Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Home location keeps disappearing TTN5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Home location keeps disappearing TTN5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Home location keeps disappearing TTN5 Reply with quote

I'm having an annoying problem after doing some spring cleaning on my ppc (WM5). Now each time I start TTN5 I have to reenter my home location and POI preferences. It's fine while I am using the app but when I close it again the preferences are somehow lost. This is a new problem. Can someone pls tell me what file the preferences are kept and it's supposed location? It would be a relatively easy task to reinstall TTN5 but I've searched all morning and haven't yet found the installation disks. Thanks for your help.

Dell Axim X51v
GlobalSat BT-359 Bluetooth Receiver
TomTom Navigator 5
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The File is the map_name.cfg and is found in the Map Folder.

Check the File Attributes, that they are not set to Read Only. If it is, copy File to PC, change attributes and then Copy back to Device to overwrite the existing File.

Try it by setting up a Home Location, switch off/on and see if it remembers this time.

Once it works OK and you have set everything up, keep a spare Copy on the SD Card in case needed in the future.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Rybren
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also.... Make sure that your SD card isn't set to read-only. I had this happen to me over the weekend - I had taken the card out and must have accidentally moved the switch. None of the new Favourites that I entered were saved. It took me numerous attempts at re-entering the Favourites to figure it out.
pbl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both I am up and running again. The offending file, in fact all the files, in the folder were set to read only. I don't know how this happened but I'm sure my fiddling was to blame. Are there any other files in the map folder that need to be written to? It seems to be working just fine, though. Thanks again for your prompt replies. This is a great forum.

Dell Axim X51v
TomTom Navigator 5
sushil74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
The File is the map_name.cfg and is found in the Map Folder.

Check the File Attributes, that they are not set to Read Only. If it is, copy File to PC, change attributes and then Copy back to Device to overwrite the existing File.

Try it by setting up a Home Location, switch off/on and see if it remembers this time.

Once it works OK and you have set everything up, keep a spare Copy on the SD Card in case needed in the future.

Hi, i am a newbie to this forum.
Let me begin by congratulating the team for running such a great forum.
I have a HP ipaq hx 2490. I recently installed tomtom6 and the maps of Great britain and western europe v6.50. The tomtom runs perfectly fine. But just that the home and favourites go off once i exit the application. I have tried entering the home location and various favourites and the end result is that i lose all the home and favourites again.
I tried to trace it to the map_name.cfg file, which you mentioned.
Could you please tell me in which part i should search for the file, is it in the device or SD card.
Also, how to know if it is a read only file
Also, how to change the attributes on the PC.
Could you please help me with these queries.
I am sorry that i am not a computer wizard to understand.
Expecting ur reply
thanks in anticipation
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sushil74 wrote:
I tried to trace it to the map_name.cfg file, which you mentioned.
Could you please tell me in which part i should search for the file, is it in the device or SD card.
In the newer Maps I believe its called MapSettings.cfg, or something similar. It will be found in the Map Folder on the Card. I haven't got the latest Maps so can't be totally certain.
sushil74 wrote:
Also, how to know if it is a read only file
Also, how to change the attributes on the PC.

The best way is to Connect to the PC. Open Window Explorer and browse the Map Folder on the Card.

Right Click the CFG File, and choose Properties. If there is a Tick in the Read Only Box, then it is ... read only.

To remove the Tick, just Click it once. Click Apply.

If the Device won't let you change the Attribute, copy the File to the PC, remove the Tick and then Copy the File back to Overwrite the original.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
pbl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a friend's system, the file name in version 6 is 'MapSettings.cfg'. It is located on the memory card under the folder name of the map being used. This is a large folder with all sorts of information including POI data.

I found the second method worked best for me. I copied (dragged and dropped) the offending file from the memory card to the desktop on my PC, right clicked and selected properties, then de-selected the 'read only' option. Finally, I copied (dragged and dropped) the file back into the correct folder on my memory card, overwriting the original read only version.

I hope you get it working. I remain perplexed as to how these files become 'read only' as if by magic.

Dell Axim X51v
TomTom Navigator 5
sushil74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
thanks very much for your help. it is done and i am able to sotre favourites and home location.
excellent forum
will spread the word for sure.
keep it up team
thanks again

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: