Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - is my map download going wrong
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

is my map download going wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: is my map download going wrong Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad i decided to download latest maps to my 730t using the lmg all was going well giving me a download time of around 1 hour 20mins then disaster a power cut happened and everything went bottoms up the computer switched off, well you can imagin the scene. so withing seconds the power was back on and i turned on the pc and started the download again but now it is downloading oh so slow giving a download time of around 3 hours (2 hours remaining) does anyone know how the download works does it download to a temporary folder and the power cut has deleted this and started again, or should i abort the current download and start it again tomorrow. any advice would be most welcome. i have left it running at moment hoping someon here may know what is best to do.
thanks in advance for any replies. Evil or Very Mad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom download system is not clever enough to resume an interrupted download (though GOD ALONE knows why!).

For a Western Europe map 2 hours is pretty fast.
I've known them to take 5 hours before now.

I'd start again...
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: thanks mikeb Reply with quote

thanks for the advice i had restarted the download so will leave it running and post on here how it all goes as it may be useful to anyone who comes across this thread. normally i would not be so paranoid but although i love the functions of the tomtom i love the looks and it works wonderfully when everything is working fine but they seem so flakey compared to my older tomtom 700, but that could be that i have just been unlucky. thanks again for the advice.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
The TomTom download system is not clever enough to resume an interrupted download (though GOD ALONE knows why!).

For a Western Europe map 2 hours is pretty fast.
I've known them to take 5 hours before now.

I'd start again...

2 hours, my god. Thought mine was bad enough taking 45 minutes!

Steve
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep t downloads the map to a temp folder then installes it on your device. then it deletes the temp file.

Paul
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't delete the file on your computer, it stays in the Home downloads folder
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so presumably everything should be ok thanks for your advice i will leave the download running and install and post on here how it all end up.
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Yipeee! Reply with quote

all seems to have gone well none of the previous problems, i now have map version 805.1801 and although i have not navigated anywhere yet it seems ok with voices etc still working and nothing freezing up. i always fear for the worst and hope for the best. thanks to all who gave advice much appreciated. Laughing Smile Razz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: