 - though this obviously isn't an issue for devices like an iPAQ 5550 with integrated Wi-Fi.

There are no known products that support 802.11a or 802.11g on Pocket PCs - for now it's 802.11b only. 802.11g products should interwork with 802.11b, though you may have to disable the 802.11g features.

The "Zero Configuration" client in Pocket PC 2003 doesn't work well with SSID broadcasts disabled - it's pretty much the same story for the "Zero Configuration" client in Windows XP, actually. Turning SSID broadcasts off helps increase security on a wireless network, but doesn't help that much against modern sniffing tools.

Enter WEP keys in Pocket PC 2003 using hex mode only - alphanumeric encoding differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. Do use WEP though!

In most cases where an Access Point is in use, it's simply a case of turning on Wi-Fi, and following the prompts.

Getting both ActiveSync / networks shares and Internet access to work over the same connection is similar to in Pocket PC 2002 - tell the network card to connect to Work, have both the settings in Connection Manager as "My Work Network" (iPAQ users who use a Bluetooth phone may want both as "Bluetooth Settings"), and, on the set that relates to Work settings, press the Edit button, and select the "This network connects to the Internet" option on the Proxy Settings tab - leaving the rest blank.

WPA support isn't available on Pocket PC 2003 yet.

Whilst these comments are, by necessity, terse, this should get things going for everything including Wireless ActiveSync in the case where a user has a wireless router like the Linksys the original poster mentioned.

Using the MAC filtering functions on wireless access points and routers is a good idea - I believe the MAC address of a 5550 can be found in Asset Viewer (which you find via Start Menu -> Settings).

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: