Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does TT6.01 Achieve more than TT5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does TT6.01 Achieve more than TT5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
realistic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Does TT6.01 Achieve more than TT5 Reply with quote

Unless I have missed something I have not seen a full reveue of this much awaited version even though moderators etal have been evaluating for a while. Also the users who have posted on this site have not really had positive or really negative comments. So apart from the bells and whistles why bother.
Mike
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only got mine today, so this is just my current impression.

Routing appears to be tweaked very slightly - still tries to take me down all the back dirt roads around Caerphilly rather than use main roads! It does say things like "Take the second left and then the third right" which I find better.

No longer supports screen rotation and my OS doesn't seem to support it natively.

Speed display has been since if you go over the speed limit the speed goes red and so practically invisible.

Ability to navigate to points of interest seems to have been improved, you can now navigate to a POI along your proposed route (unless you could do this in TT5 and I just never noticed!).

Screen display has been a bit improved and seems sharper, but the audio seems to be quieter.

There is an option to disable some menu options when you're driving for safety.

Option to ask for a particular arrival time so it can tell you when to set off. Don't see the point really since you could just calc the route and see how long it would take in any event.

Updated maps: that's the only solid reason to go for it currently, really.

To be as fair as possible, many of the updated bits and pieces (like the Buddies stuff) don't apply to me because my PDA doesn't have any wireless / GPRS capability. That may be a stronger selling point for other people.

In summary, unless you're desperate for new maps I'd stick with TT5 for now.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi realistic
You hit the nail on the head when you said ‘Why bother’. Those users who carry on using TT5 will get to their destination just the same as those who have followed the herd and brought TT6.

TT6 does have a few extra gimmicks and that’s about all.

Oh! I almost forgot, TT6 is brilliant at lightening your wallet.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Riker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi realistic
You hit the nail on the head when you said ‘Why bother’. Those users who carry on using TT5 will get to their destination just the same as those who have followed the herd and brought TT6.

TT6 does have a few extra gimmicks and that’s about all.

Oh! I almost forgot, TT6 is brilliant at lightening your wallet.

Except that it sounds like you need to be running TT6 if you want any of the new map upgrades as they will be incompatible with TT5, which makes TT6 an essential upgrade eventually (unless you continue to use maps which get older every year).
vimes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT6 maps whilst updated over those of 5.x are still not as up to date as those used by Destinator 6 in their Q1 2006 maps. At least that is my experience of using them where I drive in the UK. I was amazed when I first tried TT6 to find how outdated they were, being used to using Destinator.
vimes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT6 maps whilst updated over those of 5.x are still not as up to date as those used by Destinator 6 in their Q1 2006 maps. At least that is my experience of using them where I drive in the UK. I was amazed when I first tried i-Go 2006 (uses same maps as TT6 as I understand) to find how outdated they were, being used to using Destinator.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: