Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the entire thread I knew this unit was a dead dog but today I bought one from Argos to test it for myself. Thank god for their 16 day money back guarentee. It really is crap !!
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read the last few pages of this thread and thought that I would post my own comments.

I used TT traffic for a while with no limit on the updates (I dont pay for the call costs at all) and found it to be quite woefull. Goodness knows how out of date it would be if you were to set it to 15 minute intervals.

Anyways, reading the thread, your problems with the TMC receiver are definatly not a coverage issue, it is all down to either the positioning of the antenna or the buggy software that tunes to the strongest station regardless of it transmitting TMC data or not. I use a factory fit Satnav now (also use TT1 V2 when I need access to POI's for work etc) that has TMC and the indicator is on green (recieve signal) 95% of the time in central and southern Scotland and probably about 75% of the time further north. So dont go chasing down the path of thinking you arnt in a signal area, cos you probably will be unless you live in the wilderness or the extremities of the country. I have also noted that even though the quality of classic FM on the radio is not perfect in some areas, the TMC is still getting a signal from it.

Steve
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, you need to check which RDS-TMC systems your car is using, there are two iTIS holding which TomTom and Navman use, then there is TrafficMaster which is used by Garmin for example.

The two systems use different stations to transmitt the data, so before saying the problem cannot be down to signal coverage please let us know what device/ TMC data your unit is using. Also inbuilt car TMC systems tend to have a better aerial which offers far greater performance than the "Shoe String" aerials most TMC units are supplied with - Mike
jamiepyoung
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know when the update/fix is due.

i can't get the tomtom website support to work, keeps asking for an email (already filled in).
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's latest reply to these problems copied below, my receiver was returned back to Argos, I no longer believe it is acceptable to have to wait for TT to fix products that have not been tested, at the customers expense. If, and when it works, (I don't think it will, due to signal strength) I will purchase another unit from Amazon, currently £41.50.

Dear Speedcam,

The RDS TMC receiver will lock onto the strongest FM signal, which may not be broadcasting TMC Traffic information.

Unfortunately, at this time we're unable to offer a fix for this problem.
However, we'll shortly be releasing an update that will resolve this issue.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
zebrabanana
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: No Info Availble Reply with quote

Hi,

I think I have read through all the posts, now just wondering
if anyone had any problems returning their RDS/TMC to the German amazon supplier.
I got min yesterday 4v00.000 with the 510 and so far no luck.

It says connected to RDS/TMC then in the preference pain simply says
"No Info Available" in the bottom left corner. I have selected stomges singal etc. But there is no way I can see radio stations or lists there are no options for radio station lists!!

I think I will return it.

Z
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.522 is out, definatly does something different with the TMC. Whilst tuning it shows the an egg timer type thing and its skipping frequencies very very quickly.

All fingers are crossed it makes an improvement!
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 6.522
(TomTom GO 910/710/510)

Support for the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for the USA

Hmmmm
JD71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone looked at whether you can extend the cable length of TMC-RDS unit?

A couple of comments have been made that it would work better at 9ft long, so maybe we just need an extension ...

Jon
micknelson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial experience with 6.5.22 looks promising. Instead of a dumb green circle in the traffic bar it displays an orange quadranted circle which indicates that it is scanning. It cycled through a few non TMC channels before (pausing tantalisingly) then locking onto Classic FM and getting an update!

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't have any long trips to try this out on this side of the new year but here's hoping.
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micknelson wrote:
My initial experience with 6.5.22 looks promising. Instead of a dumb green circle in the traffic bar it displays an orange quadranted circle which indicates that it is scanning. It cycled through a few non TMC channels before (pausing tantalisingly) then locking onto Classic FM and getting an update!

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't have any long trips to try this out on this side of the new year but here's hoping.

Do you have it set to strongest signal or UK?
micknelson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seems to work equally well on both. I tested it 3 times to make sure it wasn't a fluke!

After reading your question I reconnected it to the car mount to see what setting I had it on (United Kingdom) and to my amazement it locked onto Classic FM and got an update within 20 seconds.
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good then. I've just gone from Coventry to Bedworth, one junction on the M6 but didn't get an update. I did find something though (With a bit of help!) If you tap the bar where the traffic updates appear you'll see a new icon, TMC tuning. That allows you to manually add a frequency but after a few seconds it goes searching again, still - better than nothing!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastersteve wrote:
I did find something though (With a bit of help!) If you tap the bar where the traffic updates appear you'll see a new icon, TMC tuning. That allows you to manually add a frequency but after a few seconds it goes searching again, still - better than nothing!

That icon is only available if you have a route set - something to watch for. Also, you can keep telling it to look for the correct frequency; it will get there in the end....
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOHOOO!!!!! Just approaching the M6 on the A444 to come home, glances at TT910 and shock horror - GREEN LIGHT :o Got on the M6 to head down to Jnc 2 and notice the download traffic update icon. So it must work! Now was it:

A) The 6.522 update?
B) Extending the antenna wire
or
C) Touching up the dodgy joints on the PCB

that made it work?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: