Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - route 66 mobile versus tom tom 5 mobile ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

route 66 mobile versus tom tom 5 mobile ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jono400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: route 66 mobile versus tom tom 5 mobile ?? Reply with quote

Okay folks, as a very happy tom tom 5 mobile software user just wonder how this route 66 compares to it ?? anyone having used both systmns advise ??

like the speed camera listings that can be added to tom tom 5 which I believe cannot be added on route 66 ?? ( 2005 )

having viewed the route 66 website must admit that the mapping colours / layout look very smart and posibly more easier to read than the tom tom ones ??!!

lastly !! is there much differnce between the 2005 version and the latest 2006 version off route 66 ??

anyone advise ??
cheers
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a play with uiq version. looks like traffic information works, but on major roads.

i liked the instruction much better then tomtom 5

there is no way to import speed cameras database.

the calculation and rerouting i believe is slower.

the interface is not as good as tomtom for searching addresses, for example if i want to find oxford st, and just put oxford st, it will tell me all of the city, so in order to minimize the search i would have to say oxford st, london.

also if i made a typo it just says not found.

i much prefer the tomtom way as it filters the list as it goes.

Route 66 Instructions are excellent.

i really want to try navicore but none of my friends have it.
funkyronster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: no comparison Reply with quote

I just spent the day testing both. The maps are a bit better on 66 but TT is so much more feature rich. I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping TT. It passes the test of intuition - started using it straight away - no manuals!!
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you need is both im not joking tt5 is excellent but some mapping is a lot better with rt66 more updated but voices i mean voice is crap all you can do is try but i think you will like tt5 better speed cams voices user friendly what we need is tt5 with navteq mapping
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

route 66 is good product but lacks in my opinion the following:

1. on the go search - the search system is not good, doesn't allow mistakes, when finds many address cannot filter them. at least it should show first addresses within the area you are in.

2. calculations are slow

3. editable POI (so it would be possible to get safety cameras db)

4. for p910 it should be able to rotate the screen (tomtom offers this option)

5. full postcodes*

* not really essential
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to see why TomTom is alot more ££ than Route 66. Just got Mobile 7 today and less than impressed with the routing and the user interface. Selected a route for a journey today completely different to every other Satnav system, opting to use an urban B road instead of major A roads.

Also Fastest Car and Fastest Lorry make no difference to the journey times or route calculation.

Mobile 7 also doesn't seem to differentiate between a major single carriageway A road and dual carriageways, instead treating a DC as two one way A roads travelling in opposite directions. Sad

Going to give it a couple of weeks to see how it is. If it doesn't pull its socks up, it'll be on E-Bay. Even though the map data IS newer than TomTom5, I can put up with being in the middle of fields with TT5 to have the better user experience.
Dawg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone comment as to whether this comparison is still true or has route 66 been updated any? can you upload speed cameras to it yet?

im looking to buy this as tom tom doesnt work on s60v3 which is what i have
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg wrote:
can you upload speed cameras to it yet?
No the Speed Cameras will not load to the Smart Phone version of Route 66, they will only work on the Pocket PC version - Mike
Penfold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could take a look at Navicore, it uses the TT camera database (well you convert it using a free tool from there site) and it also has the gprs re-route gadget that Route66 has so best of both worlds. The only think is I haven't had a chance to try it out, I don't think it will have all the features like TT but should be just as good if not better than Route66 but then again I am not sure if Navicore has postcode option which I find rather handy
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg wrote:
can anyone comment as to whether this comparison is still true or has route 66 been updated any? can you upload speed cameras to it yet?

im looking to buy this as tom tom doesnt work on s60v3 which is what i have

Hi, have you looked at Wayfinder?
I don't know hardware your using but there is a list of compatible items on the website.

Just a thought, if you have a GPS receiver download the free 5 day trial
It's well worth it!
Regards

Ian
Dawg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh ive tried wayfinder. it doesnt work either, its a problem with the phone and gps unit communicating, the bluetooth connection drops out all the time.
also didnt like wayfinder due to the fact that i need to rely on a phone signal to navigate and also the data costs.

ive bought navicore, i think its great. ive used tom tom 5 and i prefer navicore. personal preference really as the packages have little difference, but im happy about the way navicore are actively trying to make theres compatable with the n73 whereas tom tom seem to not care
psalm23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nokia 6680 and use both TomTom mobile 5.202 and Route66.

TomTom give a better on road usage with notification earlier for the next turn, But map upgrades are costly.

Route 66 seems to be a bit slower on updating postion on screen but has better mapping.

Either is ok but i tend to use TomTom most, Especialy since I upgraded to 5.202 with full poscode search. Ebay is great for this!!!! Rolling Eyes

Sadly because i'm on 3 network can't get traffic or use wayfinder.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: