Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcams Builder for Mio Cxxx Series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcams Builder for Mio Cxxx Series
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Speedcams Builder for Mio Cxxx Series Reply with quote

The Speedcams Builder program will build a speedcams file from the PGPSW database, that can be installed into the Mio range of GPS units which use the MioMap 3 software. At the time of writing this includes the Mio C210, C250, C510 and C710.

This is the basic guide to using the Speedcams Builder, and it is all you need to get it working. If you want more information then please read through the pages of the thread. If you have a problem that is not answered there, post a question at the end.

1. Download the latest version of the Speedcams Builder program from the link at the bottom of this page, and place it into a suitable folder on your PC. It's probably best to create a new folder for it.

2. Download the PGPSW camera database. To get the correct version, go to the download page and select type "Other", then "UK-Single file with all cameras ASC".

3. From the downloaded ZIP file, extract the single file "pocketgps_uk_sc.asc" and copy it into the same folder that you put the Speedcams Builder program. If you find it easier, you can unzip all of the files into the same folder - the others will be ignored.

4. Run the Speedcams Builder program by double-clicking in Explorer, or from the Run prompt, or you might want to create a shortcut on your desktop. There is nothing else to select or operate. The program will finish very quickly, showing a note of the number of cameras imported. Close its window by pressing any key, and you will find that a new file "SpeedCams.mtc" has been created in the same folder.

5. You now have to copy SpeedCams.mtc to the correct place on your Mio device. There are two ways of accessing the Mio, either by using bluetooth (if your Mio has it) or by using a modified version of the Mio Transfer program (see notes on both methods below). Close down the MioMap program by going to the main menu and pressing the Exit key. Using your chosen copy method, navigate to the folder \miomap\miotc\pois\. Delete BOTH of the files there (if you like, copy them to your PC first). Copy the new SpeedCams.mtc file into this folder, and re-start MioMap. You will now be able to use the PGPSW cameras on your Mio.

Bluetooth. You will need to run bluetooth on your PC, using an external dongle if it is not built-in, and link it to your Mio. There are a number of helpful posts about using bluetooth later in this thread.

Transfer. The Mio Transfer program provided on your CD does not allow access to the \pois folder. However a modified version that will allow you to copy the SpeedCams file is available. Read this thread: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=47351 for details. This method is much faster than bluetooth.

MioSync. Once you have installed the PGPSW database you must NOT use the MioSync program to connect to the Mitac server. If you do so you will send the PGPSW databse to Mitac which will break your licence agreement. Also your own installation will be over-written.

Misc.
You can still add, modify or delete camera entries using the menus on your Mio.
There are a number of options available with the Speedcams Builder. They are described in the thread.
At present the program will only work for cameras located in Europe.

***edit by Sallyann***
The notes above apply to the original program which has since been updated considerably.
Read the rest of this thread for more information and amended instructions.

Download the latest version of the Speedcams Builder from here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/16265615/Speedcams_builder_215.exe

Last edited by Sallyann on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the testers:
1. Thank you for your help!
2. The link above is to an updated version.

Sal
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal

Great work! Now the obvious question...

does it work with v3.2 of Miomap? (I've not downloaded it yet, and probably won't if your conversion utility doesn't work!).

Si.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does work with 3.2! That was the reason for delay - to try it out

Don't forget, if you have used autovelox previously, you must remove the poiupdates.upd file that it created. MTC Builder creates a 'proper' speedcams file and you don't need both!

Sal
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Yes it does work with 3.2!

Sal

I can vouch for that. :D

CeeJay
Simebaby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff! :D
Swordsmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Known limitations? Reply with quote

Hi Sallyann
Thanks for your efforts on this. Are you planning making it more generic, or will you stay UK on this? Right now your program ask for the UK file, I tried to rename another asc file but then got the message "not in correct format"
Are there any known limitations we need to know about.
( Being one of those strange metric foreigners with a lot of speedcams)
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Known limitations? Reply with quote

Swordsmaker wrote:
Hi Sallyann
Thanks for your efforts on this. Are you planning making it more generic, or will you stay UK on this? Right now your program ask for the UK file, I tried to rename another asc file but then got the message "not in correct format"
Are there any known limitations we need to know about.
( Being one of those strange metric foreigners with a lot of speedcams)

Hi there Swordsmaker.
The speedcams file is very complex, with lots of coding and traps and it has taken a lot of work to decode and and create the program. I nearly gave up several times.
One of the things I found is that there is different coding for each country map, and I have not yet worked out all the differences. If you remember when you tried my speedcams file reader program it gave the wrong answers for speedcam types and speeds in Sweden. I may have another go at this and try to sort out the country codes, but I have to catch up on some other things first. So at the moment it is definitely UK only. Sorry!

Sal
Swordsmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks anyway! Reply with quote

No problem Sallyann, I and many others still appreciates all your efforts. You have done a lot already -just keep up my our good work in your own pace.

PS
I can acknowledge some of the complexity of the speedcams file.
The poiupdates.upd file I am using (based upon your previous efforts) are working !, but I have played some with it, like adding and deleting cameras.
After that I looked at the .upd file in a hex editor. Turns out that Mio does not delete any records in the file, just adds new ones, with some obscure additional information (codes) in some of the records.

This little mio beauty is a challenge!
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks anyway! Reply with quote

Swordsmaker wrote:

The poiupdates.upd file I am using (based upon your previous efforts) are working !, but I have played some with it, like adding and deleting cameras.
After that I looked at the .upd file in a hex editor. Turns out that Mio does not delete any records in the file, just adds new ones, with some obscure additional information (codes) in some of the records.

The poiupdates.upd file is the easy one. Speedcams.mtc is more complex with lots of gotcha's, so it's tempting to use the poiupdates file instead. But it wasn't designed to hold a full database. One reason why I persisted with using the speedcams.mtc file is that Mio could if they wished with any program update put a limit on the number of cameras it would read from poiupdates, so blocking imports using the velox program. They can't do that with speedcams.upd or it wouldn't read their own database.

Sal
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that a few cameras weren't being marked with their correct speed, and I have corrected this in a new version of the program.
The new version of MTC Builder is here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/35859544/mtc_builder_103.exe

Sal
Wroey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update, will post details in the morning. I used the "beta" version of SallyAnn's mtc maker, then downloaded the 3.2 update.

On an "epic" 5 hour trip from Hampshire (UK) to Yorkshire on Friday evening, cutting across country from the M40 to J15 of the M1, a got TWO FATAL ERRORS and an automatic restart. On both oocasions at the same time as a Speed Cam alert. I was able to note the precise camera on the second occasion and will give co-ords tomorrow, in case it is a rogue byte/character in the mtc file.
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your efforts Sal.

One question. If you wanted to load UK & Europe cams would you merge the two files into the "UK" one and then run your utility?
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done sal, I think that it should also be saved as a "sticky" for future reference and new C510 / 710 users.

Regards...Dil

Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wroey wrote:
Just a quick update, will post details in the morning. I used the "beta" version of SallyAnn's mtc maker, then downloaded the 3.2 update.

On an "epic" 5 hour trip from Hampshire (UK) to Yorkshire on Friday evening, cutting across country from the M40 to J15 of the M1, a got TWO FATAL ERRORS and an automatic restart. On both oocasions at the same time as a Speed Cam alert. I was able to note the precise camera on the second occasion and will give co-ords tomorrow, in case it is a rogue byte/character in the mtc file.

Thanks for the report. Let me know which camera it is and I will check it out.
In all the testing of this program, I have never got the mtc file to crash the Mio. If there is something wrong with a camera record what has always happened is that it is just ignored. The .mtc file is read and tested by the Mio when you start it up and the cameras are then stored in memory. If it is going to crash then I would expect it to happen at start-up. But obviously I need to check it out.

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: