Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Updates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
symes51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Map Updates Reply with quote

Hello.

I have an original TomTom ONE and like everyone else I am sure, I have noted a few mapping inconsistencies. The TomTom website advertises map updates but it doesn't say which version it is selling.

I am aware mapping info is supplied by teleatlas and things take time to be incorporated into the maps supplied by TomTom.

My question is, how do I find out if there is a map update available from the version I currently have and is the only way to update my maps to buy a new SD card from TomTom?

Thanks for your help
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GO 700, but probably the same applies to you as to me (and many others). To the best of my knowledge, there have been no map updates for maybe 18 months.
Six months ago, the Tom Tom website was forecasting map updates in the second quarter of 2006. When the second quarter expired, they changed the forecast to Third Quarter. Now that the third quarter has expired, they have changed to "soon". If you have not already done so, register on their website for their newsletter and who knows, you may get an e-mail telling you when the updates become available. Otherwise watch this website for comments.
I imagine you'll find the only way of getting map updates is from Tom Tom - no third parties.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Map Updates Reply with quote

symes51 wrote:
Hello.

I have an original TomTom ONE and like everyone else I am sure, I have noted a few mapping inconsistencies. The TomTom website advertises map updates but it doesn't say which version it is selling.

I am aware mapping info is supplied by teleatlas and things take time to be incorporated into the maps supplied by TomTom.

My question is, how do I find out if there is a map update available from the version I currently have and is the only way to update my maps to buy a new SD card from TomTom?

Thanks for your help

Actually, TT website is not selling updates but accessory maps, so to expand your map collection with extra regions. With that in mind it does not really matter what version is sold, as you don't have a previous map of that region yet.
The ONE has relatively new maps included out of the box, I believe even same version as what is currently sold on the TT website. So I wouldn't bother about updates yet.
When the real updates are coming, TomTom has promised to include map versions.
If you don't want to wait for that, you can purchase the new SD or DVD from TomTom (but for full price)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you realise you aren't alone, symes51; it does drive everybody else mad too that TomTom REFUSE to publish version numbers of the maps they sell.
Many people have emailed them to remind them that it is impossible to tell if you are buying exactly the same version as you have already, but they are always fobbed off with meaningless (and often, frankly insulting) replies.
Colinsp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread prompts a question. I have a 700 with the V6.06 maps. I live in Spain and these maps are woefully out of date (at least 5 if not 8 years). Are the v6.5 maps updated or will this be the later release that is being talked about in this thread?

TIA
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 700 has Western_Europe-Map v606.0 and it let me down seriously in Italy last month (Milan area has loads of new road build). I bought it in May this year and still await the long overdue map updates.
From looking at other threads on this site, I believe there are different map version numbers current, depending on what map you have and what model TT you have - in other words, for two models, the same map would have different version numbers. So if someone says they have map version 615, it may simply be another model's map, not a more up to date map.
We've given up trying to get sense out of Tom Tom.
For map updates, see Tom Tom support pages - How can I update my maps.
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Lid=1
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough, it's VERY difficult to get a sensible answer from TomTom as to when the new maps will be released. "Soon" is all I, and others are being told.
in the case of the DOWNLOADABLE UK map data, the version number is unspecified, so you don't know which version you'd be downloading.
However, the W European maps (on SD) DO show the version number, only when you have gone through to the order section, and review your order. It then states v6.50, but it does NOT show this on the "advert" for the map.
How difficult is it for them to append the product name, with the version number? Dohhhh.

TomTom SORT IT OUT! Embarassed
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Western Europe map on SD is version 6.50 and is intended for upgrading to additional coverage (NOT updating) for GO 300 and 500.
BUT does that ACTUALLY mean that my Western Europe map v606.0, which came on my 700's hard disk, is less up to date and I'd be getting a newer version if I bought the SD and ported it across to my hard disk?? From what I've read "here", that is most unlikely.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Western Europe map on the 1GB Sd card is not a straight replacement for the 700 map. It's smaller - it does not include Poland and Czech Republic.

Bigger numbers don't necessarily mean later maps. They are just version numbers, not necesarily sequential.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be pedantic, but isn't the Czech Republic, and Poland EASTERN Europe??

Embarassed
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you draw the north/south dividing line I suppose. But if you drew it to exclude Czech Republic and Poland, you'd pretty much have to exclude Austria and Denmark too!
Thanks for the comment though - I've just checked with MS Autoroute to find that they include Czech Republic and Slovakia. Whilst doing so I discovered by joyful chance that MS Autoroute also includes a pretty comprehensive streetmap of Athens. Not that it helps much for the rest of Greece, but it may signal a move in the right direction!
But to revert to the original thread - I would suggest that Symes51 sits tight and waits for the next set of map updates, which will not pass unnoticed on this website! As previously stated, they'll become available "soon" (but don't hold me responsible for TomTom's current delivery forecast!!).
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 700 map (v568) has a street map of Athens too Wink It hangs on the end of a single road that runs from Vienna, via Skopje....
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well strewth, so has mine (map v606.0 - nah nah na nah nah!!, but still out of date, of course).
Thanks again. Course, I REALLY wanted Corfu, but I'll make do without - if ONLY TT would update us all.
joedavid0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm registered with TomTom and they offered me a TomTom Home computer programme, when conected to this it said I needed an update to version 6xx. I did this now the programme reports no updates available, so I assume I have the latest maps as offered on thier web site.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's only referring to updates to the TT software, which are free, not the maps, which are not free.
You download (or purchase on sundry media) maps from the TT website, BUT DON'T DO IT right now as new maps are due "soon" and you won't know if what you buy today is any better than what you've got.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: